The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Schrodinger's Balls (DVD and Props) by Rajan and Alakazam Magic - DVD (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Quote:
On Mar 2, 2014, Jamie Ferguson wrote:
So if someone has already bought this release and wants to perform it what do they now do?

Aye, there's the rub.
writeall
View Profile
Special user
Midland, Michigan
930 Posts

Profile of writeall
TStone, I thought about what you said (and thanks for the Genii link), and I had it wrong. I was an idiot to think the routine alone was the valuable thing, when the really valuable art here is in the man performing. Sadly, he is gone. Rather than griping, I should be happy there's something remaining at all.

So, anyhow, apologies for being a twit, and thanks again for the link.
TStone
View Profile
V.I.P.
Stockholm, Sweden
774 Posts

Profile of TStone
No need to put yourself down, and I'm in no need of any apology.
Stuff like this is seldom of concern for magic hobbyist, while it can be hugely important to those who have performing arts as a job.
So, unless someone tell you, you can't really be expected to know it. And I see that you've understood, and that is highly commendable!
TStone
View Profile
V.I.P.
Stockholm, Sweden
774 Posts

Profile of TStone
Quote:
On Mar 2, 2014, tomsk192 wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 2, 2014, Jamie Ferguson wrote:
So if someone has already bought this release and wants to perform it what do they now do?

Aye, there's the rub.

Since they've been tricked into buying something they have no rights to, by someone who had no rights to release it to begin with - the only option is to return it and get a refund, or find some other value in it.
RiffRaff
View Profile
Special user
670 Posts

Profile of RiffRaff
Wesley James
View Profile
V.I.P.
Hazlet, New Jersey
372 Posts

Profile of Wesley James
To all who may be concerned,
I am proud to say that Earl "Presto" Johnson was one of my dearest friends for well over fifty years. A more generous magician could never be named. His skill was incredible, his inventiveness limitless and his willingness to share all that he knew and created with other magicians was unwavering. He would teach any brother magician every detail of the magic he performed. He was confident that no one could perform his magic as he did but believed that others could use his material in their own way. He never sought fame or celebrity with magicians; he was a working professional who performed for lay audiences of all ages almost all his life.

I have never known a performer who was more loved by his audiences than Presto. I am sad that someone has taken his routine and is selling it without giving him full credit for it. Presto didn't invent the Balls Over the Head plot but he was, to the best of my knowledge, the first and for many years the only performer that performed it standing with sponge balls. The footage on Youtube is an accurate reflection of the way he performed it beginning at least as early as 1958, perhaps earlier. He would have been willing to share it with the magic community but it would only be fair that he be compensated for doing so. There is no Johnson estate. Sadly, due to a serious heart condition, he died, after depleting all his resources, in poverty, in a nursing home paid for by Medicaid. The appropriate thing for Alakazam to do would be to give what would be the appropriate fee to a charity that helps people with heart valve problems, as that is what caused Presto's death. When Presto passed, magic lost one of its greatest unsung performers. I am pleased and honored that I was able to call him my friend for almsot all the years of his life and mine.

Wesley James
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
He's sounds like a great man...

so isn't that a nice healthy solution? that alakazam release this, credit him (or even 'in honour of'_ = and then donate a percentage of the profits to The Heart Foundation?

everyone's happy that way...and such a shame the guy had to sell everything just to try and get well...
I've asked to be banned
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Quote:
On Mar 8, 2014, IAIN wrote:
He's sounds like a great man...

so isn't that a nice healthy solution? that alakazam release this, credit him (or even 'in honour of'_ = and then donate a percentage of the profits to The Heart Foundation?

everyone's happy that way...and such a shame the guy had to sell everything just to try and get well...

Hey Iain I agree. Perhaps the dvd could be redone with Presto's performance included.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
CarlMcCoy
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of CarlMcCoy
Sounds like a top idea to me. Like you say IAIN, eveyone will be hapy then...or at least, should be.
ostadler
View Profile
New user
Munich, Germany
62 Posts

Profile of ostadler
Hi all,

Hmm... I am in the situation that I bought this when it came out and now when I read the whole thread I had to come to a decision. Tough one! I really really love this routine a lot, it's fun for the magician to do it and it's a heck of fun for the spectators. Now as I am not a professional magician, just an hobby amateur doing routines for friends and colleagues only, I decided to do the following: I will perform it for my friends, but I just made a 45 Euro donation to the German Heart Foundation (Deutsche Herzstiftung). So that kinda picks up the idea of Wesley James. I hope that this is appropriate.

Greetings all,
Oliver
TStone
View Profile
V.I.P.
Stockholm, Sweden
774 Posts

Profile of TStone
Quote:
On Mar 10, 2014, ostadler wrote:
I will perform it for my friends, but I just made a 45 Euro donation to the German Heart Foundation (Deutsche Herzstiftung). So that kinda picks up the idea of Wesley James. I hope that this is appropriate.

I don't think it is.
Then Rajan is forgiven for stealing the work of someone else, without even having to do a single thing as restitution. That should not be rewarded.
Alakazam never had any business publishing it.
And despite what Wesley says, it is not his to give away either.

Besides, if you desire to be a vulture and will steal the routine anyway, it is by far better that you take it directly from the source; Presto's performance on YouTube, rather than to dilute it by learning it from a 2-bit hack like Rajan.

Tommy Wonder died in 2006. His act is all over YouTube, but so far no one have stolen his act.
Earl 'Presto' was no less a master, and died three years later, in 2009. Why should his work not be shown as much respect as Tommy's work? Ponder over that.

If several of Earl 'Presto's friends decide that it would be in Presto's honor to release his material - then they should do it, not anyone else, because they would make sure to let the viewer know who Presto was, instead of trying to hide away his existence like Rajan. And if 'Presto's closest friends decide they want to publish it via Alakazam, then it would be perfectly fine I guess - but that will in that case be a completely different project of a different nature.
Count Lustig
View Profile
Elite user
456 Posts

Profile of Count Lustig
Quote:
On Mar 11, 2014, TStone wrote:

If the routine is not Wesley James’ to give away, it’s certainly not yours to withhold.
TStone
View Profile
V.I.P.
Stockholm, Sweden
774 Posts

Profile of TStone
Quote:
On Mar 11, 2014, Count Lustig wrote:
Quote:

If the routine is not Wesley James’ to give away, it’s certainly not yours to withhold.

What kind of odd reasoning is that?
We should accept that 2-bit hacks put their own names as originators on the work of others? You defend Rajan's ripoff, and want people to forget that 'Presto' existed?

If a friend of yours pass away, and some complete stranger in a different country decides to give away your friend's belongings - you sincerely mean that neither you nor anyone else should protest?

I don't get your point. Are you so ghoulish that you'll rather ransack the pockets of the deceased than to earn your place in the world on your own merits? Or what is your point?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
Tommy Wonder died in 2006. His act is all over YouTube, but so far no one have stolen his act.

Only because his props are impossible to make, if you are speaking of his stage act. I don't believe he ever explained his stage act. The only item that was ever in print was his Belly Servante from his stage act.

Otherwise, I am sure there would be a number of "tribute acts" out there. LOL
TStone
View Profile
V.I.P.
Stockholm, Sweden
774 Posts

Profile of TStone
Quote:
On Mar 11, 2014, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Quote:

Only because his props are impossible to make, if you are speaking of his stage act. I don't believe he ever explained his stage act. The only item that was ever in print was his Belly Servante from his stage act.

Otherwise, I am sure there would be a number of "tribute acts" out there. LOL

His props are not impossible to make. Expecially today with cheap 3D-printers and the small desktop CNC mills on kickstarter.
Almost everything from his stage act is explained in his books, and the small remaining parts are easy to reverse engineer from the YouTube clips. With the exception of how the mechanical bird is built, everything else in the stage act is well known.
Anyone without ethics could easily steal Tommy's act - still no one have. So why should not Presto be shown the same respect?
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3640 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
We haven't heard Rajan's side of the story yet.

Please allow the man the courtesy of a response before picking up the pitchforks.
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Have you never seen Tom's pitchfork routine, Jamie? It absolutely slays people.
Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1020 Posts

Profile of Quentin
Quote:
On Mar 11, 2014, Jamie Ferguson wrote:
We haven't heard Rajan's side of the story yet.

Please allow the man the courtesy of a response before picking up the pitchforks.

Don't you think he has had plenty of time to put forward his story? I'm sure someone has told him about this thread.
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3640 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
Remember, he's a busy working pro.

I'm sure he'll pop by when he's not gigging.
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1020 Posts

Profile of Quentin
Quote:
On Mar 11, 2014, Jamie Ferguson wrote:
Remember, he's a busy working pro.

How do you know that?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Schrodinger's Balls (DVD and Props) by Rajan and Alakazam Magic - DVD (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL