The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » CV or Promo Letter? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
Hi all.

I posted this in another section, but was advised it's much better to post it here instead.

I have always wondered... is a magician, working/performing regularly at a restaurant or bar etc..., considered the employee at the venue, or is the owner of the venue considered the client.

And so, lately I was wondering, is it better to send a promo letter or a CV coupled with a cover letter when trying for a new job?

I appreciate your thoughts.
Yours,

Ivan
Robin4Kids
View Profile
Veteran user
Lower Alabama
396 Posts

Profile of Robin4Kids
Normally when you perform at a restaurant or bar you are not an employee but are considered a contract worker. The only exception I have seen was when someone was hired for other duties (waiter, cook, bartender) in addition to their magic performances.

Anytime you are marketing yourself, any promotional materials you can send out can be helpful. I'm not sure that a CV would be necessary unless you are looking for full time employment. If you are particularly interested in working restaurants or bars, I would suggest you check out the Table Hoppers forum for some great ideas on this subject.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I think it would be a rare thing to be an employee. Unless you are on the payroll, taxes are withheld, any insurance that is offered to employees is also offered to you, and FICA and related withholdings are applied. Most of us are independent contractors and receive a 1099. Of course in Europe things may be different.

As for sending letters and such to restaurants, I'm all for neither. Getting restaurant gigs by sending promo is the kiss of death. You might get one, but it's an uphill battle.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20615 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Rules change pretty quickly gentlemen. Consult an accountant.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
Thanks for the feedback guys!

I have worked restaurants and such before, but was wondering whether I was doing it the right way.
Yours,

Ivan
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20615 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
And since you are in Europe you still don't have a good answer.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Niva,

What works best for me....
I usually send out promo material, something flashy and catchy with my website. So they can discover more about me- video's, resume, highlights from my career, press links, etc...

Now, I do have a a CV (resume) that highlights my career moments in entertainment. I usually send this out to agents, tv producers etc. So they can easily see my experience. Although my promo material highlights this in an interesting fashion, but I notice sometimes its good to have traditional layout for some people/cases/situations!

Cheers
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
You do that to get a restaurant, Curtis?
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
HMM- not for restaurant... In General.

For a restaurant send a postcard to the general manager, a week later send a different postcard to the assistant manager.

I got a few restaurant gigs that way... (back in the day when I did such type of gigs)

But a huge way I use to get Restaurants, I would go in after the lunch rush and chat with the manager on duty and offer them a free demo right on the spot with the guests that were dinning.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
"For a restaurant send a postcard to the general manager, a week later send a different postcard to the assistant manager. "

That is the most drawn-out, unproductive way to get a restaurant I have ever heard. Your second way is a much better approach, more productive and better use of your time.

I will never understand magicians who will stand in front of hundreds of people and do a show, but are afraid to walk in and sell themselves to a restaurant owner or manager.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10195 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Most people that are good in front of large audiences are quite uncomfortable one on one or to smaller groups (myself included).
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
I know I have heard that many celebrities (like Michael Jackson) were/are shy and uncomfortable in more intimate settings. This sounds like what Mindpro is speaking of. I had not thought of that when reading Starpower's post, but It does make sense now.
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
And how do you know when the owner is there and who the owner is? You go multiple times if necessary?
Yours,

Ivan
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10195 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Due diligence
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
How is a postcard going to help?

I would plan several stops to make my restaurant-seeking outing productive. I have never gone out and not booked a restaurant on my first time out. Once I booked two in an afternoon which resulted in 13+ years work.

I agree that some people are not good at one-on-one, but ... GET OVER IT. If you're doing close-up magic you had better learn how to meet people one on one, face to face.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » CV or Promo Letter? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL