The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Odd Ball 2 by Marc Oberon and WorldmagicShop (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Benjamin Spades
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of Benjamin Spades
I have also the first version. I did it close up and it worked everytime and no one had a clue. Please remember that the audience will not have the chance to compare the white balls to the black one. It don't fit my actual style anymore, but if you present it right, it's a strong piece of mentalism. In close up I performed it right after a "guess which hand routine".
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
The way I see it, I am planning on keeping all of the balls in the bag, take out a whit one for a quick glimpse, then the black ball. I don't plan on giving them a lot of time with the actual balls. They'll be treated indifferently as to not call attention to them. It is a nice piece.
Head Case
View Profile
Inner circle
1138 Posts

Profile of Head Case
As I have been trying to apply the method of this effect to another totally different effect, Iv started thinking that with the method of this effect, wouldn't it sort of raise red flags in the spectators minds as they had their hand in the bag feeling around for which ball they are going to take? (Possibly noticing a difference) Anyone that has it and performs it, Do you hit it every time, or is there a "high" chance for error if a spectator were to pick up more than 1 ball. Or even picked up a hand full, and then let them all drop out of their hand at once, except for the one they keep? Not saying that would ruin it for you, but make it harder maybe?

I'm actually thinking about buying this now from reading about it so much lol. If you already own the effect, Send me a PM, so I can ask a few questions that I don't want to post on here.
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2523 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Charles Gauci still the best imo.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
5217 Posts

Profile of RNK
Picked this up a few weeks ago. Put it to use this weekend and I will report how easy this is to do. I used it as one part of a routine and the reactions were super strong. I would not use it as a stand alone piece though you could. But its much stronger used as part of a routine IMO. For the price this is definitely worth it.

RNK
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
5217 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Mar 25, 2014, emyers99 wrote:
Had the original. Really poor quality from what I remember. To me, this plot is incredibly boring.

It is boring by itself. I agree. Though- used in a routine where other things are going on- this is super! I used it on stage last weekend as one part of a routine and it really elevated the whole piece.

RNK
Red Shadow
View Profile
Inner circle
1779 Posts

Profile of Red Shadow
Okay,

The dvd is 15 minutes long. There are no performances, not live or even a studio performance. Its just David Penn and Marc Oberon talking to a camera stationary on a tripod. David Penn does most the talking, he asks Marc a question but then he answers it for him before even getting a few words out. David needs to learn to let others talk, especially on their own DVDs!

They discuss why this is different to the first, what you get and that's pretty much it. The method they sort off talk about is also wrong. Marc was holding the bag when doing the trick which is weird because the effect works a lot better when you hold the string. Its basic science and somehow the originator of the effect has overlooked this for 11 years!

They then discuss how often this trick goes wrong and how to get out if it. The fact that it goes wrong so often that it dominates most the conversation is very worrying, and the questions method of false positive for getting out of it was completely stupid and laughable. To think this guy is a FISM champion saying such nonsense is an insult.

So if you buy this, chuck the dvd away and go straight to the props.

Now the props are a different kettle of fish, they are good. The balls are a lot better than the first release. The gimmick ball I initially felt was too much like the others, especially when you hold the bag. The difference between them is barely noticeable. But hold the bag by the string (not taught on the dvd) and suddenly you can feel the change and you start to get confident with it.

Secondly, another law of science kicks in which means the gimmick ball will end up on the bottom of the bag. While this can still be selected by the volunteer, it makes the odds of it being grabbed unlikely until its the last ball in the bag. The balls above it are likely to be got first. So while its not an absolute, there is a higher chance of the last person having the black ball than the ones before it. This is a good thing though as it means should you not be paying attention when the balls are taken, a guess on the last person puts the odds back in your favour.

As bad as the dvd is, I actually do recommend this trick. The props will work (when you hold it by the string). It packs small, plays big, uses five volunteers and can be routined around funny jokes and lines. I would have liked to have seen a live performance of the trick to get an idea of what lines they use, but they obviously didn't care about a quality product and just wanted something quick and cheap to make money off.

It comes with an ungimmicked black ball which wont be needed. Part of me even wants to drill a hole in it and fill it with metal pellets to give me a spare fake that's even more effective than the actual gimmick ball it comes with.

The balls look a lot better than the first release. They look more similar and would even pass an inspection (although I wouldn't recommend it as that's not what the trick is about). The bag is solid enough and the price is reasonable.

It gets 85% for the props and the trick itself. A decent DVD would have earned it a higher score though.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
5217 Posts

Profile of RNK
Thanks for the tip of holding the string! Though I have used this more than a few times holding it by the bag and it never failed me yet. I feel if you are a seasoned performer, not having performances on the DVD should not bother you as the effect and props are great.

RNK
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Odd Ball 2 by Marc Oberon and WorldmagicShop (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.61 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL