The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Interesting facts about a shuffled deck... (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sdmagic
View Profile
Special user
686 Posts

Profile of sdmagic
magicthree
View Profile
Special user
534 Posts

Profile of magicthree
Very interesting. Good to use in an ACAAN patter.
Leo Reynolds Jr
View Profile
Special user
857 Posts

Profile of Leo Reynolds Jr
That is so cool!
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5179 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Ive darn near shuffled the pips off a deck before but don't believe I will ever get all those combos. Smile
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
doriancaudal
View Profile
Inner circle
1533 Posts

Profile of doriancaudal
Quote:
On Mar 28, 2014, magicthree wrote:
Very interesting. Good to use in an ACAAN patter.

Indeed, it's what I do here for my upcoming release, MirACAAN Smile http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kboELFjTyr4
Hands-off ACAAN - freely chosen card and number : http://doriancaudal.wix.com/miracaan
QuailCreek
View Profile
Veteran user
McKenna, WA
387 Posts

Profile of QuailCreek
I agree with magicthree. Great info to use as patter.
Regards,
Silverthorne
magicwatcher2005
View Profile
Elite user
Washington state
446 Posts

Profile of magicwatcher2005
The "Approximately 8 followed by 67 zeros" number is impressive, but in my experience it's just too big a number to leave a lasting impression on an audience. I know that seems odd, but the concept of "52 factorial" simply escapes all but the math geeks. On the other hand, I do a routine that has a spectator mix 10 cards, and I use similar patter:

"Does anyone know many different combinations can you get when you shuffle just ten cards? Anyone? Ten times ten equals a hundred, so maybe that many? Well you may find this hard to believe, but the correct answer is up there in the MILLIONS! You see the formula to calculate all the possible arrangements of ten cards is 10x9x8x7x6x5x4x3x2x1, and that total is over 3 1/2 million unique combinations. Try it the next time you've got a calculator handy - 10x9x8x7x6x5x4x3x2x1. And what THAT means is that if Mike here started shuffling those cards when he was 20 years old he wouldn't have covered every possible combination until well after his 30th birthday. So keep shuffling, Mike..." (I usually adjust the start and finish ages to suit the person shuffling)

The last sentence always gets a laugh, whereas the "8 followed by 67 zeros" never leads to one. So if I ever wanted to use that patter line with a full deck I would still use just ten cards as an example, and then insert, "So just imagine how many possible combinations there are with a full deck!", followed by the "... keep shuffling, Mike." line. A lay audience can grasp 3 1/2 million and be impressed, but the 52 factorial result is just too much to envision and - oddly - does not get as good a reaction.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Interesting facts about a shuffled deck... (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL