The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Reducing Rabbit Stink (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
I had noticed that my bunny was more stinky than usual, especially with the New England winter upon us and the window being closed in the room she is kept. No ventilation made the smell that much worse. The smell was different than usual, it was not really the typical animal/farm smell which I was used to, it actually was more like a bad B.O. smell! I clean her cage regularly, but I had not given her a bath since I got her last Fall. I gave her a bath and cleaned her cage thoroughly two weeks ago, but a day later, the same B.O. smell started to eminate. Is this a normal smell? Is there a particular product which is good for reducing a rabbit's odor? I don't want to produce a stinky bunny at my next kids show!
You don't drown by falling in the water;

you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
JustinDavid
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of JustinDavid
Well I've never had that problem but.. there are items at the local pet store you can pick up to spray in their cage to deodorize it. I'm pretty sure there is a non scented one and a citrus scented one. I'm not sure of the name but I'm positive they will know what you talking about at the pet shop

Best regards,
Justin
Newly renovated and ready to be explored:

www.JustinDavidMagic.com
Magicduck
View Profile
Elite user
Washington State
484 Posts

Profile of Magicduck
I do not know just what the source of the problem is but rabbit urine is pretty nasty stuff. People talk about the "raisins" rabbits leave but they are not a big deal at all. If you have not, try putting a kitty litter tray, with litter,for the rabbit to use in the hutch. . I had a rabbit that always used it. Then you can dump it daily. That should help.
quack
glodmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
501 Posts

Profile of glodmagic
What type of bedding are you using?
Contrary to popular opionion Cedar chips actually makes the odor worse by reacting with the ammonia component in their urine.
MagicDuck's kitty litter is a good solution.
If you use wood chips the pine ones don't have the same reaction as cedar but still can hold odor.
The Best bedding, although expensive, is a special recycled material called "Carefresh".

I have owned and raised oodles of rabbits and can say I have rarely "bathed" them. Even then it was only a bottom side wash to brighten the fur when soiled. I gave heard that bathing some animals removes the natural oils and actually cause odor though I am not sure that applies to your situation.
Remember ANY of your posts here can be Googled by your customers and Clients. Just entering your name in Google can bring up your negative comments that stay for years!
JustinDavid
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of JustinDavid
Carefresh is a great product as well as aspen bedding from the local pet store. Absolutely under NO circumstances should you use cedar bedding. It is to smaller animals as cigarettes is to humans. It causes respiratory diseases. People say that they have used it their whole lives and not had one problem with it, but I steer clear of it.
Newly renovated and ready to be explored:

www.JustinDavidMagic.com
themagician64
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of themagician64
Some Cedar chips are not good for animals. They have been chemically treating it. Make sure you get it from a respectable pet store!
may the Greats Live On!
zaubern
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle, Wa
335 Posts

Profile of zaubern
I don't know if this would work, but I have used it to deodorize other things so who knows. Start by cutting an orange or other citrus fruit in half, then scoop out the fruit and finally fill it with baking soda. Place some of these around the area and hopefully it helps.
Zaubern Smile
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
I don’t know if it would work with the rabbit or not, but onions are known to soak up strong orders, such as paint odors etc. Maybe placed outside the cage.
I really think your best bet is to use a litter box as mentioned above.

Tom Boleware
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I would strain any cedar chips.....

Also rabbit doo doo is great for making compost tea. THis is wonderful on a lawn or plants. They bottle it and sell it here in Texas:)
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
HI,
has she been spade?
maybe she has come of age and bunnies have a permenant season some female bunnies give off more of a hormonal cent than others
Phillip
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
Hello,
Since posting this question in early January, I have since switched from Cedar Chips, to CareFresh bedding. The difference is unbelievable, there is virtually no smell anymore from her cage. CareFresh is an awesome product for your bunny. Unfortunately, it is a great deal more expensive than any Wood Chips, but my bunny is the star of my show, and she deserves star treatment! I only used Cedar Chips for a few months when I first got her, only because I didn't know any better. Thanks to the Café, I learned of CareFresh and my bunny appreciates it.
You don't drown by falling in the water;

you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Have you give the rabbit a bath lately? All animals need a bath once-in-a-while. Just put on your rubber suit and go to it, or take it to a groomer.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Reducing Rabbit Stink (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL