The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » Abbotts Get-Together? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
JoshTmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Illinois
265 Posts

Profile of JoshTmagic
Hey guys thinking of going to Abotts Get-Together in August any of you been there?
Any comments on it or reccomendations?
Thanks
magicgettogether
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
556 Posts

Profile of magicgettogether
I truly love it. This year will be a little bit more special since its Abbott's 80th birthday. You can keep up with the latest on this at http://www.magicgettogether.com/
80 years in the making - Magic Get Together
Visit Abbotts Magic Online - Abbott Magic
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
My son and I have been the last two years. GREAT time!
We'll be back agin this year. Can't wait!

Ken
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
In my opinion, EVERY serious Magician should make the pilgrimage to Colon at least once to experience The Abbott's Get-Together....there's simply no other place on Earth Like Colon, Michigan, especially during Magic Week!!!
Carl Jarboe
View Profile
New user
Detroit, Michigan USA
12 Posts

Profile of Carl Jarboe
Been attending since 1969. Should be a good one this year looking at the schedule. I have a cottage on Palmer Lake for the week walking distance from the M&M Grill. We will arrive the Sunday before. May throw a cookout on Tuesday if anyone is interested.
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
My memories of meeting with so many great Magicians and picking their brains at Abbott's during their get-togethers are, quite literally, some of the most precious memories of my life.
hefemexy
View Profile
Special user
520 Posts

Profile of hefemexy
Is the contest only a stage contest? There is no close up?
Okay, I give up what was your card?

https://www.facebook.com/lionsmagic

Look nothing up my sleeves, but you're not wearing sleeves

hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7392 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Only stage...
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Tom Dobrowolski
View Profile
Special user
582 Posts

Profile of Tom Dobrowolski
While not actually sponsored by Abbott's there is of course this contest during Magic Week.

http://www.magicgettogether.com/specialevents.html#curly

The New Curly's Bar and Grill
CURLY'S CLOSEUP CONTEST
Join us after the Thursday show for the 23rd Curly's Closeup Contest

Curly's is back, and with it the 23rd Curly's Closeup Contest will take on a new meaning as the event will take place in the new building. As many of you know, the original Curly's building burned down in 2013 (the closeup contest continued in 2013 using a temporary location), but has been rebuilt and it is a beautiful building that now wraps around the corner of mainstreet.

Minnesota magician Tru DiCanzo once described the Curly's Closeup Contest as follows. "This was unlike any magic contest I've seen before - The Curly's Classic is like the wrestling cage match of magic. It's one of the most challenging performance situations in the middle of a bar with the noise of video games, and pool tables."
hefemexy
View Profile
Special user
520 Posts

Profile of hefemexy
Is there a cash prize or anything for the close up contest
Okay, I give up what was your card?

Look nothing up my sleeves, but you're not wearing sleeves

Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Yes there are prizes for Curly's Closeup Contest. 1st, 2nd and 3rd place will receive an award plague. 1st place $100. 2nd place $50. 3rd place $25. I won 1st place last year. I won 3rd place three years ago. I will be the emcee this year.
mtoth2008
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of mtoth2008
This will be the first year for the Curlys Close-up contest at the newly rebuilt and much larger Curlys. Last years contest was held under a tent outside and had only 2 participants if I remember correctly as most of the folks in Colon that week assumed it was not going to happen due to the Curlys fire. This is a terrific and very entertaining event but potential participants need to be aware that the "panel" of judges only includes one magician with the rest of the judges being local residents. While I have not personally performed some of my friends have. Before anyone travels long distances to participate you need to be aware that it is more of a "Crowd Entertainment Contest" than a true close-up contest with often really good magic (which is performed there) placing poorly on the judges ballots verses louder "bar style" performances that rev up the late night crowd of well lubricated individuals. Calling it a wrestling cage match of magic is a very close description. It is extremely entertaining but potential participants need to be aware even the greatest close-up magician in the world might fall flat with these judges if his or her material is not "edgy" enough. I highly recommend attending the event as it is one of those "Abbott week traditions" that just doesn't exist anywhere else.
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
Jeff Hobson will be on the show Wednesday night, and then lecturing on Thursday morning. Should be a GREAT week!

Ken
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5750 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I'll probably be there for the Thursday sessions. I've been going continuously since the late 70s.

As the 2003 winner at Curly's, you have to see this trainwreck and how the best acts deal with the conditions. You never know when a hardcore drunk will jump to his feet, cussing out a friend at the top of his lungs, oblivious to the show. The bad sight lines are another obstactle, but I think visual acts tend to do the best.
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2877 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
I have been going to Abbott's on and off since about 1963. I always go there at least one or two of the days now. When I was a kid (and could afford the time to be there), it was the most thrilling week of my year. My Dad used to give Neil Foster a bottle of home made wine to keep an eye on me- I slept on the couch of the house directly across the street from the Abbott plant.

Most of the "greats" of magic have been there in Colon at least once or twice- and even the greats return years later after becoming well known in Vegas or overseas. Gay Blackstone, for example, has been there faithfully for years, and it will be interesting to see her there on next Friday night? when the "Masters of Illusion" television series premiers on the CW network that same evening. My guess is she is the Executive Producer for that program- magic classic style, no camera tricks or audience stooges. I have kept magician autographs obtained there for years- and have gotten just about everyone imaginable from Blackstone to Mac King.

My all time favorite performer at Abbott's was Earl Ray Wilcox- I posted his Abbott's routine on youtube (introduced by Blackstone, Jr.)- because I knew him (he was from Grand Rapids) and Earl was just a classy, wonderful and kind person. An excellent example of a Chavez School graduate magic routine (think Dale Salwak) that will remain timeless.
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
MagicBus:

You're right....Earl Ray Wilcox was a GREAT manipulator, and one of the nicest guys you would ever want to meet. He was one of the "hidden treasures" of Abbott's get-togethers in years past.

One of the great things about going to Abbott's Get-Togethers is seeing Magician friends year after year and socializing with them.....great memories are made at Abbott's. Also, you never know who's going to be there!
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2877 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Specifically, the FAB magic convention is going on right now in Colon (July 23-26), and Abbott's Get-Together is August 6-9, 2014. Good magical times in Pure Michigan.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5964 Posts

Profile of motown
I've been to Abbott's many many times. It was my first convention. I must admit, I miss the the old Fox Follies. Always so much fun. Always enjoyed sitting by Dave Madden. He'll be missed.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2877 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Good talking to you Al last week in Colon, hope to see you there next week as well. Sorry I had to run, my wife and I were heading over to the all you can eat weekend only crab leg buffet at Riverlake Inn (also in Colon)- good place to go early Friday or Saturday night before the evening Get-Together show (Riverlake Inn opens at 4pm usually).

If you order off the menu, you need plenty of time in this "relaxed" beautiful hummingbird infested area restaurant, so go to the buffet line unless you can get there well before show time- otherwise you'll find yourself rushed and not able to get out of there before 7:30pm or so. So we usually go the buffet route on busy weekends there. If you like crab legs, Riverlake can't be beat.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5750 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On Jul 30, 2014, MagicBus wrote:
Good talking to you Al last week in Colon, hope to see you there next week as well. Sorry I had to run, my wife and I were heading over to the all you can eat weekend only crab leg buffet at Riverlake Inn (also in Colon)- good place to go early Friday or Saturday night before the evening Get-Together show (Riverlake Inn opens at 4pm usually).

If you order off the menu, you need plenty of time in this "relaxed" beautiful hummingbird infested area restaurant, so go to the buffet line unless you can get there well before show time- otherwise you'll find yourself rushed and not able to get out of there before 7:30pm or so. So we usually go the buffet route on busy weekends there. If you like crab legs, Riverlake can't be beat.

I had a great steak one of the times that I went to Riverlake Inn. I forgot what I had the other time, but it included a trip to the salad bar. The sauted mushrooms were great! It's definitely a small town restaurant. When taking a drink order, the waitresses would find it impossible to compete with the average waitresses at the best places in GR. I can tell when a waitress is decent, if she can comprehend the concept of a brewery producing more than one kind of beer. I hate it when a waitress says they have Bell's. I have to ask which one. They brew dozens of varieties!!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » Abbotts Get-Together? (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL