The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Celebrities whose deaths genuinely upset you and why. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
This thread was spawned today when I was in my car for a two-and-a-half-hour drive up to Philly and back. When the death of Harold Ramis was announced on the talk radio program I was listening to, the hosts posed this question for folks calling in: Is there a celebrity whose death you were shocked/upset over and why?

So I'll start with John Lennon.

His death was one of those whose deaths, like JFK and a few others, in which I remember exactly what I was doing at the time. It was on the eve of my thirty-third birthday and I was chugging a few beers and smoking cigarettes in our family room reading resumes for a few positions I was hiring for. I didn't even have Monday Night Football on. It was right about eleven o'clock news time when the news broke on the TV channel that was on, but not being watched, when I couldn't believe what I'd just heard. When the bulletin was announced that John Lennon had just been shot, I was stunned. I grew up with the Beatles and Lennon was bigger than life. I couldn't believe it and to this day, I miss John Lennon. There are others too, but John had so much to offer us and he was cut down by a man whom I pray spends the rest of his days locked up thinking about the errors of his ways.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
Leonard Nimoy. He hasn't passed away yet, but I hate that he is sufferring right now due to smoking. Great actor. He also talks about the importance of staying away from cigarettes. He quit a long time ago but he waited too late to quit.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Most deaths upset me to some degree. Some more than others. Johnny Cash was a big one because I never got to see him. I did get to see Dio but am still sad that I'll never get to see him again. Ramis really has me down because I always had a small hope that they'd somehow find a way to make Ghostbusters III and make it good and now my admittedly unrealistic dream is completely crushed.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
9/11 took a toll on me, as well as Benghazi.
Dennis Michael
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Pete Seeger most recently.
In the past: Phil Ochs, John Lennon, Rachel Corrie, MLK.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I was a teenager when John Lennon was shot. I remember walking into the kitchen at home and finding my mother in tears. She told me Lennon had been assassinated. I told her he had died in 1922. Turns out I was thinking of Lenin. At that point I had not heard of John Lennon.

Most celebrity deaths leave me unmoved, but when Dermot Morgan (best known for the sitcom Fr Ted) died at 44, that shook me. So did Doug Henning's death. And I am sure Mohammad Ali will come as a shock.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Karen Carpenter - My high school favorite on the radio

John Lennon - Truthfully I did not care about his death at the time (Monday December 8th) But on Sunday December 14th at his funeral my life would be changed forever.

Christopher Reeve - He made me believe a man could fly. Many disagree with me... I thought he was a terrible actor; yet he WAS Superman.

Owen Hart - I never cared for him much as a wrestler, but in death he taught me something very important.

General. I am with you about Leonard Nimoy.

Michael Dunford - Most of you won't know who that is but he was the main writer and palyed acoustic guitar for the bad "Renaissance." A favorite of mine since 1977.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On , General_Magician wrote:
Leonard Nimoy. He hasn't passed away yet, but I hate that he is sufferring right now due to smoking. Great actor. He also talks about the importance of staying away from cigarettes. He quit a long time ago but he waited too late to quit.

Let's keep this in perspective. He's 82 years old and has COPD.
silvercup
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of silvercup
Quote:
On , Dennis Michael wrote:
9/11 took a toll on me, as well as Benghazi.

Yep.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Who were the celebrities who died in those places and how and why did their deaths effect you?
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1338 Posts

Profile of imgic
Buster Crabbe. He was one of the first Tarzans in the movies and also played Flash Gordon. In the '70's he was promoting swimming pools and was in our town. He asked for a volunteer and my dad practically thru me into the pool. Buster taught me how to swim freestyle and autographed a picture later. He was a great guy and helped start my live for swimming. He was truly a hard working classy gentleman and I was sad to hear of his passing back in '83.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Princess Diana. She was finally getting her life together and seems to have found someone who cared for her beyond her ability to produce an heir to the throne.

John Lennon would in fact be next. In the same category would be someone who hasn't been mentioned yet; Selina, a Latino pop star who was killed by the ex-president of her fan club.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
silvercup
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of silvercup
Quote:
On , mastermindreader wrote:
Who were the celebrities who died in those places and how and why did their deaths effect you?

That's a joke right?
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Not at all. That's what the OP asked for, right? Just interested in knowing how all those celebrity deaths at Benghazi effected you.
Tim Hannig
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago area
1149 Posts

Profile of Tim Hannig
I second Johnny Cash… I admire his faith, even with all of his struggles. I find him very authentic.

Wish I could have seen him perform live.
Author of PERFORM, the 2020 Magic Cafe Book of the Year

"I loved this book!" Ken Weber

"4 out of 4 stars!" Nick Lewin

"This will be a classic of magic!" Mark Pocan

performbettershows.com
silvercup
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of silvercup
Quote:
Not at all. That's what the OP asked for, right? Just interested in knowing how all those celebrity deaths at Benghazi effected you.

You name one and I'll consider your question valid.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Princess Diana. Such a beautiful yet tragic soul.

Michael Jackson. One of my heroes, regardless of his flaws.

RIP Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

There were none, unless you consider diplomats and State Department employees celebrities. That's why the answer you replied "yep" to was off-topic.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
We were bummed about Shirley Temple at my house for many reasons. One of which was that "Shirley Temple" was my fiancée's nickname as a kid because she looked just like her.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
silvercup
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of silvercup
Quote:
That's why the answer you replied "yep" to was off-topic.

Which is easily distinguished from your last few posts.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Celebrities whose deaths genuinely upset you and why. (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL