The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » My new logo. (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
hackmonkey
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1093 Posts

Profile of hackmonkey
What do you guys think of it?

Edit: I added it as an attachment, but it didn't show up.. I'll try to embed it.

Look behind you...on your left...thats the real world.

http://www.instagram.com/JoePiperMagic
hackmonkey
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1093 Posts

Profile of hackmonkey
This is not the final version, what if any changes do you think I should make?

Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
I don't really get what I'm looking at.
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
airztonne
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of airztonne
I see the initials JP.
At first I thought the symbol inside the P was a globe meaning that you were an international performer... but it looks like an ESP sign? and coupled with the spiral-ish background makes me think that you may be a mentalist or something of that type.

I would suggest to lose the spiral thing behind and just keep the JP, maybe make the line thinker or something to make it more obvious?
magicwatcher2005
View Profile
Elite user
Washington state
446 Posts

Profile of magicwatcher2005
In a word, it's grim. There's a lot of talented, artistic people out there. You're apparently not one of them, but you can easily find one and pay them a very small amount of money to make you a clever, artistic logo instead. I would recommend you do that.
hackmonkey
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1093 Posts

Profile of hackmonkey
Thanks guys.

Christofer, that was kind of the idea. An optical illusion type thing, that you had to look at longer to see it.

Airztonne sees it, yes JP for Joe Piper and the pentagram for both magic and yes sometimes mindreading, As well as the hypo-spiral. Which has been used in some of my stage/cabaret stuff. I do perform internationally as well. I have performed in England, Germany, Spain, Turkey, South America and Australia. It could work without the spiral.

magicwatcher2005 get a life mate. I didn't design this. A friend who mainly designs hip-hop album covers did. She is very talented and works for some very big names both on London and America.

I love this place, you ask for a simple opinion and often get snide personal insults very quickly. It often tells a lot about the person who posted it.

magicwatcher2005
View Profile
Elite user
Washington state
446 Posts

Quote:
On Mar 24, 2014, hackmonkey wrote:

magicwatcher2005 get a life mate. I didn't design this. A friend who mainly designs hip-hop album covers did. She is very talented and works for some very big names both on London and America.

I love this place, you ask for a simple opinion and often get snide personal insults very quickly. It often tells a lot about the person who posted it.

I love this place too. Someone asks for an opinion on something and immediately takes great offense at honest criticism. The logo reeks of amateurism; it's visually confusing at a glance and looks like something a 12 year-old would think was cool because he doesn't understand interplay between figure and ground, and has no concept of how to use negative space to draw in the viewer's eye AND the viewer's imagination. Have your friend Google the phrase "less is more".

In case you hadn't noticed, not a single response was particularly positive about what you posted. Obviously you have paper-thin skin, but life's too short to sugar coat every opinion in fear of offending someone who can't handle honesty.

(PS: Your "get a life" is far more snide and insulting than my "you're apparently not artistic"... mate)
PCoreyB
View Profile
Regular user
139 Posts

Profile of PCoreyB
You DID ask for opinions. My first thought was amateurish as well however you said it wasn't finished so I guess I'd like to see where it's going from here...definitely needs work from here.

You asked for suggestions...I would say, work on the J/P symbol and drop the spiral behind it. The big blue stroke around the J/P seems a bit much to me. Maybe make it a bit thinner and sleeker.
PCoreyB
View Profile
Regular user
139 Posts

Profile of PCoreyB
Just went back and read through the comments...didn't mean to but I guess I copied some of what airztonne said.
hackmonkey
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1093 Posts

Profile of hackmonkey
Yes I asked for opinions not snide uninformed personal attacks….

Just for reference here is a finished photo the same girl did for me.

MickNZ
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
578 Posts

Profile of MickNZ
Are you a DJ standing in a dark club in front of your two turntables?

Sorry Smile
magicwatcher2005
View Profile
Elite user
Washington state
446 Posts

Quote:
On Mar 25, 2014, hackmonkey wrote:
Yes I asked for opinions not snide uninformed personal attacks….

Would never guess the seemingly tough guy in that heavily doctored photo would actually be a thin-skinned wimp who can't handle a little honest criticism - might just be your best illusion of all.

You asked for opinions, but obviously you're only emotionally capable of handling glowing praise. I suggest you use exactly what you've got and enjoy the rest of your life - just don't waste other people's time asking for their opinions when you've already set your mind. Mate.

hackmonkey
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1093 Posts

Profile of hackmonkey
All constructive critism is welcome...
I respond accordingly, like I said to Artizone 'yes it could work without the spiral'.

MickNZ Ha Ha. Amazingly the photo was taken outside in bright sunshine at 40C' . Amazing what photoshop can do!

I am not 100% happy with it and mentioned I wanted to maybe change it. But couldn't put my finger on what Needed changing.

Yeah I'm heaps tuff looking holding my umbrella…
Here is me looking tuff after a halloween gig.

magicwatcher2005
View Profile
Elite user
Washington state
446 Posts

Quote:
On Mar 26, 2014, hackmonkey wrote:
[...]…
Here is me looking tuff after a halloween gig.

Ah yes... Halloween. I've been told that's a very popular time for you guys.

HeyWilbur
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of HeyWilbur
Quote:
On Mar 23, 2014, magicwatcher2005 wrote:
You're apparently not one of them,

Magicwatcher - I'm new on the forum... very new... but I think these six words are what were perceived as a bit hostile. I think your point could have been made much more politely if they were excluded from your comment. Less is more.
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
West of Boston, East of Eden
895 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
I don't like to get into these talk sessions, but I think HeyWilbur is right. Magicwatcher2005, I've been reading your comments for about a year now, and whenever I do, I'm usually impressed by the accuracy of your judgment but very disappointed by the harshness of your tone. I hope we're all here to encourage each other with honest critique framed positively.
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
West of Boston, East of Eden
895 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
Hackmonkey - I like the general idea of your logo, but I wonder if it's a bit too busy for the purpose. As I understand logos, they want to convey a quick, clean message without asking too much of the viewer. I wonder how it would look to remove the spiral and use the pentagram as the background instead. The JP would read cleaner and you'd still have a magical feel to the design.
hackmonkey
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1093 Posts

Profile of hackmonkey
Thanks guys I will some of the comments to the designer.

JollyGreenGiant
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of JollyGreenGiant
I'm digging the color scheme (and actually like the spiral). I think I would just make the pentagram a little cleaner.
hackmonkey
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1093 Posts

Profile of hackmonkey
Here is the new updated logo. Opinions guys?

Click here to view attached image.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » My new logo. (5 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL