The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Irish Potato Famine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Magicfish, that made interesting reading. But it does not reflect properly the changes in Irish schools and Irish society. For one thing, very few schools start with a prayer!

Historically since the foundation of the state the church ran schools and hospitals, because they had the resources the new state did not have. They no longer run the hospitals, though they do have limited patronage in some of them. The schools are largely secular now. When I grew up half of my high school teachers were priests. Now there are no priests on the teaching staff. Our current Education Minister (like our president) is an atheist, and is trying to remove church patronage from schools, with a high degree of support from the public. At this time a certain amount of religious instruction is given in schools, but it is multi-denominational, and students can opt out, as my kids do. Even back in the bad old days I was given a 40 minute class by the priest in charge to put the atheist viewpoint. Debate wasn't just tolerated, it was welcomed.

Our constitution mentions a god (a thing we will hopefully remove in due course as the constitution is under review). But the state is not, and never was, a Catholic state. No religion was given preference in the Constitution, which clearly sets us up as a secular state.

Divorce was introduced relatively late in Ireland, as the article noted. However it is not a long and difficult process to get a divorce. It is extremely simple. If a marriage has been broken beyond repair for a period (five years) the divorce is granted on a simple court application.

If you look at a situation from one perspective it is easy to find what you are looking for, and there was nothing factually incorrect in the article (aside from emphasis). But the Ireland I live in is a purely secular society, and has been for twenty or more years.
COB
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of COB
Not what I expected to find when searching for irish on the café ha
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Irish Potato Famine (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL