The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Self-Contained On-Keychain Gimmicks and Effects (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

CardWiz
View Profile
Special user
Charleston, SC
626 Posts

Profile of CardWiz
Hello fellow members of the Café,

I haven't posted on the Café in a long time, but I am seeking wisdom on a particular topic.

As a short introduction, I am a hobbyist with about 6 years of experience, and my target audience is college students and young adults. Magic is an awesome part of my life, and I am in the process (again) of optimizing my repetoire. I work mostly with normal decks of playing cards, but have recently found success with gimmicks in regards to wallet and cell phone accessories. One area of magic that I have done base-level research in is the range of effects that a performer is able to store on his/her key chain.

I don't how what the current market is for gimmicks/props that can be stored and used on a keychain, and, in-fact, I can only thing about 4 effects on the top of my head that is designed to fit on a keychain.

Hopefully the Gimmicks thread is relevant for this question, and I appreciate all advice regarding this topic.

So, what are your favorite effects that are natural with the key chain/ key ring?? I'd be interested in hearing about any sort of magical accessory whether it would be involved with cards, electronics, keychain cards.......

Thanks in advance.
People have been calling me "Yu" lately. I don't know, must be Chinese.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Here's a few that come to mind:

Fob - David Penn -- "card to keychain"

Freakey - Greg Wilson -- "copper/silver with keys"

The Key - Andrew Mayne -- "key-thru bill"

Ring Flight Revolution - Dave Bonsall -- "ring to keychain"
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
A bit more elaborate is an (Imported) electronic skull fob for your key chain that has light-up red eyes and a maniacal laugh. This works via the Laser Beam principle as a card revelation.

Julie
magico
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
862 Posts

Profile of magico
Tag-O-Magic by Cameron Francis
robvh
View Profile
Elite user
Calgary, AB
440 Posts

Profile of robvh
Ignition by Chris Smith / Magicsmith.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
Here is one thread:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=52

There are others if you do some searches.
Shikanominarazu
View Profile
Loyal user
259 Posts

Profile of Shikanominarazu
If you watch some back episodes of the Wizard Product review, you'll see that they made frequent mention of an act entirely on Craig's key chain. Someone started this thread here http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=289
Zack_Johnston
View Profile
Special user
California
656 Posts

Profile of Zack_Johnston
Try this: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/3351 (Linkey by Alan Rorrison)

You mentioned you already know about four effects off the top of your head involving keychain gimmicks...Do you mind listing them so that we don't name them? Anyway, I have heard great things about Linkey!

Good luck in your search. Smile

Zack Johnston
CardWiz
View Profile
Special user
Charleston, SC
626 Posts

Profile of CardWiz
Thank you all for the replies!! This is a great start. The effects I can name on the top of my head are Tag-O-Magic by Cameron Francis and the utility that came out last year that enables one to have a playing card prediction that plays the same as Paperclipped (forget the name). The others are smaller effects that are very old that naturally can work onto a keychain.

To be honest, Tag-O-Magic by Cameron Francis is the type of effect I am looking for. My only worry is that it is not self contained on the keychain. May I ask, if I were discipled enough to carry the extra item, does anyone know how that item holds up to pocket clutter??

I will start looking through your items and evaluate.

CW
People have been calling me "Yu" lately. I don't know, must be Chinese.
trampabroad
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of trampabroad
I used to carry around(not sure what it's called exactly) the ring-onto-chain effect and use that as my keychain. Until the chain broke, which is why you should be wary about cramming magical things into cluttered pockets.

Not to be too obvious, but there are lots of tricks using keys;) Linking keyrings as well.

Color changing knives sometimes come with a little keyring-hole too.
trampabroad
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of trampabroad
I've also got a queen of clubs tag on my keychain. Use it for impromptu force/reveal type situations.
KokoB
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of KokoB
FOB is such an amazing trick I see it performed so many times & if done right its a must use effect if you are into key chain effects.
yazz
View Profile
New user
UK
49 Posts

Profile of yazz
Tight Spot by Jay Sankey
Killer Key by Jay Sankey
Keylicious by Jeff Prace
Flexion by Jon Allen

- Yazz
bigtyme
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of bigtyme
Keylicious by Jeff Prace
freakey by Gregory Wilson
FOB by David Penn is on my keychain as we speak.
Bust those three out, and you have a mini act attached to your keychain.
greig ewen
View Profile
Elite user
473 Posts

Profile of greig ewen
Titans Finger
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
An impressive bit of mental magic can be achieved with Steve Haynes' FAIR PLAY.

Julie
shg_123
View Profile
New user
Coffey, MO
71 Posts

Profile of shg_123
Ring flight revolution is the way to go
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
An older effect is "Funkey" by Steve Dusheck.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
Another one that hasn't been mentioned, that also has a card theme is The Medallion by Mystique Factory.
Although originally intended to be worn as a medallion, it is pretty small and could also be used as a fob on a keychain.
It's actually a very nice and well-made gimmick.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S15220
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
I use MD mini. Love it.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Self-Contained On-Keychain Gimmicks and Effects (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL