The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Quick in & out handcuffs (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Walking Bob
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of Walking Bob
Advise needed on quick in & out handcuffs. What kind to purchase. The ones with metal hoop with chains and padlocks on the ends.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Post or PM

Thanks in advance and have a nice day,

Walking Bob in Iowa
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
942 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
Those aren't really handcuffs as such, but a quick release chain restraint. Another is the Siberian Chain Escape.
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1485 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Hi Bob, email me directly for information imccoll@sympac.com.au
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4426 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
It depends what you want them for really - as to what type to get. The chain restraints with the ovals ...... its been said before.....dont bother really.

if you want decent handcuffs that look like handcuffs (because they are) and not something made for a magician then .... go to Ian email above.
houdinisghost
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of houdinisghost
Given the understanding that it is an antique, nothing can beat the gaffed Bean Cobb.
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1485 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Of all the cuffs I have ever gimmicked, the Cobb is one of the better antique methods it also works on the Bean prison and giant cuff.
Mike Griffen had the best presentation of the Cobb cuff and in full view.
I also had the pleasure of opening one at John Gaughan fixed to this inside of a 1920's illusion cabinate.
Walking Bob
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of Walking Bob
Ian

Have emailed several times and have not received a response.

Any info would be greatly appreciated,

Walking Bob in Iowa
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1485 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Hi Bob, My sincere appology, I have only found out in the last days that no emails are getting thru via my regular (had for 16 years) email address. I even got disconnect by ISP as thiee invoice didn't make it and wasn't paid in time.

thanks for letting me know

please email me at ianmccoll61@hotmail.com

respectfully

Ian
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1485 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Hi Bob, glad we made contact and hope all the info is helpfull.

Ian
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
About 20 years ago, I picked up an antique German thumb cuff. I had seen Milbourne Christopher use on the TODAY (TV) ahow. He used the cuffs in a thumb tie presentation, not an in/out cuff escape.

They're shaped like two 'U's alongside each other, and are locked with a padlock. They're very convincing and easy to work. I don't know what their "official" name is. Anybody???
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1485 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Hi Dick, commonly known as a thumbscrew, I make them if you need another.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Thank you Ian! I only have two thumbs, so this one suffices (!)but I do appreciate the proper name for them.

I really don't qualify as an EA! --but I mentioned in a thread a day or so ago about the Australian Crib, that I substituted for another performer who had canceled his tour. I did about 6 weeks and everything worked out well.

I grew up about a hundred miles from Appleton,Wisconsin, where Houdini grew up. So I did a demonstration of some cuffs, etc. that he had escaped from. --Well, that WAS a slight exaggeration!

I had accumulated some gaffed cuffs, plus a few non gaffed, and an Abbott Jacket, and they made me look good!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1485 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Hi Dick, they are always good for xmas presents. Nearly everyone has thumbs and likely to be that special gift for the person you think has everything.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3211 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Another quick release chain restraint that is not something you can buy in magic stores and so is less known than the Big Link chain restraint or the Siberian Chain Escape is Qua-Fiki's "Chain Cuffs" from his e-Book "Escapes For Teens." You make it yourself from a metal or PVC pipe and some hardware store chains, and if you do, we ask that you do NOT use it for a comedy "In and Out" and that you NOT include it on a YouTube video when you perform it as a legitimate escape. This is something new and let's keep it out of the hands of the inept and off the radar as long as possible.
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1485 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Quote:
On Mar 17, 2014, jimgerrish wrote:
let's keep it out of the hands of the inept and off the radar as long as possible.

inept? PVC? what in the world is escape art going to?
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4426 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Funny thing is Ken just reported on a quick in and out .......but by a convict. Ken had been in a hospital clinic waiting for over an hour to be seen for an MRI (they think they may have identified where that key he had hidden ended up if you know what I mean Smile ). Then two "screws" (to use the vernacular) brought in a 'con' in Smith and Weston's ....he went straight in, was seen immediately and was out in less time than it takes to escape a pair of S&Ws.

So there you have a quick in and out but still in handcuffs. So no help there unless your trying to get seen in less than an hour on the NHS.

Still thank The Lord that you yanks don't have social medical care like we do! If Stephen Hawkin had been born in the UK he would have died by the time he was 20! ......

.........mmmmm that doesn't seem right some how!
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/08/12/......d_alive/

Still I would be worse off without the NHS.
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1485 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Dave, you are right about Hawkin , he's in his 70's now. and doesn't belive in life of any kind after death but still holds a positive view on life.
I read about a guy in the US that bashed someone, just because he needed his teeth fixed and because he couldn't afford it, knew that if arrested, he would automatic get a health check in prison.

dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4426 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
I was having a jibe at the UK NHS first..... The waiting times suck sometimes and yes funding is limited. ..... But still I would not be where I am without them just like Stephen Hawkin and I am NOT EXAHPGERATING without NHS treatment at Burton on Trent hospital in 1996 I would have died. From a major arterial bleed Really!

I wouldn't be any better off, in terms of my club feet, if I was in the USA unless that is my parents have lived in Iowa and gone to the quack (as he was considered at the time - I don't really believe he ever was) Dr Ponseti. Nor anywhere else really.

After having a dig at the UK NHS I just wanted a quick dig at .....not the USA or any particular political party but at the PAPER who made the claim about Hawkin being ignored as worthless because of his disability. But you have to admit ..... It was a really daft gaff to make (gaff as in clock up- not as in gaffed cuffs etc)! I love that kind of thing makes me laugh! And I dare anyone to admit they don't think it is funny.

A bit like the kid turning up to their lesson with homework undone ...... Or throwing together a project the night before it's due in..... Trying to get out of it and coming up with something obviously made up etc.
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1485 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Quote:
On Mar 9, 2014, Walking Bob wrote:
Advise needed on quick in & out handcuffs. What kind to purchase. The ones with metal hoop with chains and padlocks on the ends.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Post or PM

Walking Bob in Iowa

Glad that Roslyn and I could be of service to you. Hope your rountine is enhanced.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4426 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On Mar 17, 2014, Ian McColl wrote:
Dave, you are right about Hawkin , he's in his 70's now. and doesn't belive in life of any kind after death but still holds a positive view on life.
I read about a guy in the US that bashed someone, just because he needed his teeth fixed and because he couldn't afford it, knew that if arrested, he would automatic get a health check in prison.

Cliff, chill out, remember :"free speak and all that" Joe Burrus spouted off straight after his first buried alive escape but didn't appear to do his research on the box or the praise he gave.

I was just reading that he does now believe in life after death!

In recent times he has been proclaimed dead but is not dead anymore. He has "been victim of the celebrity fake death". It's a bit wired but someone started a rumour that he was dead, set up a face book page and got over a million hits. Shows what wool you can pull with face book eh!

The page I was just looking at had a quote from Stephen saying "stop believing everything you read on the Internet". Well allegedly from him if we are not to believe everything we read.

Why are people doing this? It's really strange to me.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Quick in & out handcuffs (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL