The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Magic with Food (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

yazz
View Profile
New user
UK
49 Posts

Profile of yazz
For some reason I have always found magic with food to be quite fun and interesting:
So for all you creative magicians out there, I was wondering how many cool ideas we could come up with for magic involving food - oreos, tic tacs, crisps (potato chips for americans), chocolate bars etc
Let's hear it!

- Yazz
trampabroad
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of trampabroad
I've definitely done french drops on cookies. Salt shakers, of course. P&T have that one trick with a coke can that I can never get right. Not to mention all the coin/card to bottle/can effects out there.

If you had friends in the food industry, I bet you could get playing cards/other reveals baked into a bread roll or something. That would make a totally wicked ending.
alextsui
View Profile
Regular user
Malaysia
154 Posts

Profile of alextsui
Twister Magic has a few effects with food as the theme. Just a few examples are "Food To Go", "Popcorn Machine", "Multiplying Potato Chips".
The Best Magic Effects to Take Your Performance to the Next Level
https://FireBirdMagic.com
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
942 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
Miser's Dream with cookies or potato chips has been done, but they work great for kid's shows in particular. There are also a lot of foam food props that can be used for multiplying _______ routines. Also, how about a melon produced from a brief case instead of a bowling ball. Finally, I understand that Michael Ammar used to do a challenge vanish of "anything" while table hopping until a kid said, "Make my mashed potatoes disappear." and it cost him an extra cleaning fee on his coat.
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
Last time I posted I had one less than
1197 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
You could have a cookie or something in you hand, and grab it from the air. Then Do a vanish, but pretend to eat it, and make it reappear, and so on. Kind of like a impromptu misers dream. At the end you could say: "take this cookie from me or I'll get diabetes!"
Reality is a real killjoy.
alexander_may
View Profile
Loyal user
South Africa
285 Posts

Profile of alexander_may
I designed an entire act around food, but ran into some problems. I needed fake foods, so it doesn't need replacing every show. Unfortunately as we all know, the sponge and foam items on the market is not very realistic at all.

So I decided to make my own, very realistic sponge items for my shows. Here is a photo of just some of the items I have made. They really pass as the real deal.

ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
1197 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
How did you make them?
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5942 Posts

Profile of george1953
Great pics, why don't you market them ?
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
alexander_may
View Profile
Loyal user
South Africa
285 Posts

Profile of alexander_may
I actually received some enquiries from people who run magic shops after posting, so it seems there is a possibility that I might just do that Smile
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5942 Posts

Profile of george1953
I would take them up on it, they look great, and you might make a bit of cash at the same time.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
1197 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
How compactable are they? Could I conceal them in my hand?
alexander_may
View Profile
Loyal user
South Africa
285 Posts

Profile of alexander_may
They can definitely be concealed in your hand. I use regular sponge/foam so while its not super-soft like sponge balls, it is still standard sponge material so you can really squeeze them into small spaces. For example, in my walk-around I end off by lighting a little bit of flash paper and an ice cream appears, which I then 'eat' as I walk away. I simply have it palmed in my hand while holding the flash paper.

george1953, I just mailed my first batch to a magic shop in the UK Smile So the ball is rolling!
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
1197 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
Quote:
On Jun 19, 2014, alexander_may wrote:
They can definitely be concealed in your hand. I use regular sponge/foam so while its not super-soft like sponge balls, it is still standard sponge material so you can really squeeze them into small spaces. For example, in my walk-around I end off by lighting a little bit of flash paper and an ice cream appears, which I then 'eat' as I walk away. I simply have it palmed in my hand while holding the flash paper.

george1953, I just mailed my first batch to a magic shop in the UK Smile So the ball is rolling!

Cool! I live in America though, so I think you should also set up a website. I would not buy until I thought up a good routine because then it is just a novelty, but that should not be hard.
alexander_may
View Profile
Loyal user
South Africa
285 Posts

Profile of alexander_may
I originally made these items for an act that I created, and from there people told me I should continue making them and selling them. So they were actually just intended for my act Smile I am sure you can easily come up with routines for them, and if you would like to buy them, just send me a PM. I do have a site up now but I obviously won't advertise it on here Smile
TheRaven
View Profile
Special user
597 Posts

Profile of TheRaven
Penn & Teller wrote a whole book - How to Play with Your Food. It has quite a few good ones in there.
RoyHarper
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of RoyHarper
Penn & Teller book is good.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Magic with Food (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL