The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Becoming a professional magician? What books/dvds to get? (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
D.J. Ayur
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of D.J. Ayur
Hello all!

My name is D.J. Ayur and I'm very new to these forums, yet alone magic. I would love to become a full-time professional magician. Down the line, il like to add some mentalism, hypnosis and a sprinkle of psychic entertainment, but that's not for a while from now! Kind of like a Richard Webster if you will. If it helps, I have no knowledge/experience of magic, so I know have a lot to learn. But I'm very motivated to do whatever it takes! I just need some guidance and I'll do the rest!

With that typed, what books/dvds should I buy to get me started? I have ALOT of time on my hands so I would love to get the ball rolling ASAP. Thank you in advanced!

D.J. Ayur
airztonne
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of airztonne
Well, first of all, you need to give a bit more info on yourself. Since you said mentalism is a bit down the road, what do you want to do now? Cards coins ropes or were you asking on the beginner/introductory materials to mentalism?
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1227 Posts

Profile of mlippo
Quote:
On Mar 25, 2014, D.J. Ayur wrote:
Hello all!

[snip]
I would love to become a full-time professional magician.
[snip]
what books/dvds should I buy to get me started? I have ALOT of time on my hands so I would love to get the ball rolling ASAP.

You're kidding, aren't ya?
D.J. Ayur
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of D.J. Ayur
Quote:
On Mar 25, 2014, airztonne wrote:
Well, first of all, you need to give a bit more info on yourself. Since you said mentalism is a bit down the road, what do you want to do now? Cards coins ropes or were you asking on the beginner/introductory materials to mentalism?

I'll be more than happy to share some info on my behalf. To begin my path, I definately want to do magic now. I would like to start off with cards and coins.

I don't want to start off on a bad foot and simply get "stuck" because I'm trying to do too much by learning both magic + mentalism at the same time. I was just stating that sooner or later when I feel comfortable with magic, I would move on to mentalism, buts that for another time.
D.J. Ayur
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of D.J. Ayur
Quote:
On Mar 25, 2014, mlippo wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 25, 2014, D.J. Ayur wrote:
Hello all!

[snip]
I would love to become a full-time professional magician.
[snip]
what books/dvds should I buy to get me started? I have ALOT of time on my hands so I would love to get the ball rolling ASAP.

You're kidding, aren't ya?

I'm sorry, what do you mean?
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
DJ,
Most magicians start as hobbyists, then part-time work, then a few make it to full-time. The journey is measured in years, not weeks or months.

You should explore local magic clubs and shops to get started. There are many references, depending on what path you take. Look at the stickie at the top of this section and you will see many references you should consider. You may also want to subscribe to magic journals - Genie for one. Also, both IBM and SAM membership come with monthly journals.

Hudson
Bulla
View Profile
Special user
Honolulu, HI
674 Posts

Profile of Bulla
For cards you can start off with the Card College Series by Roberto Giobbi or Close Up Card Magic by Harry Lorayne.
D.J. Ayur
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of D.J. Ayur
55Hudson, I'm located in Rhode Island and there happens to be a SAM club so I'll definitly look into that. I'll also look into the other resources you stated so thanks for the tips!

Bulla, will do on the Card College series! Appreciate it!

Thanks a ton guys, means alot! I'll gradully post how my progress comes as times moves on.
Tree
View Profile
Loyal user
Wiggle Wiggle
295 Posts

Profile of Tree
Hi DJ,
Not the shopping store SAM's club.
He means the Society of American Magicians.
http://magicsam.com/

International Brotherhood Magicians
http://www.magician.org/

You should get the Tarbell Books on Magic to start off with, this will give you a good overview on Magic
there is even a pdf version you can get.

and, Welcome to the Café!
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Quote:
On Mar 25, 2014, 55Hudson wrote:
DJ,
Most magicians start as hobbyists, then part-time work, then a few make it to full-time. The journey is measured in years, not weeks or months.

You should explore local magic clubs and shops to get started. There are many references, depending on what path you take. Look at the stickie at the top of this section and you will see many references you should consider. You may also want to subscribe to magic journals - Genie for one. Also, both IBM and SAM membership come with monthly journals.

Hudson

Well said by Hudson....It's a journey and it does take years.... First and foremost you must (IMO) be a likeable people person. People won't care about your magic if they don't like you. I would also explore the history of magic and learn about those who made magic great. Like Vernon, Slydini and even earlier like Robert Houdin http://www.biography.com/people/robert-houdin-9344559
just to name a few..... there are so many facets of magic from close-up to stage, manipulation etc.

Studying sleight of hand techniques such as, naturalness of action, in-transit action, tension/relaxation phases, retention of vision techniques and the list goes on....You must look natural in everything you do.......Not to overwhelm you but like others have stated, find you niche, experiment, get a Michael Ammar DVD. (great place to start)

Once you realize how much you have to practice you might just can the whole idea....Many get excited, few stick with it for the long haul. You got to love it with a passion to succeed.
Enjoy the journey!!!
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
D.J. Ayur
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of D.J. Ayur
Thanks guys! Appreciate the support! I'm excited to get my journey started!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
D.J.>>>
I've been a professional performer since 1945 (The first 20 years as a part time pro'. The rest as full time.

Start off with Tarbell, books if you can afford them. pdf is available, free I believe. (I'm too old to know much about pdf!!!!!

ASAP, buy KENNETH WEBER'S "MAXIMUM ENTERTAINMENT". Ken will be most helpful. Ken is/was a very successful performer.

Don't worry too much about all the "specialty" card and coin books. There's time for them, later. Tarbell will have more than enough to keep you busy for some time. Tarbell will introduce you to PRINCIPLES!!! ("Doc" Tarbell wrote the original course as a "correspondence course" in the late '20s.) It really helped me get started.

You'll be getting lots of advice from people on the Café. Just remember: 'NEMO DAT QUOD NOT HABET' (No one can give what he does not have.) Be sure of the experience, and expertise of the adviser!!!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
D.J. Ayur
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of D.J. Ayur
Quote:
On Mar 26, 2014, Dick Oslund wrote:
D.J.>>>
I've been a professional performer since 1945 (The first 20 years as a part time pro'. The rest as full time.

Start off with Tarbell, books if you can afford them. pdf is available, free I believe. (I'm too old to know much about pdf!!!!!

ASAP, buy KENNETH WEBER'S "MAXIMUM ENTERTAINMENT". Ken will be most helpful. Ken is/was a very successful performer.

Don't worry too much about all the "specialty" card and coin books. There's time for them, later. Tarbell will have more than enough to keep you busy for some time. Tarbell will introduce you to PRINCIPLES!!! ("Doc" Tarbell wrote the original course as a "correspondence course" in the late '20s.) It really helped me get started.

You'll be getting lots of advice from people on the Café. Just remember: 'NEMO DAT QUOD NOT HABET' (No one can give what he does not have.) Be sure of the experience, and expertise of the adviser!!!

You got it Mr. Oslund, thanks for the advice!

I'm coming to a understanding that's there is/will be a lot to learn, but it will naturally come as you move forward with experience in performing and such. Really helpful resources! You guys are gearing me on the right path!
Moncle
View Profile
New user
United Kingdom
41 Posts

Profile of Moncle
I agree with the comments above, "it takes years". My advice is you need to find yourself as a performer first. I joined a couple of societies and got out doing charity events, you don't get paid, but you get something far more valuable and that is experience.

Find a mentor, dead or alive use their material, not mimick them but use the thinking behind their work. I am a big fan of Tommy Wonder (my mentor), lots of good pointers in his books on the "performance of magic".

This art form isn't easy, not easy to do well, don't follow the crowd, find yourself, I have been through this and it does come over time.

Hope this helps.

Good luck fella.

Michael
SDMoore1
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of SDMoore1
Becoming a pro implies being so good at the craft that people are willing to pay to see it. Not meaning to be a wet blanket, but such a thing is less about books purchased than it is about skill honed over time. I've been enjoying the "book" thread found elsewhere in the "new to magic" section. http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=41

I have to admit... The thread got me so charged up, I've just purchased 4 books that will likely contain enough meat to keep me busy for several years, full time. LOL.
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Books and DVDs can teach you tricks. But anyone can do tricks! The real question is: what will set you apart from anyone else who is also doing tricks?

If you don't mind me asking - what inspired you to push everything else aside to work on being a professional magician? Honestly, most pros are not Copperfield or Angel - they are relatively unknown outside their immediate area, and work way more than 40 hours for often less pay and more headaches than most other jobs.

Ed
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
Audience Management by Gay Ljungberg is a terrific book to read from the stand point of performing.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
D.J. Ayur
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of D.J. Ayur
Good advice Moncle, will take note of this!

Mr. Ed Millis,

I just love the joy magic can bring to people. Letting people be entertained and bringing happiness to people is something I love to see for myself in others. I want to inspire people with magic. I feel as I can do this. Growing up, I wasn't a real happy kid. I'm sure most people can relate, but it's no excuse for any of us. So that's what I want to accomplish with magic. Your right Ed; it's not about the tricks, it's about the performance! It's about motivating others to be what they want to be and going to achieve their dreams. that's what I'm going to do.

Thanks for the book motown, I'm going to research it up!
D.J. Ayur
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of D.J. Ayur
SDMoore, I'm glad that thread is getting you geared up, it's the doing the same to me!
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Quote:
I just love the joy magic can bring to people. Letting people be entertained and bringing happiness to people is something I love to see for myself in others. I want to inspire people with magic.

If you can keep this in mind as you slog through the long hours of practice and rehearsal, and the frustrations of performances that just weren't quite ready, then you will reach that place where you can forget what you're doing and lose yourself in the joy of _why_ you're doing it!

Good luck on the journey!
Ed
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Becoming a professional magician? What books/dvds to get? (11 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL