The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Vent courses for kids (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

AReady
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of AReady
Can anybody recommend a good resource for children wanting to learn vent? I have a lot of kids ask me where they can learn it, and I'd love to be able to recommend a course. I'm thinking of primary school aged kids, roughly the 7-10 year old bracket. Thanks.
KeithS
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of KeithS
Hi AReady,

It's great that you want to introduce vent to interested young children. I teach an informal vent class to middle school students at my school. While they are a bit older than the kids you mention, I'd suggest going the same route that I took. For kids who are generally interested, I'm not sure I'd recommend a full-blown course. Instead, I'd put together some available resources and provide the kids with a good taste of the basics. Then, if they really take to that, you could recommend something more extensive like Tom Crowl's course and/or the new Maher interactive course that is soon to be released.

I introduced my students to the material on Steve Axtell's site. This is a really nice introduction to mouth position and sound substitution:

http://www.axtell.com/vent.html

I ended up copying and pasting the material on Steve's page (with Steve's permission) and put together a packet for each student.

I then gave each student a copy of Mark Wade's character description, a comprehensive breakdown of a vent character. Once the students had a good idea of what character they wanted to create they practiced voices, drew their character, and then began making their puppet (usually a simple sock/moving mouth puppet). They then wrote a basic dialogue between themselves and their characters.

I go into all this in a bit more detail in a recent Ventriloquism Weekly podcast interview that can be found here:

http://ventriloquismweekly.podomatic.com......55-08_00

You did not say if you would be assisting the students. Obviously, what I described above is best when an adult is facilitating the whole thing. But, you could still give them Steve’s material, and maybe even Mark’s, and they’ll have a good start.

If none of this works for you, you can always suggest a good book. For that age, I recommend “Ventriloquism in a Nutshell” (I believe Mark Wade sells it on his website), “Ventriloquism Magic with Your Voice” by George Schindler, and/or “Ventriloquism Made Easy” by Paul Stadelman.

I hope this helps! Good luck!
Steve at The Dummy Shoppe
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of Steve at The Dummy Shoppe
Wow Keith,

You said a mouthful. Great advice, but you did not leave much room for anyone else to say anything :o)

Steve

www.thedummyshoppe.com/blog
KeithS
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of KeithS
Quote:
On Mar 26, 2014, Steve at The Dummy Shoppe wrote:
Wow Keith,

You said a mouthful. Great advice, but you did not leave much room for anyone else to say anything :o)

Ha! Well, I did wait over 24 hours to respond! Smile
AReady
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of AReady
Thanks for your thoughts, Keith. It is very helpful to see what you have been able to put together there. I was thinking firstly of some resources I could point kids to which wouldn't need my direct involvement as I am not currently running classes, however running classes with good resources would certainly be the ideal. The web page is Axtell is fantastic, I will recommend this to the kids as a starting point.
KeithS
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of KeithS
Fatastic, AReady. All the best to you and to the kids!
AReady
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of AReady
KeithS I listened to the podcast, you have shared so many great ideas there, thank you. Sounds like a fantastic programme you've got going at your school.
KeithS
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of KeithS
Thank you, sir. Yeah, the kids and are having fun.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Vent courses for kids (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL