The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Mongolian Pop Knot (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
jnrussell
View Profile
Loyal user
Michigan
206 Posts

Profile of jnrussell
Thanks Pop!
John Russell
Mastering Magician
www.TheMasterMagician.net
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3509 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
You're welcome!
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3509 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
The Mongolian Pop Knot video is available here:

http://www.popsmagic.com/store/p12/Pop_H......%21.html
wwhokie1
View Profile
Elite user
488 Posts

Profile of wwhokie1
Pop, when is the six card repeat being released, it is listed as coming soon. Always loved the six card repeat concept, but could never find a version that I thought I could develop a routine with that would work for me. Yours just provides so much freedom for creativity and customizing a routine.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3509 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
I have finished the shooting, and will be editing this week. Should be done by Friday. Then it will be a couple of weeks at the duplicator, unless you want a hand burned copy.
wwhokie1
View Profile
Elite user
488 Posts

Profile of wwhokie1
I can wait a couple of weeks. Thanks, I'll be looking for it on your website.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3509 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
The new DVD on The Six Card Trick is now available at www.popsmagic.com

wwhokie1
View Profile
Elite user
488 Posts

Profile of wwhokie1
Placed my order today.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3509 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Thanks, wwhokie1!
Gaz_Japan
View Profile
Regular user
150 Posts

Profile of Gaz_Japan
Looks great.

Just 2 questions.
How much Rope would I need for one performance?
Are you going to have to use new rope every time you practice this?
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
You can eliminate the cutting of the rope from the routine and just begin at the point where you show three equal length ropes OR you can get to that point by PRETENDING to cut the three ropes into equal lengths. This allows you to use the same rope over again, providing you can retrieve the flying pop knots for recycling.
DougTait
View Profile
Elite user
Sebring, FL
490 Posts

Profile of DougTait
You will need approx 14-16 feet of rope per routine. You can practice with cheap Dollar Store clothesline (preferably cotton, but anything that is flexible will work). For performances, you can use "Magician's Rope".

Jim's suggestion may work, but it will certainly detract from the main focus of the effect in that you begin with a very long length of rope, cut it 3 times and finish with a very long piece of rope.

Why do magician's hate to use up rope? I think it's because most magicians are cheap Smile

Even if you use top-of-the-line Baronian rope (15mm), it will cost less than $10 per performance. You can cut your cost in half by using thinner rope of course.

Best of luck,
Doug
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men [and women] to do nothing."
Gaz_Japan
View Profile
Regular user
150 Posts

Profile of Gaz_Japan
Thanks for the information.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Quote:
On Aug 2, 2014, DougTait wrote:

Jim's suggestion may work, but it will certainly detract from the main focus of the effect in that you begin with a very long length of rope, cut it 3 times and finish with a very long piece of rope.

You must have missed the part where I suggested as an alternative, PRETENDING to cut a single long rope into three equal ropes as a start. You have to practice your acting skills to convince the audience that you actually cut the rope, but because of the story you tell (assuming you are parroting Whit Haydn's lines) it is a believable ruse. They've all seen magicians cut rope before, but what they haven't seen is what comes next.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2774 Posts

Profile of John Long
Last year I performed the MPK, and I quickly saw that practicing used lots of rope. My solution to this was to create multiple sets of ropes; one set for each stage of the routine. So when I got to that point in the routine, I just grabbed the set that represented what I would have had if I really did cut the ropes.

So that I could practice the initial cuts, I wrapped masking tape around the ropes that result from truly doing the first set of cuts.

I used these prepared sets until my dialog and actions were well learned and I was comfortable doing both together (timing/coordinating the actions and the words). Then I was ready to practice with fresh rope.

A lot of rope was still spent, but this saved a tremendous amount of rope.

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3509 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Quote:
On Aug 2, 2014, jimgerrish wrote:
Quote:

You must have missed the part where I suggested as an alternative, PRETENDING to cut a single long rope into three equal ropes as a start. You have to practice your acting skills to convince the audience that you actually cut the rope, but because of the story you tell (assuming you are parroting Whit Haydn's lines) it is a believable ruse. They've all seen magicians cut rope before, but what they haven't seen is what comes next.

The strength of the argument of this routine requires that the rope be examined, and then cut and restored.

Therefore, the second cut and restore into three pieces has to be real.

To eliminate the first cut and restored is to eliminate the reason to cut it into three pieces and to eliminate the argument premise that the rope has been examined so the audience "knows" it doesn't stretch and "knows" for a fact that it was cut several times.

It is the conviction of the audience that the rope is really and truly cut many times that makes this different from the George Sander's descendents.

This is a routine of power, a true mind melter--to eliminate the first part is to turn it into another "eye candy" set of "surprises."
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Quote:
Why do magician's hate to use up rope? I think it's because most magicians are cheap.

There's a good reason for having an alternate method that doesn't actually cut up any rope, and that is if you are performing as a busker - or strolling magician - or table-hopping. In those situations where you perform the same stuff over and over for different audiences, you don't need to leave a little trail of rope bits behind.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3509 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
I agree. That would be a reason to change the routine. I don't think it could be magically quite as strong, but it would still be a strong trick.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Here's a possible compromise. Learn the Mongolian Pop Knot Routine exactly as Whit teaches it. Then, as a "contingency plan" in case you ever get thrown out into the street, practice with a version of the Pop Knot routine in which you don't actually cut the rope, but merely pretend to. Now you are ready for whatever life throws at you.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Whit Haydn graciously gave me permission to publish my solutions for performing his Mongolian Pop Knot Routine using "false cuts" and "rope switches" which are described in the e-Book, now available in Book Four of our Mini-Mysteries series at The Magic Nook. NOTE: You need to already know how to perform the Mongolian Pop Knot just as Whit teaches it in his book and/or DVD. I do not explain his routine - just the steps you need to take to travel with it from performance to performance without actually cutting any rope and leaving behind a little trail of Pop Knots. The same techniques can be used with any cut and restored rope routine in which you, for reasons of your own, want to stop cutting up rope and leaving pieces behind.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Mongolian Pop Knot (9 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL