The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Heartstrings Peter Samleson (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Vraagaard
View Profile
Inner circle
Copenhagen, Denmark
1479 Posts

Profile of Vraagaard
Hej Fellow magigicans

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDQi_eWBba4

Any recommendations out for this. I'm interested in the close up situation for this piece of magic.

Best regards

Jan
Vraagaard
View Profile
Inner circle
Copenhagen, Denmark
1479 Posts

Profile of Vraagaard
Hmmm, the effect gets lot of praise from Bill Abott and on Elmsley Magic its included in Paul's picks. However nobody seems to have bought it, since there are no reviews or references to it anywhere. Could it be a hidden gem? Peter Samleson is doing a live lecture in a couple of days online at Penguinmagic, but it is not featuring the Heartstring effect.

Well, if anybody knows the effect I'm curious about its close up potential, and why it should be better than other versions.

Best regards

Jan Smile
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
As far as Heartstrings being done close-up it has the same draw backs as all the other versions for do it close-up. Namely, preparation and repeat performances.
smullins
View Profile
Special user
United States
678 Posts

Profile of smullins
The routine is great itself and has a LOT of lessons built on on presenting magic on a stage. Specifically presenting close-up magic on a stage.

As for the set-up in a "strolling" environment Eugene Burger teaches a fantastic way to set up multiple performances with minimal pocket space.
Shawn Mullins

www.MullinsMagic.com
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
This strong, strong magic has stood the test of time, it's been done all over the globe for hundreds, if not thousands, of years.

Peter --through seven years of hard study and work, and in collaboration with colleagues and a director-- has made this fine magic into a touching Miracle!.

It is one of the most beautifully perfect moments in magic imaginable. The help and skill he now offers others invaluable no matter what presentation fits your style.

I've seen it done very successfully for two people, thirty people, and four hundred people. This can be pure Magic in any act-- if you put your heart and soul into practice and presentation and premise.

If you knew Peter and knew the effect no "review" would ever be necessary.
My two-cents, Walt
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Peter's presentation is great. As regards doing this close-up ... if you rehearse your angles properly, you'll have no problem. I've done my version of this trick for years in my preschool shows, where I'm just 2 feet away from my audience, which could be anything from 10 to 60 kids.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
Performing gypsy thread close-up won't be a problem.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
I have yet to see the DVD or any of the instructions in this effect, but I have seen Peter do this in person and it is fantastic. Going on that alone, this product would be more than worth the cost.

As far as performing Gypsy Thread close-up, I have never had a problem. In fact, after having worked out how to manage it, I often stand behind a seated audience member at a table. I reach around them and place the broken pieces onto the remaining strand, then proceed to pull the thread to its restored state. This is just inches from their face, and I know I am not the only one that does it this way.

Just for the record, I concur with the post Walt Anthony made above!
Vraagaard
View Profile
Inner circle
Copenhagen, Denmark
1479 Posts

Profile of Vraagaard
Personally I also don't have any problems with the gypsy thread close up. I was merely asking whether Peter Samelsons method was well suited for a close up performance?

Can anybody who perform Peters method comment on that?

Best regards

Jan
Jac -dutch-
View Profile
Regular user
The Netherlands,
175 Posts

Profile of Jac -dutch-
I 'm wondering about the difference about the dvd of Peter and WGM gypsy thread.
What makes it to buy this dvd? A routine, a song (if you like to) and else?
The dvd from WGM shows different kinds of routines.
I 'm have nog problems to buy it, even the higher costs. But it's about sense and logical: Why?! What does Peter teach me more than the other dvd? That's make the reason to make the buy final.

Best Regards
Jac
Trekdad
View Profile
Elite user
Telford, PA
445 Posts

Profile of Trekdad
There is a lot of great thinking here by Peter on presenting this effect on stage, with sincerity and other tips in addition to his fantastic routine and musical score composed specifically for this effect's atmosphere and timeframe. I have invested in I believe all of the various DVDs and pamphlets on this effect because it's one that is in my standard repretoire. Of course, the basic mechanics of the sleights involved in accomplishing the effect are the same across most of the available instructional materials. I have the WGM DVD, Gypsy Balloon DVD and others, but still spent the money to get this from Peter. It was a good purchase for me and I learned addiitonal subtleties. Of course, for one not familiar with the basics of the accomplishing the effect, Peter covers these points as well.
Barnhardt: You have tested this theory?
Klaatu: I find it works well enough to get me from one planet to the next.
The Day the Earth Stood Still
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Dec 8, 2014, Jac -dutch- wrote:
I 'm wondering about the difference about the dvd of Peter and WGM gypsy thread.
What makes it to buy this dvd? A routine, a song (if you like to) and else?
The dvd from WGM shows different kinds of routines.
I 'm have nog problems to buy it, even the higher costs. But it's about sense and logical: Why?! What does Peter teach me more than the other dvd? That's make the reason to make the buy final.

Best Regards
Jac

You answered your own question. You are correct, he teaches you a routine, and a "Presentation" how to perform this trick, The other resources just teach you the method and moves to accomplish the trick. If you are a very creative and personable person who can put his personality into his magic tricks turning them into magic and not simply a "trick", I fooled you. Then you are way ahead of the everyone else.

So if all you are happy with is, I have a string, I break it into multiply pieces, and now it is restored, then fine, any of the books or DVDs will teach you that. If you do close-up and stand up shows in front of an audience of 30 or more people, then the Samuelson version may help you.

Another thing to consider, is watch the video, that is the routine, if you don't like the music, the way it is performed or anything you see and hear, then don't buy it, it is not for you.

Then go with the multi version DVD and create your own presentation and routine.

Just have fun whichever decision you make.
Jac -dutch-
View Profile
Regular user
The Netherlands,
175 Posts

Profile of Jac -dutch-
Thank you Trekford and Bill Hegbli.

I preciate the messages. You have confince me to buy the dvd. Smile Sometimes I need just advise from experiance people.
I will buy this one soon.
I just need a visual effect for a finalpresentation for my study over a half year. So I have a half year for practising.
I keeping touch.
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
I saw Peter perform this in July. It was the best presented Gypsy Thread I've seen anywhere.
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1724 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Peter Samleson isn't the only one who teaches you a routine and a presentation to the old Gypsy Thread effect. The second person I know of was Gary Ouellet.

In his booklet he talks about the history of the effect, the method he used, the way to present it with a storyline and to music...

Oliver.
Jac -dutch-
View Profile
Regular user
The Netherlands,
175 Posts

Profile of Jac -dutch-
I have the dvd bought and seen. His version of is exceptional! Absolutly the best!
I have bougt all 4 dvd's (also WGM, String Theory and Gypsy Ballon). For learning the best version to show for people and a version I need te learn for explaning a problem for my education. The dvd is absolutely the money worthe.

WGM: I really like it to see how to perform the effect at different ways!
Gypsy Ballon: Just for education.
String Theory: Totally Different effect and version. but very nice and it have absolutely potential to make it a greater effect!

So Thank you very much!!
NEKKODDD
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of NEKKODDD
I recently saw Peter do his Heartstrings in his live lecture. What an amazing gypsy thread routine. Five star! I bought the trick.
The Gold Coin
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of The Gold Coin
I saw Heartstrings at Peter's live lecture as well. I think his presentation is a *huge* part of the magic.
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1715 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
I bought Peter's DVD and like it very much. It is a nice combination of drama, romance and levity into a smooth presentation. I am also a huge fan of Jeff Hobson's presentation in addition to Tony Clark. I couldn't agree more with Jeff's comments as to study these presentations and techniques for inspiration to create you own routine that fits your style and story. I use the Gypsy Thread for everything from Close Up to Stage without any reservation.

Dan.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Heartstrings Peter Samleson (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL