The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Whatever would Randi say? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Just found this while reading G.K. Chesterton:

"For instance, the sort of man who brags about having 'shown up' sham magicians or poor quacks of any sort - he's always got a small mind. He is the sort of man who 'sees through' tramps and trips them up in telling lies. I dare say it might sometimes be a painful duty. It's an uncommonly base pleasure."
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Shamans are the scum of the earth.

Randi should expose the lot every chance he gets.

I do.

Base pleasure my arse...
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Ahahahaha. I thought you'd 'like' it, Pakar. Smile
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
I see what you did there, Tom... Smile
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Smile

And of course, Chesterton was a tireless apologist for 'the one true faith', in which role he does present us with something of an open goal. But I'm fond of his stories. In the same volume, one of the characters upbraids another by comparing him to, "a schoolboy who shouts 'I know how you did that!' when seeing a conjurer's trick". So not all bad then...
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Conjurers, Magicians, Mentalists and other mystery performers are my people.

Entertainment and artful mysteries are what we contribute to the betterment of society. Or at the very least as that escapism towards joy, wonder and inspiration.

Shamans I can do without.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Eh. My best friend grew up on the Rez and practices Shamanism. IMO, it's no less useful than psychodynamic therapy Smile
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Quote:
On Mar 5, 2014, Pakar Ilusi wrote:

Entertainment and artful mysteries are what we contribute to the betterment of society. Or at the very least as that escapism towards joy, wonder and inspiration.

I'm with you. To be fair, elsewhere he makes a case for 'the honest charlatan', by which he seems to mean mind-readers etc. Like you, and I, it's the people who claim real powers who he really loathes.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On Mar 5, 2014, critter wrote:
Eh. My best friend grew up on the Rez and practices Shamanism. IMO, it's no less useful than psychodynamic therapy Smile

Then he should just lose the supernatural shamanistic mumbo jumbo and practise psychodynamic therapy. Smile

If it is just good.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On Mar 5, 2014, tomsk192 wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 5, 2014, Pakar Ilusi wrote:

I'm with you. To be fair, elsewhere he makes a case for 'the honest charlatan', by which he seems to mean mind-readers etc. Like you, and I, it's the people who claim real powers who he really loathes.

:-)
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
I don't condemn anyone's beliefs. If he believes in spirit animals and stuff like that then good for him if it makes people happy. I only have an issue when people are coerced into following someone, like with Jonestown and those kinds of groups.
~Will Rogers
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
I don't condemn anyone's beliefs. If he believes in spirit animals and stuff like that then good for him if it makes people happy. I only have an issue when people are coerced into following someone, like with Jonestown and those kinds of groups.

'Brother, you can believe in rocks. Just don't throw them at me.'

- Wafa Sultan -
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Pretty much.
~Will Rogers
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
763 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
I only have an issue when people are coerced into following someone, like with Jonestown and those kinds of groups.

Yep, that's how I feel. That's why I have a problem with the AGW religion though. That coercion thing.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Gentlemen, kindly desist. This thread has been very civilised. We'll have no crudely wielded shoehorns here, please.

What are your feelings about G.K. Chesterton, rockwall?
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
763 Posts

Profile of rockwall
To be honest, I wasn't at all familiar with him. After reading what wiki says about him, he sounds quite colorful and I suspect I would have liked him. Also, quite prolific.

One quote struck me as pointing out how the more things change the more they stay the same.

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected."
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Brilliant quote! That sums up his approach beautifully. Here's one that I imagine we can all relate to:

"And as the Capitalists all reported that, to their positive knowledge, he was a Bolshevist; and as the Bolshevists all testified that he was a reactionary rigidly attached to bourgeois ideologies, it may be inferred that he talked a certain amount of sense without any appreciable effect on anybody."
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
That Wickerpedia quote sounds like something Will Rogers would say Smile
~Will Rogers
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5022 Posts

Profile of landmark
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Whatever would Randi say? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL