We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Our treatment of animals (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
We own a dog, two cats, and two horses. A couple of weeks ago I took the dog into the vet to have his teeth cleaned. When I fetched him, the gentleman who'd cleaned his teeth remarked that it was obvious that we took very good care of him. We've received similar comments about our care of the cats, and our care of the horses. Except for the times when he deliberately antagonize the cats (always under circumstances when they fully deserve to be antagonized), we do, generally, take very good care of our pets. Indeed, we adore our pets. (Note: horses aren't supposed to be considered pets - they're livestock - but we're probably a bit too soft with them, on the whole.) That said, I cannot understand people who treat their pets shabbily. Last night there was a story on the local news about a dog-fighting ring: the dogs were treated deplorably. Such an attitude is beyond my ability to comprehend.
Dr. Delusion
View Profile
Special user
Eugene, Oregon.
728 Posts

Profile of Dr. Delusion
I agree 100%. I can't stand to see anyone abuse or neglect an animal. Personally I think Michael Vick should have been banned from football. I know out last dog we had about 8 years. I think I spent close to %6000.00 trying to save him from cancer. We lost the battle and I cried like a baby when we had him put to sleep.
Bob.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
In our house we go beyond the pets. My SO is an animal LOVER: did animal rescues, had 6 cats when I met her and is absolutely an animal fanatic. Unfortunately, I'm allergic to most animals so she had to find homes with family members for the cats. But she was depressed not having any animals to care for (other than this one) so she has adopted all the wildlife around my house. Birds, squirrels, deer, racoons, possums, skunks, and all other roaming creatures eat well on our property. No food in my house is ever thrown out. It is kept for the animals.
Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Profile of Daryl -the other brother
Right with you on that one Bill. I can't even watch those animal abuse commercials.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2771 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Mar 12, 2014, S2000magician wrote:
We own a dog, two cats, and two horses.

A couple of weeks ago I took the dog into the vet to have his teeth cleaned. When I fetched him, the gentleman who'd cleaned his teeth remarked that it was obvious that we took very good care of him. We've received similar comments about our care of the cats, and our care of the horses. Except for the times when he deliberately antagonize the cats (always under circumstances when they fully deserve to be antagonized), we do, generally, take very good care of our pets. Indeed, we adore our pets. (Note: horses aren't supposed to be considered pets - they're livestock - but we're probably a bit too soft with them, on the whole.)

That said, I cannot understand people who treat their pets shabbily. Last night there was a story on the local news about a dog-fighting ring: the dogs were treated deplorably. Such an attitude is beyond my ability to comprehend.

I don't approve of animal fighting rings, but if you're GOING to pit your animals against each other in the ring, shouldn't you, by rights, treat that animal, that source of your bread and butter, fairly well?
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6785 Posts

Profile of magicfish
And yet as a society, we've shown that we overwhelmingly ssupport watching two humans in a cage engaged in bloody combat, where for the most part, an unconscious man receives crushing blows to the head to the cheers of millions.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1197 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Mar 13, 2014, magicfish wrote:
And yet as a society, we've shown that we overwhelmingly ssupport watching two humans in a cage engaged in bloody combat, where for the most part, an unconscious man receives crushing blows to the head to the cheers of millions.

The password is: informed consent.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6785 Posts

Profile of magicfish
So you agree.
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1225 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
I have no problem with two consenting individuals fighting it out.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2824 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
I just wish my wife treated me as good as she treats our little dog. Smile

No, I too can't stand to see anyone abuse or neglect an animal, any animal.

Tom
Kind People Are The Best Kind Of People

www.tomboleware.com
Mr. Danny
View Profile
Loyal user
North Central Louisiana
249 Posts

Profile of Mr. Danny
Heck, I even feed strays.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3622 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
"Note: horses aren't supposed to be considered pets - they're livestock"

WHAT??? Say it ain't so! Pretty sure you were talking technical, but our horses are just really, really big pets...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6785 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Do pitbulls want to fight each other?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20661 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I absolutely love the way a feel good thread can be turned on its ear to further one persons agenda. Thanks magicfish.

That aside we treat our dogs very well. We live in a part of the country that for whatever reason it is not the norm. Not by a longshot.

Suffice as to say I think you vet a pet it is a moral obligation. Only an opinion. Not wanting to hijack the thread.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6785 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Wrong again, Danny, I love boxing and I love MMA. Who's got the agenda? Keep chasing, bud.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6785 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Sorry, S2000, Doyle's been doing that to me for ten years. Back to the topic.
Human fighters want to fight each other, they enjoy it, and so do the fans.
In your opinion, Do you think Pitbulls enjoy fighting each other? Does it matter?
Do they crave it? Are they unhappy if they aren't allowed to fight?
Is it irrelevant because it was our cruel breeding that led to their "desire"?
Just looking for some interesting discussion here contrary to what Danny thinks. But if you agree with him that I've derailed it, I apologize to you.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6785 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Just for some background, I am a dog and cat lover. I am an aquarist and try to provide the best most natural environment I can for my fish. Im a bird watcher and a member of the Toronto Entymological society. If my wife sees a bug in the house I capture it and release it outdoors.
I am a bird of prey enthusiast.
I donate to habitat preservation projects.
I volunteer with Ontario Streams. An organization that goes out and cleans trash from the banks of rivers and streams.
I strongly oppose cock fighting, dog fighting, puppy mills etc.

Having said all this, I do have some concerns.
We had a case here a few years back where an OSPCA official handcuffed a man to his own car because he left his dog in the car on a hot day. The official took the dog to get medical attention. The Owner was robbed and beaten to within an inch of his life while cuffed to his car.
the result? The official was applauded and the owner was treated as though he deserved what he got.
This type of thing concerns me.
People seem to care about the animsl but not the human. I think we should care about both.
So I come full circle. We revile two dogs fighting and we relish two humans fighting.
It's interesting. (Even without the consent thing).
Just some food for thought. Anyway. Im not interested in anger or hostility, just stimulating viewpoints.
Cheers guys.
Natural Mystic
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta, GA
502 Posts

Profile of Natural Mystic
Should meat eaters be concerned about animal welfare? I haven't seen any animal willingly go into the slaughter house.

Just sayin'
"You never change the existing reality by
fighting it. Instead, create a new model that
makes the old one obsolete."
-- R. Buckminster Fuller
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6785 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Mar 17, 2014, Natural Mystic wrote:
Should meat eaters be concerned about animal welfare? I haven't seen any animal willingly go into the slaughter house.

Just sayin'

Yes they should. I think we all should.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Temple Grandin.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Our treatment of animals (9 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL