The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Comedy escape act (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dfrasure12
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of dfrasure12
Does anyone out there perform a comedy escape act with just a pair of escape cuffs/shackles. If so, what kind of lines do you like to use? Any input in greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
David
Cashetta
View Profile
Regular user
Rehoboth Beach, DE
128 Posts

Profile of Cashetta
I have performed a comedy escape bit using shackles, a bag, 2 spectators and an asistant. Basically, as soon as my hands go into the bag the spectators are holding, one hand comes out, goes back in, come out again with both hands shackled, assistant tries to help, we end up cuffed together, etc. End up shackling spectators together. There's a lot more to it but you get the general idea.
Illusions4Life
View Profile
Regular user
Indiana
128 Posts

Profile of Illusions4Life
I do a routine with thumbcuffs. I get a volunteer from the audience and ask if they like contests, have them lock me in the thumbcuffs with much by-play about the pain they are causing me.

Once locked the the cuffs I explain the rules of the contest including me hiding my hands behind the table and attempting to free myself before they blow up the balloon that I have given them. Oh course the volunteer looks at me like I have gone mad. I have given him no balloon. With that I remove my right hand and reach into my pocket and pull out a nice round balloon.

Sometimes the volunteer does not even catch on to what is going on, while the audience erupts in laughter. I bring my hands up and explain the rules once again with my thumbs tightly cuffed. I have the volunteer take a deep breath and prepare to blow up the balloon, hiding my hands I tell him to blow hard. I have secretly cut the end of the balloon out which causes a huge raspberry sound to emit from the end of the balloon when he/she blows. Once again getting a great audience reaction.

With that I apologize and using my left hand reaching into my left pocket pull out a long thin balloon animal balloon (you all know how hard that is to blow up). As they stuggle to get the balloon blown up I quickly escape the cuffs and win the contest.

As a consolation prize I proceed to make the volunteer a balloon animal, which after much by-play turns out to be nothing but the balloon which I call a snake.

Jim Smile
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Illusions4Life...

Just reading your act made me laugh! Thanks for the entertainment.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2133 Posts

Profile of jlevey
I use thumb-cuffs and don't say a word...it's the highlight of my silent-comedy show. It works!
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
Dan Monroe
View Profile
Loyal user
Indiana
209 Posts

Profile of Dan Monroe
Jim,
That sounds like a great routine. I wish I would of thought of it! Smile
The power is within us all...I'm just a little more full of it.
danmonroe.bravehost.com
Illusions4Life
View Profile
Regular user
Indiana
128 Posts

Astinus and Dan thanks for the nice comments. I make my entire show funny (or what I call funny). It is good to hear that other magicians find it funny too. I guess I will just keep doing the same thing.

Jim
Snidini
View Profile
Special user
786 Posts

Profile of Snidini
Jim that is great and sounds fun. I am sure this gets great laughs from all ages. I have never thought of doing one with thumbcuffs and baloons but now you having the creative juices working. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Snidini
dfrasure12
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of dfrasure12
Illusions4Life,

Just a suggestion, but perhaps it would be a little funnier if when you give the person the balloon at the end, instead of just giving them a snake (i.e. an uninflated balloon), tie a knot in the middle of the uninflated balloon, and give them a "pregnant worm." I saw Kevin King do this once and it got a pretty good laugh. Just a suggestion...

Sincerely,
David
Illusions4Life
View Profile
Regular user
Indiana
128 Posts

David-
Thanks for the suggestion I will try that in my next show. I get so much mileage out of the snake deal. I will sometimes tape a penny to the balloon and call it a copperhead or tie a baby rattle to one end and call it a rattler. Much stuff that I do but I do like that suggestion and will use it in my next show.

Thank you
Jim
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
Comedy escape act...I've got one using handcuffs. I start off exagerating my southern accent and announcing "I need a man! I need a man right now!" Of course, I rarely have trouble getting a spectator. When I get my volunteer, I pull out a pair of handcuffs and ask a few questions about whether or not he has seen this item before....then, I pull out a pair of furry handcuffs and ask him if he recognizes them in this form. I have him them examine the cuffs, and I then say, "now comes the good part!" as I place them on him...showing that they are not gimmicked. I then unlock them and as I take the cuffs back, I hand him the key and tell him to put it in a place where he would definitely know if I tried to get it. I then take a second key, explaining that handcuffs always come with two keys, thread it around a ribbon, which I then place around my neck. The key hangs at a very obvious spot, and I tell the audience to "watch the key...keep an eye on the key!" I then hand the cuffs to the volunteer and say, "Now comes the better part!" as I ask him to cuff me behind the back. We then have some friendly banter back and forth as I get out of the cuffs, and then back in, a couple of times each time him verifying that the cuffs are secured and I haven't tried to get the key off him. My ending line changes, but I usually make some sort of reference to having two strikes against me...blonde and from the South...and I just can't figure out how to work these handcuffs. If the spectator has been a very good sport, I'll usually kiss him on the cheek before he returns to his seat and returns my key!

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Comedy escape act (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL