The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Impromptu trick involving Gilbreath principle? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

merlin2812
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of merlin2812
Hello everyone!

I really like the Gilbreath principle, but I never use it since I don't know any impromptu trick using it... Could anyone help me?
I'm looking for a trick using a deck that can be shuffled by the spectator. I don't mind a quick arrangement before I start as long as I can do it in front of the spectator.
If you have a trick in mind, please give the reference so I'll check it out!

best,

merlin
magicthree
View Profile
Special user
534 Posts

Profile of magicthree
One of my favorites is Gilbreath Aces out of the card magic of Nick Trost, page 225. Hardly any setup and a very strong trick.
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2533 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
Learn Darwin Ortiz's Si Stebbins Secret. Then, you can do a routine where you:

1. Open a brand new deck, and shuffle it thoroughly. (The deck is now in Si Stebbins order. Thanks, Darwin!)
2. Open by performing a series of quick card revelations, ala Gene Anderson. All through the routine, you do false mixes.
3. Perform Nick Trost's spelling routine. And more false shuffles.
4. Heck, throw in Michael Close's Guatemalan Miracle, if you'd like. By now, the spectators think the cards are mixed.
5. Then, perform Martyn Smith's Up the Ante. The spectator will get to cut and shuffle. And the audience will be blown away.
6. Afterword, you can give away the deck. No one will have a clue as to how everything was done.

DIfficult? Yes. Rewarding? Extremely!
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
merlin2812
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of merlin2812
Thanks for the answer!
I have the card magic of Nick Trost, I'll check it out tonight!!!!
I didn't know the Si Stebbins Secret, I guess I'll have to check it also!
Thanks again!

best,

merlin
merlin2812
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of merlin2812
Concerning gilbreath aces, it uses duplicates cards, so unfortunately not impromptu...
captainsmiffy
View Profile
Special user
UK, resident UAE
588 Posts

Profile of captainsmiffy
Thanks for the plug, Barry! Yes, the Guatamalan Miracle dovetails very nicely into Up The Ante. Must fess up, though, to not knowing Darwin Ortizs Stebbins secret.....anyone point me to the publication where I might peruse it please?

Cheers,

Martyn
Have you tried 'Up The Ante' yet?? The ultimate gambling demo....a self-working wonder! See the reviews here on the cafe.
sjrw
View Profile
Special user
564 Posts

Profile of sjrw
See Darwin Ortiz - At The Card Table
It is also on one of his DVDs, I presume its one from the At The Card Table series.

FYI - I love Up The Ante, don't know the Guatemalan Miracle, but I will surely be checking it out!
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On Mar 12, 2014, captainsmiffy wrote:
Thanks for the plug, Barry! Yes, the Guatamalan Miracle dovetails very nicely into Up The Ante. Must fess up, though, to not knowing Darwin Ortizs Stebbins secret.....anyone point me to the publication where I might peruse it please?

Cheers,

Martyn

Hi Martyn,

Hope the skies are friendly to you always. As for the Si Stebbins Secret, you have to be proficient in perfect faros. It's one of the reasons I am trying to get the faro down perfectly; it (the faro is still eluding me) but, ever onward!

Slainte,
Vlad
captainsmiffy
View Profile
Special user
UK, resident UAE
588 Posts

Profile of captainsmiffy
Hi Vlad, good to hear from you. The skies indeed have been friendly to me ........though not for two of my brethren in the recent past over Malaysia, poor souls. A very strange affair.

Think that I may be in the same boat as yourself....Faro is ok but not 100% surefire as of yet! ***it!!!! I keep working at it and am generally good for two thirds of the deck.....but there is always one card....!!!! Still, am nothing if not stubborn am will keep plugging away! are you still in Rotterdam? Was over in Amsterdam, albeit briefly, the other week.

I must, must get this At the Card Table as I keep hearing such good things of it. Many thanks for your endorsement of UTA, Sjrw! You should like the GM alongside of it and it helps hide some of the workings of UTA if you know what I mean....(nods as good as a wink to a blind bat....as they say where I come from!!)
Have you tried 'Up The Ante' yet?? The ultimate gambling demo....a self-working wonder! See the reviews here on the cafe.
sjrw
View Profile
Special user
564 Posts

Profile of sjrw
I guess I'll be buying the GM soon then!

If your faro isn't 100% surefire then you should check out Woody Aragon's Sly Stebbins.
The Si Stebbins Secret is a method for shuffling the deck into Si Stebbins from new deck order, but Sly Stebbins (I think I have the name correct - I can check later) is a method for setting the deck in Si Stebbins which does not require any faro shuffles and is actually part of a routine.

It is taught on his DVD set, I don't remember if it is in his book and I am pretty certain it is in one of the Semi Automatic Card Trick volumes.
captainsmiffy
View Profile
Special user
UK, resident UAE
588 Posts

Profile of captainsmiffy
How embarrassing......the mods have replaced a minor (not rude) profanity with some 'x' s.......now it looks like I said something really naughty! That relly wasnt the case....thanks!
captainsmiffy
View Profile
Special user
UK, resident UAE
588 Posts

Profile of captainsmiffy
One is reminded of the game that cabin crew play with pilots.....where they challenge us to slip naughty words in to our PAs....you'd be surprised what has been slipped in to win a beer or two!
magicphill
View Profile
Veteran user
359 Posts

Profile of magicphill
Two effects spring to mind

In Steve Beam's Semi Automatic Card tricks Volume 3 there is an effect using the Gilbreath principle called "Done Deal" which can be done from a sealed deck.

In Roy Walton's Complete Walton Volume 2 there is a perhaps overlooked effect called "A Straight Shuffle" where the spectator finds a good poker hand after freely shuffling and choosing a point in the deck. Bill Goodwin mentioned it was one of his buried treasure effects in the Speaking Volumes section of Genii mag.
magicphill
View Profile
Veteran user
359 Posts

Profile of magicphill
Forgot to mention that the Roy Walton effect will involve a set up but only 9 cards and it's an easy sequence to remember
merlin2812
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of merlin2812
Hello all,

thanks for the answers!
I have found a nice trick involving the Gilbreath principle, and pretty much impromptu. It is the "omega bet" from Geoff Williams (or at least described in some of his material); you need someting like 20 cards that you can set up easily front of your audiance and you are set up!
Give it a try, it's a great trick!

best,

merlin
Tree
View Profile
Loyal user
Wiggle Wiggle
295 Posts

Profile of Tree
Sal Piacente's Expert Card Magic - The very first effect "Sal's Memory Opener" uses the Gilbreath principle
j100taylor
View Profile
Inner circle
1161 Posts

Profile of j100taylor
Aunt Mary's Terrible Secret
Lakewood, Ohio
darho
View Profile
New user
Göttingen, Germany
75 Posts

Profile of darho
In Roberto Giobbi's Light series are a few tricks which use the Gilbreath principle.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Impromptu trick involving Gilbreath principle? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL