The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What are they putting in the water... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5138 Posts

Profile of landmark
...in Idaho? I mean how does a bill like this get passed? (Apologies to all my Idaho-dwelling magi friends who I am sure have nothing to do with such nonsense.)

"Gov. C.L. "Butch" Otter signed a bill threatening people who secretly film animal abuse at Idaho's agricultural facilities with jail and fines.

Otter inked the new law Friday, two days after it cleared its final hurdle in the House.

Otter, a rancher, said the measure promoted by the dairy industry "is about agriculture producers being secure in their property and their livelihood."

The bill came in response to videos released by Los Angeles-based vegetarian and animal rights group Mercy for Animals showing workers at Bettencourt Dairy beating, stomping and sexually abusing cows in 2012.

Idaho's $2.5 billion dairy industry complained the group used its videos not to curb abuse, but to unfairly hurt Bettencourt's business.

Those caught surreptitiously filming agricultural operations face a year in jail and a $5,000 fine."

If you're from Idaho, I'd especially like to hear your take on this.

http://boisestatepublicradio.org/post/go......gag-bill
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
This can't fly. The courts will have to knock it down.

Does it seem that the level of stupidity in politicians is growing by the decade? Between the blatent self interest and the stupidity...I don't remember when it was all so public.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Well, fwiw, here is the other side of the story:

Idaho dairy responds to undercover video showing cow abuse

An Idaho dairy responded Wednesday to an animal rights group’s latest video showing the abuse of cows, saying the renewed attention is likely to spur more threats to its staff.

"We are the ones who will pay for what happens to our animals," family-owned Bettencourt Dairies said in a statement. "Yet the things in this world that take place every day, who will stop that, the bullying of our child when he steps foot in the public school, he had nothing to do with this."

Mercy for Animals on Tuesday released a clip from 2012 of a worker, who was eventually sentenced to jail, sexually abusing a cow. The video is being used to help fight legislation in Idaho that would punish people who go undercover to film at farms.

"We make sure all employees … are suitable to be around our cows, but then again people can lie on their applications and their last employer may not know they beat animals or have a record," the company said. "We were sick when we too were showed the video; they are harmless animals."

The dairy complained about the activists not following up to see measures, including security cameras, put in place to prevent a repeat of the abusive incidents documented in 2012.

"Do they really care about the animal???" Bettencourt wrote. "We have been in business for 30 years; you don't make it 30 years by beating animals, especially at the cost of the average cow."
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Well, that's a response detailing their response, and their corrections are laudable.

But, it has nothing to do with it being illegal to film illegal activities. Nor the ethics of pushing for that law.

It's real close to the passing of laws agianst filming polititions doing illegal activities. That's next, down the road, I'd bet.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Isn't this pretty much an attempt to criminalize whistle blowing?
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Mar 1, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Isn't this pretty much an attempt to criminalize whistle blowing?

I don't know. Seems whistle blowers can still monitor and make records of (possibly just not film) abuses. And call in the proper authorities when offenses are observed. If the dairies install security cameras to film the animals, as this one did, then the authorities could review the recordings to verify abuse claims.

The bill bans "surreptitiously filming agricultural operations" according to the news link. Is it okay if the filming is done openly, by an employee? Again, I don't know.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16346 Posts

Profile of tommy
Why can they not possibly film abuses? If the firm have control of security cameras which no doubt have they can do what they like and proper authorities couldn't verify abuse claims from the film. All the firm has is erace it or whatever. Notes are not so good as film. Which is why the cops do not like it when you film them.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27236 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Reason number x+1 to encourage Google Glass (or equivalent transparency technology) among all who care about the safety of others in their area in public. That includes animal abuse.

Are there operating standards and certifications for farms and slaughterhouses?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5138 Posts

Profile of landmark
It all reminds me of dysfunctional alcoholic families. Daddy denies he's an alcoholic and no one is allowed to say otherwise.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What are they putting in the water... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL