We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Faux vs real fruit for chop cup loads (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
David French
View Profile
Veteran user
371 Posts

Profile of David French
All -

I have been using the Michael Ammar Fab Fruit for years for loads to my chop cup routine. I have the lemon and lime. I used to use real fruit. Lately I have received some comments/questions asking if the faux fruit is real? I make a joke as I had them out, saying I am too lazy to go to the store, and they are not real. but solid. I am wondering if the real fruit would create a better reaction?

What is your experience?

thanks,

David
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
If folks are going to handle the loads, I'd go for the real thing. However... I don't give them the opportunity to grab anything. Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
942 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
I don't know why they are asking as the fruit is very well made. maybe they are thinking that it is some kind of collapsible or "spring" fruit and that for thme is a possible solution to the method?
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA
David French
View Profile
Veteran user
371 Posts

Profile of David French
Well, not sure why they are asking to be honest. I had one lady say they seem too shiny...I think it is that they want to see if they are solid, which I point out to them that they are...
Russ P.
View Profile
New user
Southern Indiana
32 Posts

Profile of Russ P.
I like handing things out for inspection after I'm clean if I can do so safely. I think it can improve the experience for the audience. I would never hand out fake fruit though. The whole point of that finish is so that the audience believes that they just saw something amazing with every day items that they can recognize easily.

I'm pretty new to this, but I don't see myself handing out fake fruit for inspection. I'm also tired of going to the store and just buying fruit for this, so I'm working on other final loads. Right now I've got a plastic Easter egg with the balls used in the performance inside, but I'm still working on loads for the other two cups.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
I guess if it's too tiring to go to a shop, then using alternatives is the way to go. Smile
ftlum
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, CA
727 Posts

Profile of ftlum
There are a lot of places that carry fake fruit that looks and feels real (and heavy). I think I got mine from Harry and David.
These look a lot better than Fab Fruit, but you'll wan't to make sure they fit in your cups. The lemons I got were hard to load (they needed to sit at an angle), but the limes were fine. I don't think limes are as "funny" to produce, for some reason.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
If behind the bar, or somewhere where people can grab...or I can just hand them, always real. If they grab a rubber lemon they're a bit disappointed. (But still, where did it come from?!?!?) Nothing tops fruit, but I always carry balls as a back up. My usual load is 3 fruit, and one ball.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Pepka knows Smile
EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1272 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
I used to use oranges but got tired of buying new ones every time I performed. I switched to baseballs. They have a nice solid thud when I bang them on the table, or against each other.

I wouldn't use fake fruit. To me it screams hollow and hollow screams collapsible and then THAT's how it's done. Collapsible fruit. And yeah I know, but it doesn't really have to make sense.
by EVILDAN....
"The Coin Board Book" - moves and routines with the coin panel board. - http://www.lybrary.com/the-coin-board-book-p-827955.html
"SLASHER - A Horror Whodunnit" - a bizarre close-up routine based on Bob Neale's "Sole Survivor."
PM me for more info.
"Zombie Town" - a packet effect about how a small town turned into zombies. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzJhcoJtyOM
ftlum
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, CA
727 Posts

Profile of ftlum
A person couldn't tell the ones I have were fake unless they tried to cut them open.
Just look around and you'll find some high-quality fake fruit.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3548 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
I use silicone fake fruit. I can toss an orange to the spectator and they can't tell it isn't real, but usually I just let each one drop to the table. They are even heavier than the real thing and make a nice solid sound.

Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1869 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Spectators think the fruit is fake and collapsible, because, otherwise, where would it come from? I always use real fruit. I don't do a lot of performing, but when I do the cups and balls, I leave the fruit with the audience. They always want to handle it. Unless they handle it, they will always think the fruit are fake and collapsible. Some people save it (for a while, at least) and show their friends who did not see the show.

Vernon, on the Revelation tapes, says that lemons and potatoes work the best. He says that for some reason, unknown to him, oranges and other fruit do not evoke the same response.
TKF
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of TKF
I recall Vernon saying that... And it just occured to me why this might be! My thoughts as they just flashed to me:

When you have a jacket filled with oranges & apples, if someone were to bump you and ask about the odd bulge, you can actually answer somewhat sensibly with something as, "I like fruit", "Doctors orders", "Diabetes", etc... Something half intelligible at the least.

But if someone were to discover you have pockets full of potatoes or lemons.... Well lets face it, they are totally out of place to be carried on a person in their daily activities, & have no good use to be carried. Very hard to say "Well I was just about to eat this raw potato, then just finish it off with a delicious sour lemom... Its my favorite!" "I work as a fry chef, & they needed me to bring some extras" "Im tending bar, & they make us bring our own twists!"... just not the same IMO

Perhaps this is a factor that transcends the time barrier of when Vernon was finding these things out - These items & how they are used commonly has barely changed... & thus the impact they make still the same (for better or worse).
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Quote:
On Mar 24, 2014, Pete Biro wrote:
Pepka knows Smile

Ah.....praise from Caesar himself!
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1869 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Maybe another historical analogy would be more appropriate. After all, we know what happened to Caesar.
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1869 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
I don't think there is any reason behind why lemons have more of an impact than oranges. It appears to be just one of those inscrutable, human things.
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
I think if you are afraid that they might think it is fake fruit then this feeling will be send to the audience. if you don't care they don't care. I did an egg bag routine and for this I used real eggs (blown out) and a peticular spectator said it was not a real egg it was fake. he even wanted me to throw the egg on the floor so I would proff that it is a real egg. so if if the audience can't see the differenrence between real and real why bother. don't go into discussion with an audience you are there to entertain not to lead a discussion group.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Lemon and potatoes are funny. Oranges are not. Don't know why, but it is true. Smile
Nick W
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Nick W
In response to the question of real fruit vs fake fruit, first think I wonder is, what is your venue?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Faux vs real fruit for chop cup loads (12 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL