The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Online Magic Dealers.....What Qualifies??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Not every item is decent within both of these online shops. They are just as a real shop and have great items and bad items and everything in between.

That is one reason real life shops are good...they act as a filter so you don't buy crap (depending on how nice of magic shop owner you have).
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
David Fletcher
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of David Fletcher
Check with Denny and Lee. Denny only carries what he knows is good magic.
You have to give it away to keep it.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22842 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Che,

Back in the 60's, 70's, and 80's there use to be a Magician named Ken Brooke, he owned The Magic Place in England. He was the only dealer that you could buy everything he sold and you were guaranteed satisfaction for your money back.

He always put additional instructions sheets out as really good commercial new routines would be created for his tricks. There was never a charge for these added routines. He was truly the best dealer in the world.

Sad to say, I have never run across anyone like him or his policies in my life. There is an old saying, "Let the buyer beware" that is true. If I had all the money I spent on junk, that was supposed to be the next great miracle, I would have my retirement paid for.

That said, don't let this stop you from buying a miracle. Who knows, maybe you can create a routine that no one else has, and you will create the next miracle.

Bill Smile
atced79
View Profile
New user
VA...for a few more months
2 Posts

Profile of atced79
Also.....before you buy ANYTHING.......research it....penguin has a good review section as I'm sure many other places do as well.
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Dealers cannot be the arbiters of what's good, and even if they determine that an effect is trash, if it's popular, they would sell it. What is good for me can be unusable for you.

Generally, I think, that unless a dealer gets freebie samples in the mail to check out (and keep, and sell) they would shy away from rips and knockoffs. Obviously some do not. There is a wonderful, stunner of an Okito effect, with cans, that is now made by the Indians and it goes for about $20...well, the core quality of the base product often determines how expensive an item MUST be, or how cheap an item CAN be. Thus, with this Okito effect, you're getting cheap painted cans, not the ornate gorgeous Okito style stuff.... But the effect is still great.

You cannot assume that because an item is carried, it is right or good for you. You may prefer gaffed cards to finger-flinging, and buying a trick with sleights would be useless to you. The dealer can guide you. If you prefer sleights, a DB DE SBS 1/4" thick gaffed blue-backed poker card attached to body loaded hydraulic Dove Pull is going to crank you right off!

Most will stock the newest latest, to keep up with the times and what’s hot-diggity new, as we magicians tend to rotate our stuff until we settle in to our base-core great act. And even then, I buy stuff out of curiosity.

God bless eBay!
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
sweiss
View Profile
New user
Guam
49 Posts

Profile of sweiss
Hi,
I've been a magic dealer for the last 4 years. Jorgenson comes pretty close to the reality of owning a magic shop. My original philosophy when I started the magic shop was to sell mostly what I liked and could demonstrate properly. I found that I knew more than I thought, but certainly didn't know everything. Therefore I started buying the types of things that customers would ask for. This worked somewhat since the customers asking for say card tricks bought them. Unfortunately no one else did. At least not right away. Keep in mind that a dealer buying from a wholesaler or manufacturer is required to buy a minimum of 3 items to get a wholesale price and often a dozen is the minimum. As for selling quality, even the dealer feels like he has gotten suckered into some items. Especially if it is not the type of magic that appeals to him and will have difficulty demonstrating it. Good dealers will "hit" more than they will "miss" and thereby stay in business. I personally try to stay with the classics and only experiment with things that are new to me in small quantities. The business grows only as I do. One last note. Some stuff that I think is useless turns out to be a prize to someone else. Even stuff that I don't like at first, I'll have another look at a year later and wonder how I ever missed catching on to it. The only advise I can give you, is basically to know what you are looking for (don't go with fads, they will always cost more than they are worth) and choose with your brain and not on impulse.
Stephen Weiss, owner
New Planet Online Magic Shop
http://www.newplanetmagic.com
Anthatron
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Anthatron
I think online magic stores and your local magic shop both have their own special purposes.

I enjoy visiting Penguin Magic to see what they have, read the trick descriptions, and watch their videos. Sometimes online magic shops have fun things that I have not seen in my local shop. I have bought tricks online. Some of them have been great, but often I find that I am not as satisfied with them as the ones I buy at my local magic shop. I have bought tricks that sound awesome in the description and look great in the demo and then when I get them in the mail I am really disappointed. This rarely happens when I buy things from my local shop. There is really nothing that can compare to seeing someone perform the trick right in front of you. You can get a much better idea of if the effect will work for you and your style. If you buy something at a local magic store and have difficulty with it you can always go back and have them help you with it. Personally even if a trick were a few dollars more from the local shop than the Internet I would rather buy it there and support the local guys. The shop near me provides a place for magicians to hang out. Every time I go there I learn a lot about magic, whether I buy anything or not.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Online Magic Dealers.....What Qualifies??? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL