The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Old bottle of Cognac - still good? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4166 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I found a very small bottle of Cognac that my wife had from the mid-80's, probably, It is like an airplane bottle, probably between 1 and 2 oz. The bottle is glass, and has an aluminum (?) cap. I opened the bottle and you could hear the tiny clicks/pops of the cap as it opened, so it appeared to be well-sealed.

I took a sip and while very strong-tasting, I didn't notice anything funny about the taste...Unlike a similarly old bottle of Cabernet she had that smelled more like vinegar than anything else! Smile

Just curious if Cognac is safe to drink after so long? My early snooping around results say that, as long as you don't notice something REALLY weird, Cognac will last about as long as you like from a safety viewpoint, if stored properly, yet the alcohol content can diminish, especially after opening. Any thoughts?
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
It's fine to drink it. If it's only a 2 oz. bottle and passed the sip test, I would have downed it before I had time to ask about it!
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2556 Posts

Profile of critter
What could go wrong?
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Not much. Cognac keeps for ages.

Quote:
The first thing to understand is that Cognac does not continue to age once bottled. This means that storing a bottle for 10 years (or more) will not make it any older – the contents will remain the same age as they were when they left the barrel. However, this doesn’t mean that it’s not worth buying an exceptional bottle and storing it for as log as you like. As we’ve reported many times, there are a great many people who’re investing in high-end Cognacs, rather than entrusting their money to the coffers of the banks.

http://blog.cognac-expert.com/how-to-store-a-cognac-bottle/
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4166 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On Mar 3, 2014, critter wrote:
What could go wrong?

I didn't know, but thought it would be wise to ask before ingesting something that is upwards of 30 years old Smile
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2556 Posts

Profile of critter
That was supposed to be a joke because people always say "what could go wrong" and then something does. But internet... tone...
~Will Rogers
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
You are generally safe with Cognac, I've had 80 year old stuff and lived to tell the tale. My vintage port is nearing the 30 year old mark, and we didn't start drinking it until it was 25 years old....
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
When I was 14 I 'wandered' into the wine cellar of a millionaire I knew. I found myself surrounded by a vast array of crates and bottles. I took a lone bottle of cognac from a shelf, smuggled it home and drank it.
This bottle, I later found out, was bottled in 1814 and had been bought as a single lot from a major auction house. Almost 200 years old and very yummy it was too.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2556 Posts

Profile of critter
I once drank 30 year old scotch. Now I have a third leg.
~Will Rogers
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Mar 4, 2014, critter wrote:
I once drank 30 year old scotch. Now I have a third leg.

If it was more than four hours ago, call your doctor immediately.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2556 Posts

Profile of critter
Can't... too lightheaded.
~Will Rogers
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Really old wine is often undrinkable, (depending on the grape, etc), but changes hands for thousands without ever being opened.

Some wines should survive okay, (but you won't know until it's too late!), yet they have to be drunk immediately, as oxidisation will be so rapid.

'Vertical wine tastings' are really interesting, where you taste different years of the same chateau (or vineyard- I'm showing my preferences there). It will really show how the wine develops with age, particularly if you restrict it to 'great years'. Interesting to taste the difference after claret, for example, has started to fade from being in the bottle too long.

Cheers!

(Jugglestruck, I am jealous. Brandy from Napoleonic Europe? You lucky, lucky man.)
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5138 Posts

Profile of landmark
Send in unmarked carton marked "landmark." I will taste test for you.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Old bottle of Cognac - still good? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL