The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Penguin Mentalism Lectures (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
duanebarry
View Profile
Special user
883 Posts

Profile of duanebarry
Quote:
On , Joaquin wrote:
I wish they will put the lectures in a DVD. Even if it is a home made type if video.

It is very hard to rewind or forward downloads .

Joaquin

It's hard to rewind or forward while streaming, but downloads should be easy to navigate.

Joaquin, have you actually downloaded the video to a file which sits on your computer, or are you watching it streaming right there on the Penguin webpage?
Jeff Wassom
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of Jeff Wassom
I've gotten something from every lecture. Sometimes I really enjoy the performer, but won't use the effects and vice versa. Peter Turner has probably been my favorite followed by Colin McLeod, but haven't been disappointed by any. There are about 10 more I'd like to order. Best value ever, especially the 5 for $100 deal.
SolidSnake
View Profile
Special user
534 Posts

Profile of SolidSnake
I liked Colin McLeod but I think that there was a little too much emphasis on effects that required other items. One of the items is very expensive - used in which hand - you will know what I mean if you have watched it. The other item, pad of paper, was about $30.

I have nothing against having to buy props and items. The lecture gave me some good ideas. However, I feel that out of the whole lecture, there was little that I could or would want to go and perform straight away.

On the other hand, Rowland was fantastic. However, I didn't care much for thetalia but it's not really my style.

Still to watch Bob Cassidy but it is a given it will be excellent.
There is no holy grail!
cc
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of cc
For those of you looking forward to a Marc Salem lecture, live or otherwise (Penguin), I would lower your expectations. I know Marc is a highly successful, well-respected member of the Mentalism community and I don't know him personally. But I saw him lecture a few nights ago with two dear friends and we were all very surprised by how "out of it" Marc was. He took about one hour to cover the first effect. After he performed it and explained it, he felt it necessary to show us a video of him doing it again before a live audience via an Ipod video projector, which he had trouble getting to work. There were four or five effects and they were explained just fine, but he seemed to be quite incoherent most of the time, repeating jokes, forgetting where he was, etc. He welcomed questions but then seemed to become annoyed by anyone who questioned the logic behind the routining. He gave us his credentials several times and seemed to get facts mixed up. For instance, "seven Broadway shows" became "eight Broadway shows" by the end of the lecture. He was also, shockingly, unkept. He's let the back of his hair grow very long, his beard and mustache aren't trimmed, his nails were long and he's very overweight. He wore natty black jeans with a suit coat that didn't quite fit. This is not the picture of the man in the last decade who was neat and polished and a top-notch performer. I do want to say that Marc was generally very nice and generous. He even provided his home number in case we had questions about the routines later. The overwhelming feeling as we left that lecture was one of great sadness. Perhaps those of you who know Marc or are close to him might shed some light on his recent state. I don't regret going and I have no ill will towards Marc. I was just expecting something grander.
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1475 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
Quote:
On Feb 23, 2014, cpbartak wrote:
There are Max Maven, Christopher Taylor, and Marc Salem ones planned for April.

Huge Max Maven fan. I had not heard this was happenning, but wouldn't want to miss it.
cpbartak
View Profile
Special user
Mooresville, NC
941 Posts

Profile of cpbartak
For those who do not know, save this link to quickly learn who will be on upcoming lectures:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/3104
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Ian Rowland
View Profile
Special user
London
889 Posts

Profile of Ian Rowland
I'm just popping in here to say thank you to those who've said nice things about my lecture. We live in a world where sometimes it seems people only speak up when they DIS-like something or want to have a moan (not that that ever happens in the world of magic, of course). So I appreciate the very positive tone of this thread.

I'm sure all the lecturers mentioned have plenty of good stuff to offer.

FWIW, my own favourite item, from the Penguin mentalism lectures I've seen, is 'Infinite End' by Patrick Redford. I dearly wish I had created this, but I know I would never have had the creative ingenuity and intellectual firepower needed to complete all the different 'paths' through the routine. I think it's a work of genius, personally.
www.ianrowland.com . Working Magic.
XyGreg
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of XyGreg
Thanks for your recommandation, I didn't know about this effect and it does looks great indeed!
Ba Ba Booey
View Profile
Special user
In Denver, I have no less than
548 Posts

Profile of Ba Ba Booey
I've got to say, Ian Rowland's lecture was in my top three that I've seen so far. I've seen him perform at Magic Live twice, and it was great being able to download his lecture from Penguin so that I can view it at will. For those who don't subscribe to Magic Magazine, Ian also has a column on mentalism every month that is just top notch! Big fan here, Ian!

-Mark
emptysafe
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of emptysafe
+1 for Ian Rowland's lecture
If you don't want to miss out what's happening on cafe & magic videos...check this:
http://magicdigest.herokuapp.com/
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
2827 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Quote:
On Feb 23, 2014, Jon W. wrote:
I know this post will be stating the obvious to most out there; however, there might be other unaware people like me who haven't checked into the penguin lectures who can benefit. I hesitantly did the choose 5 deal and picked 5 lectures and am very glad I did. Great information/insight for all. I like the overall atmosphere too of learning by seeing some of the best causally perform, interact, and explain what was performed. Helps me as a visual learner and overall fan of mentalism. Best money I have spent in awhile. Check them out if you haven't already.

For those that have watched some of these do you have a favorite so far? I have seen three of my five so far and like them all fairly equally although I think I have gotten the most out of the Richard Osterlind 2 lecture. I will have to purchase his first one down the road.

Peter Turner hands down the best I've watched so far.
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
2827 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Quote:
On Mar 9, 2014, Ben_cardall wrote:
Look forward to mr.salem's lecture!! I am quite looking forward to meeting him at the end of the month!!

Yes, very excited about the Marc Salem lecture as well! If you Google 'Marc Salem 60 minutes' there's a nice performance video worth 15 minutes of your time.
colin72
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of colin72
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2014, Ben Blau wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 23, 2014, cpbartak wrote:
There are Max Maven, Christopher Taylor, and Marc Salem ones planned for April.

Huge Max Maven fan. I had not heard this was happenning, but wouldn't want to miss it.

I just found out about Max a few days ago and I'm thrilled. He was the one person who I hoped would eventually come to Penguin.
Wilf Jonson
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Wilf Jonson
In his audio column in the March digital/online issue of Genii (available to subscribers), Max speaks about his upcoming Penguin lecture: some things he's found lacking in prior Penguin lectures, and some things he's going to focus on.
dzen871
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of dzen871
Thinking of Colin McLeod and Marc Spelmann - nads down! Can't wait for the Max Maven's lecture!
MagicFett
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of MagicFett
Just watched the osterlind pocket mentalism lecture brilliant, loved the soap boxing worth every penny!
sandsjr
View Profile
Special user
840 Posts

Profile of sandsjr
Bob Cassidy has a new one on Penguin focusing on Billets! Also, Bob's downloads for Q&A as well as remote viewing are very much worth the $$$.
Amro
View Profile
New user
Room 217
51 Posts

Profile of Amro
I liked Peter Turners lecture a lot. His approach is very interesting and I got many ideas from it.
chado158
View Profile
New user
Indianapolis, IN
80 Posts

Profile of chado158
Just curious how Marc Salem's Penguin lecture was last night? Any reviews?
sandsjr
View Profile
Special user
840 Posts

Profile of sandsjr
I wrote the following in another thread...

I have to be honest and say this fell way short of my expectations. I don't want to be hurtful but want to post my honest evaluation... FWIW!

Let me start by saying there are some nice ideas you can take and run with (you can refine to your liking), however, outside of "the gift" the lecture seemed to be mostly a compilation of effects that had some clever thinking but were flawed in some way (either in logic or handling or wow factor) In fact at the beginning of the lecture he states something along the lines of... these are not the methods or presentations I use in my shows. That's cool.

Here are some of the things I didn't particularly care for...

Bank Night
Don't exchange the last envelopes like that kids. Think about it just a little and you'll come up with a more logical and transparent (less awkward) way to do it. I believe however with a little thought this could be a powerful handling. (seems as though that little extra thought was missing from the lecture)

S****
Very surprised to see how (I hate to say it) amateurish this was executed. Plus, I use that type of ******k and would hardly call it the "worst." Try them all out and practice with whatever feels best to you. The key is to make it look natural. PRACTICE with one hand then two hands. Add gestures. Make it natural. But put the time in.

50/50 *********n
Would you really tear an en****** almost in ***f?

Humor???
I'm sure Marc's a nice guy, but I didn't find myself laughing too much.
Felt bad for the poor guy with the "hood" comment btw.

Swaying and rocking made me kinda sea sick. (surprised to see that)

Anyway, I've never seen Marc perform but have heard a lot about him. I'm sure his show is great but unfortunately you wouldn't know it from watching the lecture. Sorry again if this is hurtful in any way. I wanted to post my honest opinion as I appreciate the honesty of others when I'm evaluating a potential purchase. Please remember, this is just my opinion!

Again, there are some ideas here you can run with. But then again, there are a TON of ideas you can run with in Annemann for $12.00.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Penguin Mentalism Lectures (11 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL