The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » What happened, was this... » » YouTube is a jerk! (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Uploaded some videos and the automatic recommend feature put a link to an exposure of the method right there following the clip.
Had to change the description to get those to go away.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
trampabroad
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of trampabroad
One thing's got to be said for the internet--it's certainly encouraging us to come up with original tricks.

Thanks to youtube, the only way to really stop exposure is to invent your own effects.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
I don't really agree with that justification, which was the one Valentino always used. People who know magic can usually work out a method for almost anything they see and then the unscrupulous can give this secret out to show how "smart" they are. There's also the fact that pretty much all new effects will incorporate an element of an old effect, which makes it that much easier. I think that the only way for exposure to stop is for people to stop exposing. A man can dream.

Well, my problem was solved by simply changing the name. People can probably still find the method easily, but at least there's not a giant pointing finger right on the end of my video.
~Will Rogers
trampabroad
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of trampabroad
It's not meant as a justification, more of a wry aside. The fact is if you really want to keep an effect secret, you have to keep it to yourself.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Only meant I've heard it used as a justification for exposure- as noted, by Valentino.
~Will Rogers
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3286 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Why post the tricks you perform on You Tube in the first place?
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Free publicity to generate excitement for the shows I plan to begin this summer. I've learned of the value of using YouTube for this by observing legends much more experienced than myself-

For example,

Harry Lorayne: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp5fCdkipFE

Pop Haydn: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POYG0Pl-aG8
~Will Rogers
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3286 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
The reason I don't upload to You Tube is because you have all that competition to contend with. I have videos on my website that can be viewed without the clutter of exposure and competing against other magicians performing the same tricks.

If I had my own version of The Intricate Web of Distraction and it was a good performance, and up loaded it to you tube then the viewer saw my version and then clicked on Pop Haydn's performance, they would think I stink compared to Pop's version, so I keep my videos on my website so I look good with no comparison.

I then point the prospective client to my website to see everything I have to offer, not to You Tube where I am compared to other magicians

You Tube knows nothing about keeping a magic trick a secret, to the You Tube employees, the exposure is a teaching video
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
I do disable comments and fudge the descriptions and then put the link on my other social media sites. So I've figured out quickly how to get around the lack of regulation. That said, I don't put my best stuff on there. Gotta' save a little something for when I can actually *see* the reactions Smile
~Will Rogers
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3286 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
My point was, you dislike You Tube because they expose the method of how your tricks are performed,

Even of you do disable comments and fudge the descriptions, the exposure videos are still up and next to your video. At the end of your video, all these little boxes come up with the same prop you just performed and anyone can click on it and compare you to the other video, or learn how it is done.

Remember read your original post, nothing has changed.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
After I changed the description the exposure video went away so it stopped being an issue for me.
~Will Rogers
TravisNye
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of TravisNye
I will not lie I have learned a lot from youtube. For magicians who will utilize this is great but for people just looking to find out how it is done this can be a huge impact on the magic community. I have chosen to look for the silver lining in this issue. If you perform a trick and someone says I know how that is done...What do you do if they are correct? In my experience I have one solid solution. Simply perform it again but with a different method or with a different result. it floors them every time when you prove them wrong and if they mention youtube or the masked magician. I always tell them magicians put those videos up just to throw you further of course so you wont find the real secret. If you have an effect you perform regularly I strongly urge you to have a back up way to perform it in case you get caught or someone exposes your method
Greg755
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of Greg755
Me too. I have not only learned a lot from youttube but it has saved me tons of money from buying things I cant use. On the other side I HAVE bought a lot of things because I saw that it is in my skill level and or the thing is very well made/thought out. I personally would never put the secret up om youtube myself. I am surprised that an inventor of magic has not sued youtube. If you own the trick there must be some type of leagle recourse they can take. If I have someone say I know how it s done I just pretty much ignore them and continue on. If he says something like its done with a TT or he is using thread, then I will probably say something to the effect of: Whats your name? John? Hey every one say hello to the amazing john, please welcome john to the stage... or for your pleasure witness the magic of the Amazing John.....
E.E.
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of E.E.
YouTube is a double-edged sword
I shall see you on the other side.
ZakKnapper UK
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of ZakKnapper UK
This is one of the reasons why I don't post magic on YouTube that often, there too many exposed secrets to avoid.

Zak
DrNorth
View Profile
Veteran user
North Starr Entertainment, Harrisburg PA
364 Posts

Profile of DrNorth
What ****es me off is 9 times out of 10, it is some pimply faced talentless 12 year old, thinking exposing magic makes him cool.
Smile
"For it shows things that were, and things that are, and things that yet may be. But which it that he sees, even the wisest cannot always tell"
~Galadriel

"A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes."
DrNorth
View Profile
Veteran user
North Starr Entertainment, Harrisburg PA
364 Posts

Profile of DrNorth
Worse than Valentino, a major nozzle.
Smile
"For it shows things that were, and things that are, and things that yet may be. But which it that he sees, even the wisest cannot always tell"
~Galadriel

"A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes."
Greg755
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of Greg755
Quote:
On Mar 26, 2014, critter wrote:

Well, my problem was solved by simply changing the name. People can probably still find the method easily, but at least there's not a giant pointing finger right on the end of my video.

Do you use girl or boy names? I never named my tricks....Smile Another way to show off what you do is to make a video out of still pictures (kind of like the old flip books) or very short video clips strung together - looks good on you tube and no one can see your routine and copy/figure it out. But they can see you with a floating table, A fire in your palm your assistants head cut off, etc. etc..
Rocketeer
View Profile
Special user
Westchester, NY
965 Posts

Profile of Rocketeer
Quote:
On Sep 19, 2014, Greg755 wrote:

Do you use girl or boy names? I never named my tricks....Smile

Amen brother.

It's vitally important to refrain from naming tricks or calling them by the names we know them by and making it painfully easier to Google them is only one good reason.

Sometimes it's obviously a bad idea: The card trick Red Hot Mama tips that a red queen is what the trick is all about. It's especially bad for mentalism. For stage magic it doesn't matter much. The cabinets used for Zig Zag Girl or Interlude are so stylized and unlike anything anyone would encounter outside of a magic show that there's no denying that that they are vital to pulling off the effect.

By its very nature a mentalism show consists of "tests" or "experiments" or "demonstrations" and there's no reason why they would or should have names.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here but I thought this might be useful info for any newbies.
I'm selling my hardcover autographed limited edition copy of Jerome Finley's "Thought Veil"

PM me for info.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » What happened, was this... » » YouTube is a jerk! (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL