The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » Tokyo (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
teevtee
View Profile
Inner circle
1558 Posts

Profile of teevtee
Richard or anyone with experience in Tokyo-

I tend to visit Japan every few years. I was last there in 2012 and will be visiting Tokyo again next month.
Although I have been there fairly often I have never really sought out Tenyo or magic in general.

Of course I have seen Tenyo for sale at toy and department stores but I tend to shy away since I do not read Japanese and most if the time they do not have English translations. Do you have any recommendations for great Tenyo and magic spots in Tokyo worth visiting?

I think I may try harder to find some this time.

Thanks
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2445 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
You should definitely visit Ton Onosaka's shop Magic Land, though it's hard to find. It's on the Kayabacho stop on the Hibiya Line.

You should go to the Tenyo Magic Corner in Shibuya--I think that's where Billy works. He's very good. The Tenyo corners in Mitsukoshi and the Ginza only have a demonstrator on the weekend. Of course the premier place to go is Haneda Airport to see Tenyo's senior demonstrator, Mr. Shimizu, at the Hakuhinkan Toy shop there. He works five days a week, but I don't know which two days he takes off.
teevtee
View Profile
Inner circle
1558 Posts

Profile of teevtee
Thanks Richard I really appreciate it. I doubt that I can get to Haneda (we fly in and out if Narita) but the others for sure.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2445 Posts

Haneda is an easy bus ride from the Tokyo City Air Terminal (TCAT). Less than an hour. Trust me: Mr. Shimizu is the best thing you'll see on your trip Tenyo wise.
teevtee
View Profile
Inner circle
1558 Posts

Profile of teevtee
Ok cool. I have been there before and the airport buses are very easy I agree.
I'm just tight on time this trip since we are also going to Hong Kong... I just have less time. But I will give it a shot on your recco.

Thanks again
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2445 Posts

Give me the day you think you can go and I will ask Mr. Shimizu if he will be there. He does not speak English, but will greet you warmly when you tell him that you are a Tenyo fan and I said you should visit him. Contact me at this email if you want to check the date: moobooks@verizon.net. Be prepared to buy a bunch of stuff: Tenyo is much less expensive in Japan!
teevtee
View Profile
Inner circle
1558 Posts

Profile of teevtee
Thanks Richard. Very kind of you.
I need to look into the dates as I am really not sure at the moment.
I have purchased Tenyo in Japan before but the lack if English is sometimes an issue.
jpmagic0820
View Profile
New user
Japan
5 Posts

Profile of jpmagic0820
Billy works at Tenyo Magic Corner in Shinjyuku not Shibuya.
Magic corner is on the 9th floor in Takashimaya department store.

Mr. Shimizu has the day off on Tuesday and Wednesday.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2445 Posts

Thank you for correcting my mistake, jpmagic. I always get Shinjuku and Shibuya mixed up.
maousus
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of maousus
Thanks for sharing these useful info, I would also make sure to drop by these Tenyo places next time in Tokyo.
teevtee
View Profile
Inner circle
1558 Posts

Profile of teevtee
Awesome... thank you jpmagic... I should be able to make it there fore sure in just about a month from today!
maousus
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of maousus
Tokyu Hands continues to carry quite some modern day still-available Tenyo produtcts at very competitive price, along with other brands of magic equipment.
teevtee
View Profile
Inner circle
1558 Posts

Profile of teevtee
Yea Tokyu Hands is always a fun place to visit regardless of Tenyo.
spycrapper
View Profile
Loyal user
Indonesia
295 Posts

Profile of spycrapper
Sorry for bumping up an old thread.

I will be going to Japan around mid July, and I want to visit Ton Onosaka's Magic Land.

From what I read here and another thread, it's seem quite difficult for foreigner to find the shop. May I ask direction on how to get there from the Kayabacho station?

As for Tokyu Hands, are there specific branch that sells Tenyo (or any magic prop) or we can find them in any Tokyu Hands store?

1 last question, does magic store in Japan sell English magic book?

Thank you

-Ario
Magic is life

Ario A.
visit my blog:
http://amagicblog.wordpress.com
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2445 Posts

Magic Land does sell English language magic books. I don't know what other magic shops are in Japan. The best way to get to Magic Land, which is closed on Mondays but open the rest of the week, is to call them when you exit the Kayabacho station. The phone number is (3) 3666-4749. They also have a website:
http://www.magicland.jp/index.html

And here's a map:
http://www.magicland.jp/Home/MagicLand_map.html

Address:
Yubinbango103-0025 Nihonbashi,
Chuo-ku, Tokyo Kayabacho 2-17-4
cooperative development building 5F
Telephone: 03 (3666) 4749-Fax: 03 (3666) 7306

◆ business hours: 11: 00 AM~6: 30PM ◆ Closed Monday and holidays
johnsigna
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of johnsigna
If you're looking specifically for Tenyo, you should go to one of the Tenyo Corners. On my last trip I went to Takashimaya dept. store in Shinjuku, which has a Tenyo Corner in the toy section (back of store, 8th floor I think). The demonstrator, Billy Masuda, was very friendly and showed me some of his routines, some of which will be in Richard's book.

At the very back of Takashimaya is a Tokyu Hands with a magic counter, but it was more of a standard mini magic shop that had some Tenyo tricks at same price as Tenyo Corner.
spycrapper
View Profile
Loyal user
Indonesia
295 Posts

Profile of spycrapper
Thank you Richard and johnsigna for the suggestions.

I looked at the map and compared it using Google Street view. I think I found the place, so hopefully I can visit Magic Land without much trouble.

I will also allocate time to visit Tenyo Corner of Takashimaya.

Thank you!
Magic is life

Ario A.
visit my blog:
http://amagicblog.wordpress.com
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2445 Posts

Have a great trip.
Make sure you go to Asakusa and see the temple and the shopping arcade.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2445 Posts

Have a great trip.
Make sure you go to Asakusa and see the temple and the shopping arcade.
edshern
View Profile
Inner circle
1399 Posts

Profile of edshern
Quote:
On Jul 1, 2015, spycrapper wrote:
Thank you Richard and johnsigna for the suggestions.
I looked at the map and compared it using Google Street view. I think I found the place, so hopefully I can visit Magic Land without much trouble.
I will also allocate time to visit Tenyo Corner of Takashimaya.
Thank you!

Spy- For those of us who have never been, or have any plans of visiting Japan, how about posting some pictures here on your return.
Thanks,
Ed
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » Tokyo (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL