The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Harakhan Cage Problems (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

latentimage
View Profile
Elite user
No More Room In Hell..
438 Posts

Profile of latentimage
I recently acquired a Harakhan cage that I am now having problems with. When it expands, the screw and the spring end up shooting out of the bottom, collapsing the cage inward after production. I can put everything back together, but it keeps happening continuously. The perch does not seem to be stripped. I suppose I could glue it to make it stay, but the stress that happens with production would probably make it come loose again anyhow.

Has anyone else had this issue with an appearing cage? I've contacted Richard Hughes who may be able to repair it, but I figured it would make sense to find out if this is a common issue. Nothing appears to be damaged in any way, which is what is really puzzling.

Best,

Allen
"Come to the edge," he said, They Said "We Are Afraid," "Come to the edge," he said, They Came, He Pushed Them...And They Flew. -Apollinaire

"If there be a skeptical star, I was born under it. Yet I have lived all my days in complete astonishment." -W. MacNeile Dixon
sperris
View Profile
Special user
http://www.Anti-Conjuror.com
881 Posts

Profile of sperris
I own two harakhan cages but never had a problem with them like that are you sure it is a real harakhan and not a chinese or indian knock off?
DANSPERRY.COM
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
My 2 have never come apart as well. To help you with your problem, I cannot see the screw you are speaking of, but usually how you repair stripped screws is to replace it with the next large size. You may have to by a Tap and Die set to re-thread the inside. Another method is to use a heli-dcoil which is a small spring that expands when the screw is inserted. Check with your local Hardware store and see their special fasteners section to see if you can find anything that will fit.
latentimage
View Profile
Elite user
No More Room In Hell..
438 Posts

Profile of latentimage
Hey Dan,

I am pretty positive it's real, as I got it from a trusted member here on the Café. I actually thought about PM'ing you with this question since you have spoken highly of Harakhan before, and I know you trust them with your birds.

Bill,

The coil you are mentioning makes sense and seems like it may work. The screw doesn't seem stripped to me as it does go in and hold for a while, but I suppose it must be to some extent since it's falling out. It will usually work properly one time after repairs before flying out again.

Best,

Allen
"Come to the edge," he said, They Said "We Are Afraid," "Come to the edge," he said, They Came, He Pushed Them...And They Flew. -Apollinaire

"If there be a skeptical star, I was born under it. Yet I have lived all my days in complete astonishment." -W. MacNeile Dixon
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
If it is pulling out, then it is stripped, good that it catches a little yet as that means there are some threads still in the hole.
latentimage
View Profile
Elite user
No More Room In Hell..
438 Posts

Profile of latentimage
Went to the shop today and looked for the stuff to re-thread it. The sales person recommended some Lock-Tite though, so I decided to try that. I'm gonna let it sit for 24 hours, and then see if that helps anything. If not, I might try some different kinds of glue that can fill the space.

Thanks again everyone,

Allen

latentimage
View Profile
Elite user
No More Room In Hell..
438 Posts

Profile of latentimage
Just an update. For anyone who may have problems like this with an appearing cage in the future, let me say that glue is not the way to solve them. If the glue is weak enough to be removed later on, it won't be strong enough to hold the screw in place permanently. If the glue is strong enough to hold it in place and it eventually does break again (like mine did) any of the threads that were left will now be gone. Working on some other options right now to get it fixed, but I'm not sure if will really ever work correctly again. Even if I do get it fixed, I probably won't trust it with a real bird inside since it could easily get crushed or worse if it breaks again. Luckily, I hadn't placed a live bird inside it before it broke.

Allen

hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
You might have some luck with JB weld which can be drilled and tapped.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
latentimage
View Profile
Elite user
No More Room In Hell..
438 Posts

Profile of latentimage
Hey Richard,

I'm actually having someone give that a try right now. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Allen

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Harakhan Cage Problems (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL