The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » In defense of magic chatrooms (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I recently read a rant where I seem to recall the author condemning spending time on magic chatrooms. Fair enough, I have a few favorite successful magicians that I've never seen on such a site, so they're obviously not necessary for success.
On the other hand, since joining the magic café several years ago I've interacted with Christian Chelman, Michael Rubenstein, Harry Lorayne, Ben Salinas, Reed McClintock, Bob Cassidy, Todd Robbins, Pop Haydn, and countless other legends of the field.
My town doesn't even have a magic shop. The nearest one is in the next state over, at an amusement park, and it's meh.
So the opportunity to see what's written by these guys on here is pretty amazing and shouldn't be taken for granted.
If the concern is that it takes time away from practice... who can't do both? David Roth says in the first ECM DVD that typing with a coin CP'd is an excellent practice. Settled.

Yeah, okay, we should find a healthy ratio that includes plenty of off-screen life, but these places are definitely not a waste of time as far as I'm concerned.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Loneliness is not the same as being alone. I keep a common gaming house for living and at the moment there are nine guys and dolls playing poker. They have been here since 5 o'clock and I not spoken with any of them at all.. The highlight of my last four is one fellow asking for more chips. Even dealing can be lonely as no has a conversation with the croupier, but it is not so boring as supervising as one is doing something. So I have a pack of cards and a computer on my deck. I find magic fascinating and enjoy doing a few cards effects when I get the chance. I have interest in bar I not the keeper and do a few things sometimes.. I am hardly ever there as its mainly full young people of a night and well they like that horrible music. I think, like gambling, the internet is addictive.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » In defense of magic chatrooms (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL