The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » I/We want to learn the Gypsy Thread. (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Yes~~!
I saw Nate Staniforth's college concert show awhile back. (about 350 in the audience) He did an hour, and carried the props in his pockets. His CLOSER was the Gypsy Thread! He killed with it!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2014, Mary Mowder wrote:
I feel the same way but there are times, like doing strolling in a loud party, when it is very nice to have something totally visual. Gypsy Thread holds up on several levels.

-Mary Mowder
Yes, I agree Mary.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Ricky jay had a fabulous presentation with it. Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
marD
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of marD
Dan Harlan has a great presentation for it as well!
At Ease Tees - Christian apparel and other items!
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
So, Dave...is your head still spinning, or are you doing the Gypsy Thread? Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1830 Posts

Profile of wally
I have the thread and dvd, need some good patter.
Montana76
View Profile
Inner circle
I hope I one day reach
1177 Posts

Profile of Montana76
Quote:
On Mar 19, 2014, Chamberlain wrote:
Lonnie Chevries - Gypsy Floss! Buy his penguin lecture, its packed full of workable material.

Here's Joel Bauer performing a variation of it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwDyZylLqhk

I second this! Excellent lecture!
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3661 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I have one patter based on string theory, one based on a string of bad luck and silently.

You've bought some versions that you are allowed to use to start with.
It might not be a popular idea but I think it will save some uncomfortableness on the part of early audiences
(and you) to use someone else's general performance as a guide at first.

Do the effect for a while and get comfortable with the handling.
Then think of several things that make a whole in your own life.

If nothing comes to mind from your life just try for the category and
the practice may lead you back to something you would feel natural talking about.

3 Branches of Government
4 seasons
Departments in a company
Kingdoms of living things
members of a family
Teams in a league
Fruits in a salad
members of a band

Pick a couple of interesting directions and give writing a try.

You've heard enough versions so you have some idea of the structures patter lines are apt to take.
The plot can be as simple as the effect or you can "spin a yarn" so to speak.

Your first tries will probably be awkward but you have to work through it or it's going to be "other people's patter" for ever.

-Mary Mowder
CHRousseau
View Profile
Regular user
Registered Lurker from Lakewood WA
120 Posts

Profile of CHRousseau
RON SAYLOR of LA was performing at Wizard's Theater in Orlando, FL and I asked him to include his tribute version to Alain Choquette's poetic interpretation found at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq1VavZvfPs

of the Gypsy Thread for my parents' 60th wedding anniversary.

A consummate artist and gracious gentleman, he gave them front row seats to his performance and did the routine as if my folks were the only other ones in the room. My mother cried, my father misted up and when thread was finally restored everyone there that night had seen real magic. It was a moment I will never forget (my father passed away not long afterwards) and for which I will be forever grateful to Mr. Saylor for the memory and the lovely metaphor my mother still recalls fondly whenever magic is discussed to this day.
Arthur C Clarke was mistaken--Magic has always been the most advanced form of technology.
Craig Logan
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
541 Posts

Profile of Craig Logan
Quote:
On Apr 13, 2014, CHRousseau wrote:
RON SAYLOR of LA was performing at Wizard's Theater in Orlando, FL and I asked him to include his tribute version to Alain Choquette's poetic interpretation found at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq1VavZvfPs

of the Gypsy Thread for my parents' 60th wedding anniversary.

A consummate artist and gracious gentleman, he gave them front row seats to his performance and did the routine as if my folks were the only other ones in the room. My mother cried, my father misted up and when thread was finally restored everyone there that night had seen real magic. It was a moment I will never forget (my father passed away not long afterwards) and for which I will be forever grateful to Mr. Saylor for the memory and the lovely metaphor my mother still recalls fondly whenever magic is discussed to this day.

That was a beautiful rendition and a reminder that magic can and should make a lasting impact on an audience when done well. Thanks for sharing.
"A wizard is not to be made in a day." -Professor Hoffmann (Modern Magic)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » I/We want to learn the Gypsy Thread. (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL