The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Tell me about yourself (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1686 Posts

Profile of Theodore Lawton
What are some other things you enjoy besides magic/mentalism? I know Laurie enjoys; and is good at, photography.

I used to play guitar until tendonitis and carpel tunnel made me give it up. I just started playing my bass again though. I'm hoping It will be easier on my hands than trying to do blues string bends.

I love cooking.

I like shooting baskets and kicking a soccer ball around for exercise.

What about you? Any hobbies? collections? What else do you do to enjoy life?
MobilityBundle
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas/Boston
120 Posts

Profile of MobilityBundle
I'm an enthusiastic cook. (In about a week, I'm going to revive a dormant thread on sous vide cooking. My immersion circulator finally came -- but I'm out of town).

My educational background is in math and physics. I still do a bit of recreational math, and to a lesser extent, physics.

I work in patent law, and as embarrassing as it might be to admit, I actually like it. Even if I quit patents tomorrow, I'd probably still follow patent law. Separately, but relatedly, I'm a bit of a techno-geek and often follow tech news.

I like traveling. My wife and I both work from home, so that frees us up to travel for long stretches at a time. (We don't have kids yet, so that also helps.) We typically do home exchanges, where we live in someone else's house and they live in ours. So we usually go two or three months at a time, living like locals wherever we go and saving substantially on hotel bills. In the past few years, we've been to Rome (twice), Barcelona, and Melbourne. We're trying to learn Italian, but our progress is kind of slow when we're not abroad.

And I like magic and mentalism... no, wait...
Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1686 Posts

Physics is amazing- what I understand of it. If I could do it all again I might pursue a science career. What on earth is recreational math though? lol Do you just experiment with different equations?

That sous vide cooking sounds interesting. Keep us posted.

The traveling and house swapping sounds pretty cool. I love to travel as well, but we don't do much of it because of the cost, time constraints, etc. I am looking forward to my son moving to the Seattle area so we have an excuse to visit!

How did you like Spain? Always wanted to go there.
MobilityBundle
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas/Boston
120 Posts

Quote:
On , Theodore Lawton wrote:
Physics is amazing- what I understand of it. If I could do it all again I might pursue a science career. What on earth is recreational math though? lol Do you just experiment with different equations?

That sous vide cooking sounds interesting. Keep us posted.

The traveling and house swapping sounds pretty cool. I love to travel as well, but we don't do much of it because of the cost, time constraints, etc. I am looking forward to my son moving to the Seattle area so we have an excuse to visit!

How did you like Spain? Always wanted to go there.

For me, recreational math comes in a few forms. I sometimes read (well, skim) blogs discussing stuff that used to be in my field, or slightly less nitty-gritty stuff written for a general mathematical audience. I also linger in forums and discuss math with confused undergrads (and confused former mathematicians, like myself). Finally, there are bite-sized problems. Not the sort of problems whose solution would advance one's career, but still a little harder than balancing one's checkbook. I sometimes enjoy playing with those.

Yeah, the home exchange thing is definitely the low-cost way to travel. Obviously you save on hotel bills, but moreover you have an actual kitchen, so you're not at the mercy of tourist-targeted restaurants.

Spain was great. Smile My wife and I spent our honeymoon there in 2005, but that was obviously a touristy kind of trip with the hotel in a busy tourist area. When we did our home exchange, we were maybe a 30 minute train ride outside the city. The trip actually got off to a rough start -- the airline lost our luggage, and we both got food poisoning right away -- but we salvaged a good couple weeks to enjoy ourselves. We had a great time... great food, great music, etc. We went in June / July though, and it gets HOT. June was bearable, but July was... well... HOT. Not bad with air conditioning, but sometimes that's hard to find around town.

We didn't really travel around too much... just stuck in Barcelona and the nearby towns. We were kind of adopted by the family of our home exchange partner, so we didn't do a lot of touristy stuff... we often just joined them in their normal social goings-on. But I would WAY rather have a nice lunch with new friends than go stand in line at a museum, so it worked perfectly. Smile
Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1686 Posts

Your outlook on travel is cool. I like the idea of having a kitchen too. You can really get the feel for a place by shopping and cooking and hanging out with locals like you do. In Germany that was one thing I really enjoyed- shopping in the Marktplatz on a Saturday and buying fresh foods to take home. Good times.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11159 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I collect vintage Halloween, die-cuts and noise makers mostly.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
I do a lot of cooking. We took my wife's family away for the weekend just gone and I had prepared confit duck for ten. For anyone who is not familiar, after initial preparation the duck legs are poached in duck fat for a couple of hours so that they are cooked through. They are then encased in clarified duck fat, and will keep for months without refrigeration. When ready to eat, they are just browned in a pan and briefly put in a hot oven to warm through. Very nice and heart-stoppingly unhealthy. It is also good with goose.

For ten duck legs I used...... 3.7 kilos of duck fat. Ouch.

We love travel too. The self-catering thing is always a winner, particularly with kids. My wife tends to help me out when we're away, as it is 'my job' at home. Although I did make a coq-au-vin on a camping stove in France a couple of years ago. That went down well.

We are planning a trip to the USA next summer. The children have never been and my wife only fleetingly so. The plan is to fly to New York and 'see the sights' for a couple of days, then fly to Albuquerque and road trip the Grand Canyon, painted desert and I hope Santa Fe. Then jump a plane to San Francisco to visit some friends before finishing up in Yosemite (where I have never been). As the trip might suggest, I love the countryside. All the more so because I live in the inner city.

The prospect of that trip will make the next fifteen months or so that much easier.
Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1686 Posts

Tom- Duck is delicious when properly prepared. Hey! Cooking at home is my job too! Smile But, we don't want to eat the wife's cooking. Smile Have fun in the States next year! The Canyon is always nice.

Michael- Do you have any pictures?
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Thanks man. Happily, my wife is a good cook too. She claims otherwise, but secretly is very confident that it's true. Which it is.

I haven't seen the Canyon in over twenty years, but I can still picture it. We drove through the darkness from New Mexico into Arizona in order to see it at dawn, and just for once my wise father had made a mistake. He had calculated the sunrise according to New Mexico, not allowing for the fact that Arizona does not 'do' daylight savings time. Hahaha. We were rather early, as he had judiciously allowed plenty of time in the first place.

Then we couldn't find the bloody thing.

"It's only the biggest f****** hole in the world," I helpfully quipped from the back seat. Kids, eh?

But the sight of it. The immensity. This is something that is entirely alien to an inhabitant of Europe. If you are from Britain or Ireland, the sheer power of the North American landscape hits you over the head like a brick wrapped in gorgeousness. And the way the colour changes as the sun rises? It almost makes me believe in a God...

I liked Wyoming, too.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I am a high school Physics teacher when I am not getting out of straitjackets and handcuffs.
I collect hand carved wooden kazoos. (I consider my self highly skilled at playing them too; no joke)
I collect novelty ties.
I used to be a professional wrestling referee.

Anyone think I am strange
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
I love you already! Smile
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11159 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
Theodore Lawton wrote:

Michael- Do you have any pictures?

No, but I should maybe try to do that.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Tom, when you visit California, work Los Angeles into your intinerary. I can get you into the magic castle.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
I have a CNA certificate with an expired license Smile
I have an AA in biology, a BA in psychology (minored in criminal justice), and in three and a half(ish) months will have an MSc in experimental psychology.
I've worked many various jobs, including paranormal investigator and ranch hand.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I'm a fan of applied (recreational) mathematics in the form of gambling (cards & sports betting). I'm into competitive gaming - chess (United States Chess Federation expert), bridge (American Contract Bridge League silver life master), poker, backgammon, Scrabble... In November, I won $1,000 in a single elimination chess tournament that had corporate sponsorship, and about a week ago, I won $4,900 in a poker tournament at the L.A. Poker Classic (7-stud high-low split; the final five of us cut a dal for the remaining prize money after the other hundred or so were eliminated).

I read a lot, write a lot, love music, movies, (vegan) cooking, psychology, politics, theater, philosophy, sports, and more. I play guitar and piano (complete hack). I teach LSAT classes and tutor privately, and I've written two books on it. I'm also a big boxing fan and historian (member of IBRO (the International Boxing Research Organization)), and I'm almost done with the first draft of a book on the history of the welterweight division. I'm a former lawyer (stopped renewing my bar dues), a former standup comic, a former journalist, and a current member of Toastmasters International.

Other than that, I try to keep my mom, my girlfriend, my friends, and my dog happy.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4141 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I'm in full-time ministry. I work in Ukraine and Venezuela - 2 countries that are undergoing some real upheaval just now. Singing is a real passion. I'm now playing Koko in a production of Gilbert and Sullivan's "The Mikado" - an odd role for a tenor to be cast in, but when I started out in theatre I did character roles, so I have experience with both leading man and character roles. This time there was someone whose voice was more correct for the tenor, but knew I could do the character role.

I love chess, but never had the time to devote to it.

I'm an information hound. I love learning new things, surfing the net. tasting new foods, meeting new people.

I used to get extremely nervous going over very tall highway overpasses, but am ok now, thanks God.

I played soccer from 1st grade though 7th grade, and then from 1994 - 2012. Mostly at forward. Played some goalkeeper, and almost liked it when a penalty kick was awarded to the other team because I liked the challenge.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
Quote:
I love chess, but never had the time to devote to it.

Go is a superior strategy game to Chess. Best computers and machines in the world haven't been able to beat a mediocre human Go player. Much more simpler game as well. Chess is more of a destructive game where Go is more constructive. I think some of best strategists in history really have came from Asian countries and Go reflects their way in thinking when it comes to strategy. You can apply some of the principles of Go or Chess in business strategy.

For example, destructive competition is usually price wars that drain the profits out of markets that businesses are competing over and the aim for each business is to completely defeat other businesses, which can be very costly to do where constructive competition is much more creative where businesses respond to each other by being more creative rather than trying to under-cut each other, which doesn't drain the profitability out of the markets they are competing in. The aim might not necessarily be to completely and utterly defeat the businesses you are competing with either because their is a lot of cost associated with attempting to do so and leaves you in a situation where even if you win, you still lose because of the tremendous cost of trying to achieve unconditional and total victory. You end becoming weaker than what you were before because of those costs.

I have played Go against my brother in law several times as well as opponents on the computer. Excellent game.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
If I told you about myself I'd have to kill you.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
Sony's release of PS4 appears to me be more of a Go type strategy and they have responded well by avoiding the strengths of Microsoft's Xbox console and attacking it's weakness, which is the new Xbox One doesn't have near as strong a GPU processor as the PS4. Avoid strength, attack weakness, certainly a Go type strategy in which many good Go players choose to attack a cluster of their opponents weak stones that are split off from the rest of the group. Gamers want graphics and performance which the PS4 delivers much better in that realm than Xbox One.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
MobilityBundle
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas/Boston
120 Posts

Quote:
On , LobowolfXXX wrote:
I won $4,900 in a poker tournament at the L.A. Poker Classic (7-stud high-low split; the final five of us cut a dal for the remaining prize money after the other hundred or so were eliminated).

I'm not dialed in to the poker world. Does that happen a lot? Is that the poker equivalent to a grandmaster draw?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Tell me about yourself (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL