The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Shin Lim on Murphy's Tuesday night hangout TONIGHT (March 11th, 2014) 5pm pacific (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
Can you believe I've been wrong on
1318 Posts

Profile of barts185
From the Murphys FB page:

Tonight at 5pm PT Shin Lim will be joining us for our Tuesday Night hangout! This is your chance to ask Shin any question!

Get the link 15mins before the event at

http://www.murphysmagic.com/hangout

Seems like some people here have some questions for him, this could be your chance!

I have not participated in a Murphy's hangout, but I'm presuming it is moderated, and the questions that get answered will be the selected few ones that aren't along the lines of:

"How can you keep stealing things and getting away with it?"

"How is it that you have money to make very deceptive trailers but no money to make even a mediocre quality explanation DVD?"

"Why don't you finish doing your research and testing BEFORE releasing a product, instead of presuming that people who buy it don't mind being guinea pigs and completing the work you should have done before releasing something?"

but maybe if a lot of people just keep asking the same question, they'll at least acknowledge it.
rasp
View Profile
Inner circle
1023 Posts

Profile of rasp
Hope Alan Rorrison tunes in for this........ he has stolen a fare few of Alan's ideas and in my opinion owes him an explanation!!
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10533 Posts

Profile of saysold1
I was reading the initial post and was drinking some of my protein drink ... And almostt spit it all out in laughter!!!

Omg is that funny stuff.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme- "One of the most versatile and well made utility devices I have ever used. Highly recommended." Bob Cassidy www.SvenPads.com
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Brŕth
3642 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
Quote:
On Mar 11, 2014, rasp wrote:
Hope Alan Rorrison tunes in for this........ he has stolen a fare few of Alan's ideas and in my opinion owes him an explanation!!

Are you sure? I've only ever seen Alan post video rants AFTER Shin Lim has released material. I would like to see evidence presented from Alan that proves his ideas existed BEFORE Shin Lim's releases please.
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
Jack Straw
View Profile
Special user
Wichita
869 Posts

Profile of Jack Straw
Hey, Bart- you really put that better than anyone else here could have.

Please accept my pat on the back.
Jack Straw from Wichita, cut his buddy down
And dug for him a shallow grave, and laid his body down
Half a mile from Tucson, by the morning light
One man gone and another to go, my old buddy you're moving much too slow
We can share the women, we can share the wine
WillJonesMagic
View Profile
New user
Birmingham, UK
39 Posts

Profile of WillJonesMagic
Well the questions were pitched (a few times and then some) but not asked or answered unfortunately.
Alan Rorrison
View Profile
V.I.P.
2477 Posts

Profile of Alan Rorrison
Just a heads up Poor Kyle was trapped in the middle of that. Shin should have manned up and answered the question himself... Kyle is a good lad who I love and have a lot of respect for.
KyleMarlett
View Profile
Special user
585 Posts

Profile of KyleMarlett
Hey guys,

I appreciate all the comments at the hangout. The reason Alan's question wasn't asked was because that was not the place for it. Murphy's Tuesday Night Hangout have a goal, and that goal is to be a place fans can come and hangout out with top magicians and ask questions and learn magic. We don't want it to become a reality TV show with drama and fighting.

We've had over 20 Hangouts with some of the top magicians from around the world and it's been a incredible opportunity for people to come together for the love of magic. As a full time magic consultant I know exactly where Alan was coming from and the exact thing has happened to me but that was not the place for that questions. I hope you understand.

-Kyle
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
1318 Posts

Profile of barts185
Quote:
On Mar 11, 2014, KyleMarlett wrote:
Hey guys,

I appreciate all the comments at the hangout. The reason Alan's question wasn't asked was because that was not the place for it. Murphy's Tuesday Night Hangout have a goal, and that goal is to be a place fans can come and hangout out with top magicians and ask questions and learn magic. We don't want it to become a reality TV show with drama and fighting.

We've had over 20 Hangouts with some of the top magicians from around the world and it's been a incredible opportunity for people to come together for the love of magic. As a full time magic consultant I know exactly where Alan was coming from and the exact thing has happened to me but that was not the place for that questions. I hope you understand.

-Kyle

Kyle,

Then, as a suggestion, when you (Murphy's) have someone on the hangout and there is some obvious issues surrounding them, possibly the post announcing their hangout should not say:

This is your chance to ask Shin any question!

While somewhat tongue-in-cheek, I actually think the questions I posted to start this thread would have been great questions, and possibly even offer Shin a chance to explain himself. Obviously, you could have given him a heads-up ahead of time for him to prepare a response. It's not like there would be someone grilling him with follow-up questions trying to get him to admit what he has done. Even if the question about theft was left out, Shin has some highly questionable things that have been done that possibly would not be as controversial as the question of theft.

And, on a very serious note, if a supplier like Murphy's is not going to hold creators accountable even a little bit, and instead just care about getting the next product out the door and collecting their money, that's pretty sad.
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1734 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
You guys really think Kyle is going to ask him controversial questions? Come on, clearly not the appropriate forum for accusations.
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - - -
You Know | CAANWICH | Fourtunate | Destined | Wrong Turn | Fortuity | Arbitrium | Sovereign Sandwich | RudiMental

More Info: www.davidjonathanmagic.com
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10533 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Look - this is designed as a platform to see stuff.

Bottom line. End of story.

It's not anything more or less than that.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme- "One of the most versatile and well made utility devices I have ever used. Highly recommended." Bob Cassidy www.SvenPads.com
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10533 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Sorry - sell stuff.
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
1318 Posts

Profile of barts185
Quote:
On Mar 11, 2014, saysold1 wrote:
Sorry - sell stuff.

But wouldn't it be nice if it could grow into something more and actually have meaningful exchanges between users and creators?

I know - I'm a dreamer. But hopefully, I'm not the only one.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10533 Posts

Profile of saysold1
It's Murphys for gosh sakes.

And Murphys has released every one of Shin's effects.

You may be a dreamer but its like Facebook or Google - are they there to help all of use share our photos, experiences and just make friends?

Or put us all under a microscope to sell us stuff?

The best thing is probably for performers to approach Shin at conventions and other venues and speak their mind.
MovieMan
View Profile
Special user
569 Posts

Profile of MovieMan
It's unrealistic to expect these hangout sessions to question the performers on these kind of issues. This is not 60 Minutes, nor should anyone expect it to be anything like that.

Kyle and the team putting these out do a good job. I'm not particularly a Shin Lim fan, but I'm glad the whole controversy thing was left out. It doesn't belong in this kind of show.
Stucky
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Batman!
1345 Posts

Profile of Stucky
However he (or anyone who is under scrutiny) should grow a pair and at least address it. Even if it's just "Hey I know a lot of you have a specific question but I don't want to talk about that right now. This is not the timke nor place" Pretending it doesn't exist doesn't make it go away.

I think Murphy's could curry a lot of fans and favor by just dropping his stuff and not backing more products of his. I think anyone in this position is just laughing to the bank because no repercussions are being doled out. If just ONE person was made an example of it might keep some of you other unscrupulous lot in check.
Official Thread Killer
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Brŕth
3642 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
Kyle has really gone down in my estimations.

Very disappointed that he chose to take the easy path. I can see others think the same.

I for one will not be watching his review show from now on, after all there's no value to be gained from someone who has a clear agenda that is not directed at helping the community.

Saysold1 summed it up. Kyle is a salesman.
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
CarlMcCoy
View Profile
Elite user
464 Posts

Profile of CarlMcCoy
So much talk of theft. No word on proof. Proper proof, not videos on youtube or on TV (which unless everyone has all the facts, are not proof at all). It seems amazing to me that if Shin Lim was constantly ripping off tricks used by the Dynamo team, that said tema have not got their lawyers on to him. Alan is more in the know here so possibly he can drop in, but...if Dymano does 'x' effect on national tv, then it's a safe bet he (or the production company) have paid for the exclusive rights to that effect. It then follows, that if I watched it, copied it and then came on the biggest magic forum and marketplace (oooh...Murphy's only want to sell us magic...) in the world and attempted to sell it, that those lawyers would be all over me in a flash.

So...why haven't they? Why hasn't the 'blatant' and 'without doubt' theft of another performers work gone unpunished? Because he never answers the phone or replies to emails? Really?

C'mon everyone....
Alan Rorrison
View Profile
V.I.P.
2477 Posts

Profile of Alan Rorrison
All the correct information and proof has been sent to the correct channels. It is just unfortunatent that there really isn't a lot we can do but be vocal about it. Kyle was trapped in a hard place and I do apologise for that.

There really is not a lot we can do and I think people know that . There is no fear of consistence.
VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1875 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
There are tactful ways these issues could have been brought up
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Shin Lim on Murphy's Tuesday night hangout TONIGHT (March 11th, 2014) 5pm pacific (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL