The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » The Secret Art of Magic (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Endless West
View Profile
Regular user
A town called Malice
185 Posts

Profile of Endless West
Some of you may recall a couple of months ago when I was searching high and low for a copy of this book. I've heard it's one of the best books on the subject of street performance. Well, I finally got my hands on a copy!! So far I've only read the first half (Eric Evans) and I have to say it is absolutely everything everyone has said. I have read a few different things on street theatre and busking, but this book has bypassed all of the others by far.
I was lucky enough to find it in the private collection of a friend who keeps the local IBM library.
This book is a definite confidence booster!
Thank you to everyone who was pointing me in different places that still had copies for sale. Unfortunately they were ALL sold out. Fortunately, however, there was one under my nose the whole time.
Stperformer
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of Stperformer
Das ist großartig! Happy to hear you finally obtained a copy. Smile Eric's works are absolutely brilliant!!!!!
silvercup
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of silvercup
Nowlin Craver is no slouch either.
Eric Evans
View Profile
Special user
Rio Grande
668 Posts

Profile of Eric Evans
Without Nowlin, it wouldn't have been a third the book it is.

The man is anything but a slouch.

Brilliant? Yes. Any number of superlatives would work.

As to the subject of this thread, I know I can speak for Nowlin as well when I say that we are most thankful our book has been received so well. If it has lasting value however, Nowlin's section is the reason why.
Stellan
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
580 Posts

Profile of Stellan
It is indeed, at least in my opinion, a milestone in magic theory. It was really a deed to see and explore the connections between the 36 strategies and magic, in particular street magic. Hats off to both of you.

I wonder how many magicians do actively use this thinking to improve their magic? I am one.

I also wonder what has happened with this knowledge since 2003?
It is hardly something that can be considered as something finished.
Is there anybody out there who tries to evolve and contribute to the thinking and practice of the 36 strategies in magic?
Are there any discussions going on?
"There is no reality, only perception."
Eric Evans
View Profile
Special user
Rio Grande
668 Posts

Profile of Eric Evans
When we first published the book, Nowlin and I purposefully stayed away from discussions and reviews so that magicians would feel free to present their thoughts without us peering over their proverbial shoulder.

Unfortunately, there was very few (read: none) opinions presented about the 36. So we waited, hoping the 36 would eventually be accepted for what it is: the Unified Field Theory of Misdirection or Dispersion.

As I've ventured about I've heard from numerous magicians, in private, that they enjoyed the book and found it very informative. Though I'm thankful for the sentiments, I find it strange that such opinions are expressed only in private. As if magicians don't want anyone else to know how highly they regard the book.

Stellan, in answer to your question, yes, there's been a discussion going on in my head, weighing, applying, and testing the 36. Eventually I may write another book that illuminates my experiences. But no, there's no other discussion anywhere else that I'm aware of.
strat1227
View Profile
Regular user
Florida
189 Posts

Profile of strat1227
One of my biggest regrets about magic is when I moved from Florida to Denver, I left a lot of my stuff behind, including "The Secret Art of Magic" and "To Lure with Spectacle"

I've read both cover to cover at least twice, but they're both excellent references that I miss dearly.
Robertology
View Profile
New user
Michigan
55 Posts

Profile of Robertology
Oh, man, those are the two books that have my interest right now. I'm not able to get them just yet but they're at the top of my list. My wife sometimes pokes fun at me for keeping so much stuff but it's such good stuff! Smile
- Robert
Stellan
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
580 Posts

Profile of Stellan
Quote:
On Mar 6, 2014, Eric Evans wrote:

Unfortunately, there was very few (read: none) opinions presented about the 36. So we waited, hoping the 36 would eventually be accepted for what it is: the Unified Field Theory of Misdirection or Dispersion.

As I've ventured about I've heard from numerous magicians, in private, that they enjoyed the book and found it very informative. Though I'm thankful for the sentiments, I find it strange that such opinions are expressed only in private. As if magicians don't want anyone else to know how highly they regard the book.

The 36 is also a way to understand what is going on in the world. It seems to me that you have been victim to the very first strategy (in your book nr 24): "Cross the Sea Without the Emperor Knowing" that is the strategy to hide something in the open. It is also said that if you want to hide a secret then publish it.
But I also think that this is a huge material to digest. At least my first experience was that I found pieces of gold in the book, but it was also so much that it "muddied the water". You can't expect someone to digest it after one or even several readings. You have to live with this thinking in order to come through the surface. After my first reading I didn't know even where to begin a discussion or how to look at it in a more critical way.
"There is no reality, only perception."
g.albinana
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of g.albinana
If someone can sell me a copy of the book (also lecture notes would be wonderful) will be much appreciated
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Yes! The REAL SECRETS OF MAGIC, ARE IN BOOKS! Especially, books written by authors WHO make you THINK!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » The Secret Art of Magic (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL