The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Popcorn salt (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
lemartini1050
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of lemartini1050
Is the popcorn salt that is flavoured and sold at most grocery stores the correct salt for
the lengthy salt pour

and do I have to have the lid on the salt shaker to get a slow pour

martini
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
940 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
Interesting question. Although I've never thought about it much, the length of the pour may have nothing to do with how fine the salt is. A little observation is that it takes 2 minutes for the sand--similar size and mass as salt--to pour through the hole in an egg timer. Maybe it's the size of the aperture? In the case of a salt shaker maybe it's the rate at which you pour?
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Lemartini, what are you talking about? The salt shaker has nothing to do with the Long Salt Pour from the fist.

I have tested sand, regular salt, and other products, the best to use is Pop Corn Salt. Non flavored. Why, because other materials either stick to your hand and is difficult to clean up, or is way to heavy for the trick.

I suggest you purchase Levent's Long Salt Pour. He sells a shaker, but it is not needed, as his concept is the same amount that is vanished is reproduced, that is different thinking then the Fred Kaps of vanishing a quantity of salt and an abundance of salt is produced which is more then was vanished.
Stucky
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Batman!
1355 Posts

Profile of Stucky
I would get unflavored as there might be some spices that will leave your hands smelling funky. You can also put the popcorn salt in a blender to make it even more fine.
Official Thread Killer
Nick W
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Nick W
The size of the grain does matter. the difference might end up being 10 seconds. but 10 seconds is a long time on stage. and yes, your fist control hugely matters.
lemartini1050
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of lemartini1050
Thanks,

i've heard that some magicians put regular salt in a blender - is this salt as good as the
non-flavoured salt that you buy?

And does adding the smaller gold dust add to the effect?

martini
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Why would you want to put salt in a blender, when for a couple dollars you can buy the correct salt and have enough for a half dozen shows.

If you want to stay after every show and pick up the glitter by hand, that is up to you. Me I am not a fool. Glitter gets all over everything and can be traced all over the place. Sweepers will not pick it up, so you will be on your hands and knees with a pick of scotch tape cleaning it up.

Plus, they most likely will never hire you again, and most like give you a bad reference.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Both of Bill's posts are accurate based upon similar "real world" experience.

Julie
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1623 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Lou Lancaster many years ago gave me some highway sign 'glass beads" that were used to mix in with white paint for highway sings.
The idea being that the glass beads made the paint more reflective when hit with bright lights at night.
He said it could be mixed in with popcorn salt to achieve the same effect...rather like Vernon supposedly did in his Salt Pour in the Harlequin act.
I never used it though...

Yes, aperture diameter will influence the length of how long a fixed amount will pour.
Those who remember an effect sold many years ago by Magic Inc. named 'X-Salted Shaker' will recall that the performer got a very long pour out of a shaker cap...because most of the holes (except the outer ring) had been blocked off. Consequently it still looked like a lot of salt was pouring for a long time...
It was very clever and a fun item to work.

Just buy a big cylinder of popcorn salt and avoid the small gourmet flavors in retail supermarkets.

Regards-
J.Neal
visit me @ JNealShow.com
lemartini1050
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of lemartini1050
Quote:
On Mar 10, 2014, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Why would you want to put salt in a blender, when for a couple dollars you can buy the correct salt and have enough for a half dozen shows.

If you want to stay after every show and pick up the glitter by hand, that is up to you. Me I am not a fool. Glitter gets all over everything and can be traced all over the place. Sweepers will not pick it up, so you will be on your hands and knees with a pick of scotch tape cleaning it up.

Plus, they most likely will never hire you again, and most like give you a bad reference.
what store sells the correct salt
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1623 Posts

Profile of JNeal
I'd just go on Amazon and buy it in the 24oz. containers.
Or you can find it locally under either baking supplies (restaurant suppliers) or popcorn wholesalers.
J.Neal
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Most grocery stores sell Popcorn Salt in small 3.75 ounce shaker containers. Usually 3 containers for a few dollars.

Morton Popcorn Salt it looks like this:
http://www.shopfoodex.com/morton-popcorn......od5xoAmQ

Go to your local most popular Grocery Store, I have no idea what is the popular stores in Canada, never been to Canada. We here in the U.S. have Kroger Stores, Safeway Stores, etc. If you don't know just ask your mother.

I have a bunch of Canadian pennies, nickles, and dimes you can have. Someone keeps dropping them here in this country, but the stores will not take your coins. LOL
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Movie theaters also carry popcorn salt in large containers. The next time you go to the movies, ask the management where they get their supply.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I use the popcorn salt. The blender idea was tipped to me by Karrell Fox to be used in an emergency.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
lemartini1050
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of lemartini1050
Thanksm this helps a lot

martini
Stucky
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Batman!
1355 Posts

Profile of Stucky
You can make popcarn salt finer by putting it in a blender (tho it's really not necessary) and yes many performers mix silver glitter in the salt to catch the light so it's a little more visible from stage. You don't need a lot. too much can actually discolor the salt. If you are worried about clean up you can lay down a black sheet before hand or get one of those pop up travel bins and let the salt pour into that. (or in my case a container that is part of the rotuine)
Official Thread Killer
Scott Alexander
View Profile
V.I.P.
1471 Posts

Profile of Scott Alexander
Popcorn salt is the answer for me. I also add just a touch of powdered glitter. Not regular glitter that you glued to a card for your mom with macaroni noodles, but fancy microfine glitter. This bag o salt should lasts me for over a dozen shows depending on spillage. If you are going to do the trick on a stage with other acts just make sure you lay out a black bed sheet, tarp or similar cloth to for easy striking.

The Salt
http://www.barryfarm.com/salts.htm

The Glitter
http://sparklensprinkle.com/o/index.php?cPath=23_224
-Scott

Visit my PRO MAGIC SHOP

www.scottalexander.bigcartel.com

Website

www.scottalexandermagic.com
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Along with a great salt thread, there is great (workers) experience about not leaving messes for your consumers/clients to take care of.

I love the pour and the snow storm, and have seen a lot of great magicians leave messes for others to clean up.

Be safe, well, creative AND (emphasis not yelling) considerate.

Harris
remembering it is Show AND Business.
still 2 old to know it all Smile Smile
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of Leo H
A great post by Scott Alexander. He shows us where to locate the popcorn salt and the glitter. It doesn't get any better. Thank you Scott!
Scott Alexander
View Profile
V.I.P.
1471 Posts

Profile of Scott Alexander
You bet!
Happy pouring!!!
-Scott

Visit my PRO MAGIC SHOP

www.scottalexander.bigcartel.com

Website

www.scottalexandermagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Popcorn salt (4 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL