The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk to egg performance question (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magic Rik
View Profile
Loyal user
Eastern Canada
296 Posts

Profile of Magic Rik
I decided to use the Silk to egg second in my shows last month. I am always a little leery of having a raw egg in my pocket for too very long.

Do any of you who do Silk to Egg use a hard boiled egg and peel it and eat it at the end?
Magic Rik

Life itself is magic - I just want to help a bit!

https://www.facebook.com/Magic.by.Rik
brody
View Profile
Inner circle
Omaha
1313 Posts

Profile of brody
Nope. Raw only. I suppose you could also try a confetti filled egg, but that screams "gaffed egg".

I put the egg in my pocket as I start the trick, so it's only in my pocket during this trick.
Walking Bob
View Profile
Elite user
499 Posts

Profile of Walking Bob
I have always thought the hard boiled egg idea would be interesting, but have never tried it.

Walking Bob in Iowa
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
There has been a "rebirth" of interest in the "sucker egg"! (Although, I don't think it ever "died"!)

Within the past year (or so) there was a long thread, with many worthwhile ideas and comments.

IMHO A RAW egg is only way to do it. brody (posted above) has given you the "real work", which many pro's do.

BTW: Karrell Fox published an ultra simple silk and egg routine in one of his books. I did the trick regularly, when I was a young man.--and I still use it occasionally,today. It's super strong. I always used the smallest egg that I could find. Someone had told me that the smaller the egg, the thicker the shell.

I understand that Bob Sanders can supply a very well made "egg".
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
A Show By Joe
View Profile
Elite user
Long Island
408 Posts

Profile of A Show By Joe
When doing this effect and on stage, I start with it. I come out telling people that I am going to give them a secret inside look at an effect (I look off stage to get approval with this to play it up). It is in my pocket for about 5 min.
Magic Rik
View Profile
Loyal user
Eastern Canada
296 Posts

Profile of Magic Rik
I have a set from Bob and it is great. I only have used the raw egg and, like Brody, "I put the egg in my pocket as I start the trick" as well.

But waiting back stage for the show to start I was thinking about a hard boiled egg - just a thought.

Thanks for all your help.

And - I can't quite get the action to smoothly break the egg into the glass - I always "spill" some innards or shell on the floor. Any advice there, other than practice by making my wife breakfast until I get it right?
Magic Rik

Life itself is magic - I just want to help a bit!

https://www.facebook.com/Magic.by.Rik
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Remember this trick has been discussed extensively on the Café. I have never had any egg fall to the floor. So you have a lot to work on. You may be just to rough on the poor egg. Are you using 2 hand to break the egg, it should be a dramatic one handed crack and opening from a foot above the glass.

Now for the secret, get a plastic wine or champagne glass, with a thin wall. Hold the egg between the 1st, 2nd, thumb and base of the fingers. Hit the edge straight down on the lip of the glass. You will see it will slice straight through the egg, This makes it perfect for a one handed opening of the shell halves. Only necessary to pull back with the fingers and thumb and the base of the 1st finger flange will force the egg to hinge on itself.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Again, Bill just gave you the "real work"! WINE OR CHAMPAGNE GLASS! (THIN WALLED) Always have a small damp towel (paper or cloth) available to wipe your fingers. --It's darn near impossible to keep from getting egg on your fingers.
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1367 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
If you work with an asistant, Duane Laflin has a great routine in his current lecture notes, which keeps the egg out of your pocket.
I believe you will find the routine in this set of lecture notes http://www.laflinmagicstore.com/ProductD......e=MBGMOY

Mark
Only he who can see the invisible can do the impossible. Frank L. Gaines
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Many professional magicians around the world use my Egg Dropper. It was developed for me and my act specifically to use with eggs. However, magicians use it for may other things too. (I even produce a can of V-8 from it.) Cups & Balls workers use it under their vest for loads they can get by just sliding their thumb down the OUTSIDE of the vest. Of course many use it to switch boxes of cards too.

Here are a few posts about it here on the Café.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/searc......=6416148
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=10
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=109
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&start=0

It is certainly my first choice.
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
RajeshLGov
View Profile
Regular user
India
149 Posts

Profile of RajeshLGov
Bill Hegbli is right. You can also deep freeze the egg, it'll remain hard through out the show. All the Best. Raj.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
For my Walk-Around Silk To Egg, the matching ungimmicked egg that I hand to the spectator has been put into the freezer before the show. City people think real eggs are cold!

Bob
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
I use bobs eggs and they are the best looking eggs I could find. I do edwin hoopers finale. instead of a real egg I have a different color silk in the egg.
so instead of breaking the egg I say:"never have people behind you or they will see the hole. in that case show the silk (silk of different color). I did this in my kids show and the kids really screamed HUH!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
That reminds me! Karrelll Fox'z book, "FOR MY NEXT TRICK" has his SUPER SIMPLE SILK TO EGG.

It can be done with a WHITE--OR--BROWN egg! --and that's the ONLY egg used!

It's "gutsy" but it does work! "Si quid est in te ingenii" (Latin for: "If you have any native talent") you can do it!
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Somewhere I read to put a piece of wire across the mouth of the glass. You can crack the egg on it, which puts the egg directly over the middle of the mouth of the glass. No spills.
Jonty
View Profile
Regular user
England, UK
167 Posts

Profile of Jonty
I take it from the above that none of you would use that nice cheap plastic egg (commonly found on eBay) that cracks open and drops a fake yolk out? Thought not... Smile
Jonty the Magician
Children's Entertainer in West Yorkshire

www.magicadabra.co.uk
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Back in '51 I bought a (NOT cheap) BRASS egg that did what the cheap plastic one you mention did. I only bought it because I was joining the Navy and would not be wearing a coat when performing. I can't remember from whom I bought it. It worked OK. But, as soon as I could wear civilian clothes, I went back to the classical way.
MagicalMotivator
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of MagicalMotivator
Real egg for the finale is (for me) the best way to go - when I do this I actually have none of the props on me - I tell the audience that I am going to teach them a trick and have to set it up so they have to all close their eyes while I do this - I actually take much longer to get everything positioned on me (especially the real egg) while I chat, scold and point out audience members who are not closing their eyes - for me it turns into a funny bit and more importantly my moves to position everything are too broad for anyone to discern what I am actually hiding and what is going where. Again for my personality this works quite well ( schools - general - corporate).

One final note there is a "way" a subtle "style" that we all use when we break a REAL egg and the goo comes out - I have found over the years that this is what really reads to the audience.

Just my opinion.

Rick
Rick Rossini The Magical Motivator
www.rossinimagic.com
www.magicalmotivator.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk to egg performance question (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL