The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » I think I finally found her!!! (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
frankieacemagic
View Profile
Elite user
496 Posts

Profile of frankieacemagic
It's been over a year that I've been using Danny Orleans set up, rolling in luggage and setting up his table for my performances. It's not a bad set up, but a lot to lug around. I've known I wanted to convert to working out of a case ever since I saw Tommy James on his DVDs. I've looked EVERYWHERE both online and in brick and mortar shops. Nothing. The Lefler tables are wonderful, but so heavy. Most suitcase table stands are too small. So finally, I think this is it. Thought I'd share the link. I can't attach a pic. Says the file is too big.

https://www.dormsmart.com/mobile/Rhino-I......791.html

This trunk has great wheels, it's durable, very spacious (there's a larger one though), and not too heavy. It sits nicely on a luggage rack as well. And when the lid is open, you have enough of a ledge to set up many of your tricks. I added a plywood partition to keep everything from sliding around.

I have a quick question though. So do you all transport props inside bags (I use ziplock bags) inside your cases? If so, where do you put all of the bags during performance, and doesn't it take you awhile to put everything back in bags after a show? Or do many of you just lay your props in your case, cover them with towels, and not worry too much about bagging everything?

Thank you, friends!

--Frank
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
Frank.

Great find! Does it have a handle at the "top" of the trunck, (opposite side of the wheels). It shows a lot of pictures, but not that end.

BTW, for my prop storage, I have a cloth bag for each "delicate" prop that may scratch or get damaged. I use the ziplock for keeping the small props together.

Ken
frankieacemagic
View Profile
Elite user
496 Posts

Thanks Ken! Yep. Handles on both sides. Very strong. The handle opposite the wheels is longer than the other handle because that's the side you're pulling.

So do you have lots of little zip lock bags (like I do)? Takes forever to put it all away. For example, 2 halves of the zombie ball, comeback bee, misers dream coins, 21st century silks, sponge balls, mouth coils, throw streamers, etc. Just lots of little bags of stuff. I'm trying to find a faster system to pack up now that I've got a good trunk.

Also, where did you get your cloth bags?

Thanks Ken!
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
My wife sewed them. Nothing fancy, but with all the shapes and sizes, they had to be sewn individually. I try to reset as the show goes on, but I use a ditch bag for things that can't be reset quickly. At the end of the show, I try to reset the props back into the case from the ditch bag, and then I'm off. A few tricks have to be reset with out peering eyes, so I do that at the car as the trunk is going back into the vehicle.

Here's a tip, I have a seperate small bag for all the stuff that has to go into the pockets (TT, dye tube, silks & anything else that has to be on my person.) That way I can set up the case and in stand table, then step aside to fill the pockets from the bag. Once the small bag is empty, I know I'm ready to start. Hope that makes sense.

Ken
Eric Tyree
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of Eric Tyree
That makes perfect sense Ken. I too keep all the things that go on my person in a separate bag. Then you know your ready. It prevents me from digging through the case double and triple checking.
Eric Tyree
Magician, Juggler and Comedian
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
Quote:
On Mar 3, 2014, Eric Tyree wrote:
That makes perfect sense Ken. I too keep all the things that go on my person in a separate bag. Then you know your ready. It prevents me from digging through the case double and triple checking.

Takes the stress away, one less thing to worry about before hitting the stage. I keep a set list with the bag so I can review the show in my head as well. It's a simple word document, but it keeps me organized, and if booked again by the same group, I know exactly what I performed for them.

Ken
Codyreese
View Profile
New user
Salt Lake City
56 Posts

Profile of Codyreese
That's a great case! My current case is without wheels and its a bear to transport.
Bluesman
View Profile
Special user
Florida
569 Posts

Profile of Bluesman
Frank, thanks for letting us know about this case. I will look more into this.

Smile
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22842 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
You can sew bags for your props, I suggest the quilted material at the fabric stores. This material is often used for the oriental look for women's jackets. Just look for two sided material with white cloth padding sandwiched between. Silks can go in plastic bags, and all flat items can go in large plastic bags.

Yes, taking care of your props is a little added extra work to set up and break down, but it is best to not look like a slab when you are being paid.

That is a pricey foot locker, there are foot lockers on line that come with custom large wheels for less money then you found. And the wheels remove to look better, so wheels are not sticking out.

If you are using a case like one pictured, then make a cover to cover the cold look of the case. Have it go all the way to the floor and it will look like a 3 sided stand.
MikeDes
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal
1177 Posts

Profile of MikeDes
Here is another tip for small props. I bought some pencil cases at the Dollar store and velcroed them to the sides and inside the top of my case. I have three of them in my case. Works great!
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
Quote:
On Mar 9, 2014, MikeDes wrote:
Here is another tip for small props. I bought some pencil cases at the Dollar store and velcroed them to the sides and inside the top of my case. I have three of them in my case. Works great!

Great idea Mike!

Ken
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5765 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
For the kid shows, I use a colorful plastic tote on a restaurant tray stand. I attach a sign on the end and it looks pretty good. The tote is so light that I can lift an empty one with my little finger. They absorb considerable shock and protect the props quite well. I load mine with cardboard boxes, to act as dividers, to further protect the props.
frankieacemagic
View Profile
Elite user
496 Posts

Hi all! Thought I'd provide an update. So far, this case has been wonderful. It's not too heavy when completely filled, and it sits sturdily on a luggage rack. Scott Evans of LOOK Designs has nearly completed my cartoon logo, and I'll be affixing it to the case top. Can I just say that man is astounding at what he does?!

I will say, the wheels in the case take a bearing, and they have worn a bit already. But they sell replacement wheels. Lots of room in the top of the case to staple felt pockets as Tommy James did with his ATA cases. Overall, I'm pleased with the investment! I was going to have one custom made with nearly the same specs, and it would have been the same price. This moves me from show to show smoothly and reliably!

Cheers, everyone!
frankieacemagic
View Profile
Elite user
496 Posts

Oh, and per Bill's comment, these wheels do remove with a twist. I take them off before every show Smile Sorry I didn't point that out!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22842 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I seen a similar trunk on WalMart's website, maybe the same thing, and a little cheaper in price.

Thanks for the update, frankieacemagic, knowing that give another benefit to using this trunk.
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1194 Posts

Profile of danfreed
I use a trunk on wheels, but not as heavy duty as the one you use, but it's a lot lighter too. I had an upholstry shop cut some foam padding to size and have a foam divider piece I can use also - but I didn't end up needing the foam anyway cause I don't put fragile stuff in it. I also use a Lefler style suitcase table, and the more fragile stuff goes in there, and I use the trunk for puppets and a kind of big square circle and a few other things. The trunk can be set-up on top of a keyboard stand or a waiter food stand - though I haven't used the stands so far cause I'm concerned the kids might knock it over and get hurt. I might get a telscoping handle like on suitcases and attach it to the trunk so I don't have to lean over so much when pulling it. Trunks are a bit of a pain to get through doors unless someone holds the door.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Frankieacemagic, thanks for this link. I've been looking for a replacement for my Lefler roll-on table for ages now. With some creative thinking, I just might be able to adapt this trunk to stand upright during my shows.... (anybody know any creative thinking prop builders out there?)
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
dlcmagic
View Profile
Special user
887 Posts

Profile of dlcmagic
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2014, arthur stead wrote:
Frankieacemagic, thanks for this link. I've been looking for a replacement for my Lefler roll-on table for ages now. With some creative thinking, I just might be able to adapt this trunk to stand upright during my shows.... (anybody know any creative thinking prop builders out there?)

Jay Leslie http://www.thehouseofenchantment.com/

Dan Wolf http://www.smmagic.com/
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Thanks so much for those links. The Jay Leslie table looks perfect. Does anyone on here own one?
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5181 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On Apr 19, 2014, arthur stead wrote:
Thanks so much for those links. The Jay Leslie table looks perfect. Does anyone on here own one?

I had the large one for several years of Kids shows, table hopping and bar magic (even used it for some outdoor strolling). They are great quality.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » I think I finally found her!!! (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL