The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Folding Coins (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
boydy
View Profile
Special user
Ayrshire, Scotland
881 Posts

Profile of boydy
I'm looking for a good quality folder. But I had one before and the was center cut. Are there any other types of this coin that you can't see a giant slit round the middle of the coin?

Thanks

Alan
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Get a half or quarter with a "profile" cut like these made by Johnson Precision Magic:

mago.niko
View Profile
Loyal user
Athens, Greece
286 Posts

Profile of mago.niko
Hi boydy!
I have two folding coins. One coin in bottle from Roy Kueppers and one bite coin from Tango. Roy's cuts are much more invisible. But I never had a problem with either coins. The structure of the routines doesn't allow the spectator to see the slits.
I can take a photo of the coins if you want.
Searching for the magic side of life...
boydy
View Profile
Special user
Ayrshire, Scotland
881 Posts

Profile of boydy
Coollllll! Never knew about these.

Thanks

Magoniko,

Can you describe what you mean about invisible?

Regards Alan
CarpetShark
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of CarpetShark
I'm with inigmntoya: get a Johnson folding half. Well made, at a decent price.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Yea If you are Just doing Coin in the Bottle A Johnson Folder Is Fine! They are never going to see it outside the bottle Anyway!
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
AGMagic
View Profile
Special user
Cailf.
775 Posts

Profile of AGMagic
Can someone please recommend what size rubber bands to use with a profile cut Johnson folding Half Dollar? I have Medium-light 5/16ths band but they do not seem to seat correctly. I have tried cleaning the groove and got a fair amount of crud out but there may still be more.
Tim Silver - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-Woodshop/122578214436546

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Visualize Whirled Peas!
AGMagic
View Profile
Special user
Cailf.
775 Posts

Profile of AGMagic
Never mind. I soaked the coin in Lacquer thinner than ran a piece of upholstery thread through the groove and the band seats fine now.
Tim Silver - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-Woodshop/122578214436546

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Visualize Whirled Peas!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I just dig out the old band with an fine tip Exacto Knife blade.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, you can also do ring thru half dollar trick, where the half dollar is placed in the center of a handkerchief, and the corners gathered, and a borrowed finger ring is threaded onto the hank, then drawn down to the captured coin. Put your hand around it and extract the ring. A real puzzler.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

All folding coins will eventually show some wear at the seams, but I don't think you will live long enough for that to happen. After all it is folding coin. It mainly has to do with how much you respect your props.

As far as the band groove, if it really bother you, and you are not a good enough performer to know switches and ways to cover problem spectators, then one professional, I think it was Scotty York, suggested working bar soap into the grove. Would imagine the harder Bee's wax or wax from the hardware store would work as well. The Bee's wax would match in color better. Of course, you would have to dig it out when replacing the band, a lot of time wasted in my opinion.

They use to actually have a real rubber band for these coins, but then they switched to this dental band. They only last 2 or 3 uses and have to be replaced. Some famous magician's recommend two bands, but I found that is 2 tight. The additional purpose of two bands was if one weakens or breaks, the other will keep it together.

If you think, that your spectators will see what you see, then don't buy any gaffed coin tricks. You will telegraph to them that you are using gimmick coins. And this will encourage them to question the props.

Learn some good coin switches and practice them until you are confident in your handling.

What is meant by invisible, you walk into a large room, and off to the side there is one piece of dust on the white carpet, if you are the type that can notice that piece of dust, then magic is not for you, because the other hundred people will not even know what you are talking about.

Most all handling of coins, they are shown as the spectator looks at the face or tail of the coin, the edge is only a shadow. No one looks at the edge of coin, they see it is a real half dollar. Why would they have to look any further.

And, very true, if doing the coin in bottle, they only look from the side and down through the neck. You never hand them the bottle without proper instructions. They see a real half dollar and handle it, you perform your miracle, they see a real half dollar in a bottle. You shake the bottle over their hands and a real half dollar lands in their hands. What is to question?
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1604 Posts

Profile of Ihop
Boydy,
To answer your question, Roy Kueppers makes a nice folding coin with a profile cut.
Ihor
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Does anyone know what size or strength of band to use? It appears to be a 1/4 band but is it a 3 oz, 5 oz or 6.5 oz resistance.
I got whole bag of folding coins with broken bands. I ends up with 14 coins. That is a lot of pieces to put together.
Thanks.
Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
There's no one answer. The tension a given band size gives depends on the size of the coin (half, quarter, etc) and how deep the groove is, etc. They're cheap, but a few different sizes and experiment.

Quote:
On Jul 25, 2021, hugmagic wrote:
Does anyone know what size or strength of band to use? It appears to be a 1/4 band but is it a 3 oz, 5 oz or 6.5 oz resistance.
I got whole bag of folding coins with broken bands. I ends up with 14 coins. That is a lot of pieces to put together.
Thanks.
Richard
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1409 Posts

Profile of Jerry
Some one suggested using the stretching thread for craft bead bracelet.

.3mm or .6mm
I forget which. I am searching for the spool I purchase at Walmart for a couple of bucks.
Life time supply I sure!

That's what I use. Say go bye to dry rot.

Dental bands do not last at all and end up causing a lot of work.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
I use 0.5mm Stretch Magic on folders and flippers.

I haven't updated this in a while but the info is still good:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/29h2osli3ju3t......CX8xDXra

Quote:
On Sep 2, 2021, Jerry wrote:
Some one suggested using the stretching thread for craft bead bracelet.

.3mm or .6mm
I forget which. I am searching for the spool I purchase at Walmart for a couple of bucks.
Life time supply I sure!

That's what I use. Say go bye to dry rot.

Dental bands do not last at all and end up causing a lot of work.
Magicjg
View Profile
Elite user
477 Posts

Profile of Magicjg
I'm starting to play with my old folding coin again. I'm learning quickly I never understand how to properly use this. I've cleaned the grooves and seem to still be having slipping. I can fold the coin Into a package 2-3 times then the rubber band rolls out of the groove. Do you have any suggestions on how to fix this?
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Make sure the grooves are really cleaned out. Pour enough Goof Off to cover the coin in a small glass and cover it tightly with plastic wrap (to avoid evaporation). Leave it overnight... Any old crusted stuff in the groove should dissolve and come out almost by itself.
Also make sure you're using the right size bands.

Quote:
On Dec 6, 2022, Magicjg wrote:
I'm starting to play with my old folding coin again. I'm learning quickly I never understand how to properly use this. I've cleaned the grooves and seem to still be having slipping. I can fold the coin Into a package 2-3 times then the rubber band rolls out of the groove. Do you have any suggestions on how to fix this?
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
My fence has 20,
3226 Posts

Profile of magicmind
Quote:
On Dec 6, 2022, inigmntoya wrote:
Make sure the grooves are really cleaned out. Pour enough Goof Off to cover the coin in a small glass and cover it tightly with plastic wrap (to avoid evaporation). Leave it overnight... Any old crusted stuff in the groove should dissolve and come out almost by itself.
Also make sure you're using the right size bands.

Quote:
On Dec 6, 2022, Magicjg wrote:

Excellent advice !!
Smile
spudster85
View Profile
Regular user
Northern Kentucky
112 Posts

Profile of spudster85
I spent all day cleaning a groove out, today. I had not used it in a while and the actual rubber band (not latex based) had disintegrated. It left a crud that just did not want to come out. I used a needle that perfectly fit the groove and just kept scratching at it. Finally got it all out. Put the new band in, and works perfectly now.

I like the idea of furniture thread. I'll have to try that if this ever happens again!

I believe my coin is a Johnson. The profile cut really does hide the splits.
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
747 Posts

Profile of karnak
I’m new to folding coins (and in another thread I asked about what sort or shape of bottle might be optimal for doing the coin-into-bottle routine).

Here, I’d just like to ask, which is better (or which do you prefer): actually and visibly tapping a real coin against the outside of the bottle, and then palming it (in that same hand) when seeming to drive it through the glass and into the bottle?

Or showing a real coin but then ditching it, and then only pretending to tap it against the outside of the bottle, so that when it seems to go inside the bottle, that hand can instantly be shown empty?

Are both ways equally common, or is one way generally preferred over the other?
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
spudster85
View Profile
Regular user
Northern Kentucky
112 Posts

Profile of spudster85
Quote:
On Mar 26, 2023, karnak wrote:
I’m new to folding coins (and in another thread I asked about what sort or shape of bottle might be optimal for doing the coin-into-bottle routine).

Here, I’d just like to ask, which is better (or which do you prefer): actually and visibly tapping a real coin against the outside of the bottle, and then palming it (in that same hand) when seeming to drive it through the glass and into the bottle?

Or showing a real coin but then ditching it, and then only pretending to tap it against the outside of the bottle, so that when it seems to go inside the bottle, that hand can instantly be shown empty?

Are both ways equally common, or is one way generally preferred over the other?

I've done variations of both. Usually, when I keep the coin and actually tap the bottle, once the penetration happens, spectators immediately look to see if there is another coin.

If I ditch the real coin before the penetration, I use my ring to tap the bottle. The sound gives a realism of a coin tapping. However, depending on the angle of the performance, this may not be practical at all.

So, I try to go with a real coin, perform the penetration, and then get the bottle close to the spectators immediately for them to see that magic has just happened. Then I ditch the real coin. For this reason, to answer your question from the other post, I prefer a green glass bottle. It makes it more difficult to see the groove of the coin.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Folding Coins (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL