We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » CV or Promo Letter?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
Hi all.

Not sure this is the right place to post this, but here it goes.

I have always wondered... is a magician, working/performing regularly at a restaurant or bar etc..., considered the employee at the venue, or is the owner of the venue considered the client.

And so, lately I was wondering, is it better to send a promo letter or a CV coupled with a cover letter when trying for a new job?

I appreciate your thoughts.
Yours,

Ivan
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On Mar 1, 2014, niva wrote:
Hi all.

Not sure this is the right place to post this, but here it goes.

I have always wondered... is a magician, working/performing regularly at a restaurant or bar etc..., considered the employee at the venue, or is the owner of the venue considered the client.

And so, lately I was wondering, is it better to send a promo letter or a CV coupled with a cover letter when trying for a new job?

I appreciate your thoughts.

Hi Niva,

In my experience working in America, the performer is not considered an employee of the venue, but rather an independent contractor and this is true of virtually all show business with obvious exclusions such as musicians in a professional symphony orchestra who are paid by the symphony itself. That said, some performers at certain major amusement parks are actually hired as employees of the park with the same benefits as other employees.

So the owner of the bar or restaurant in your example is your client and if you want to use this gig to leverage yourself into another venue, you would approach the "CV" in your promo packet by providing testimonials/recommendations from clients.

One word of caution: if you are still performing regularly at a bar, don't alienate your current client by asking to provide a recommendation for a competing establishment. Steady restaurant and bar gigs are good bread and butter gigs that allow you to connect with patrons of the establishment who will frequently hire you for their own private events. I haven't been in Europe long enough to understand how it works here but I can say that in Holland, I have yet to see any close up worker with a steady magic gig in any of pubs or restaurants I have visited and I have seen precisely two street musicians; it may well be quite different in Malta.

So, to sum up, the venue that "hired" you is your client, you do not want to do anything to lose that steady gig - unless some multimillionaire offers to build you a theater or something wild like that. Smile

Hopefully, other European magicians will chime in here as I really can only relay my experiences as to how it works in America.

Lastly, your post would fit in the Tricky Business section of the Magic Café so you might want to repost there. http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewf......44&70464

Slainte,
Vlad
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
Thanks man!!
Yours,

Ivan
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1278 Posts

Profile of imgic
You could also post this question in the "Table Hoppers &Party Strollers" section. Lots of folks work restaurants there.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
Thanks. I just posted in the tricky business section. I will see what happens and then maybe post there as well. Smile Thanks again, much appreciated.
Yours,

Ivan
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5725 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Promo Video of your performance to get an interview.
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » CV or Promo Letter?? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL