The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Mystery Box (New Version) by John Kennedy (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
mikenewman
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland, home of the TAXED
1082 Posts

Profile of mikenewman
I highly reccomend contacting John. He's extremley friendly and will answer any questions/comments you may have.

If you want to be able to change out the gimmick, then you need to get this new one. You can use bills, paper, magazines, cards of your choice, etc. Just like the Clarity Box.
If you are happy with a red or a blue (you decide and buy), then the old one.

As far as the looks, again it is a personal taste.

I truly believe that any audience will be entertained with either one of these, no matter what you think of the prop. You don't entertain yourself.. well, you do because it's fun to perform, but you know what I mean.

Some have mentioned the Kohler's Lighting Box. Is that a "normal" item to be doing magic with?? NO. But, YOU make the magic entertaining, and then YES, it is magical and VERY Entertaining! The Lightning Box is exceptional, and works great in the right hands. As does the Mystery box, past, present and future...
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1275 Posts

Profile of Jared
I agree with inigmntoya...It wouldn't be too bad if it was all black and no botton. I hope that John coniders making this change.

Jared
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
3586 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
A couple thoughts on the new mystery box:

1. If you don't like the two tone, just blacken the light colored part.

and

2. I think you can give it a totally different look by drawing a "?" on the front hexagon shape.

This second idea adds a whole new dimension to the mystery box.

I think this prop could be put to good use.

KJ
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1739 Posts

Profile of wally
Can you hand out the new one for examination.
mikenewman
View Profile
Inner circle
1082 Posts

Profile of mikenewman
Yes. Just like the older version.
MagicDamo
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of MagicDamo
I think the improvements made to this version is most welcomed and I would definitely have bought this if it was made in wood or similar natural looking material. This looks more like a Tenyo item, nothing wrong with Tenyo by the way I love the stuff but it's not the style I would perform professionally with. I am just hoping that John brings out a wooden version of this.
Robmonster
View Profile
Elite user
455 Posts

Profile of Robmonster
I've never used a Kennedy box, but have always been interested in the,. Can you add some other items into the box, so they can be seen inside with the folded card and they fall out with it? I'm thinking of small coins, or ticket stubs... that kind of thing.

R
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2339 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
There was no need to expose the previous gimmick..
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
http://www.facebook.com/Doug.Lippert
mikenewman
View Profile
Inner circle
1082 Posts

Profile of mikenewman
Quote:
On Apr 23, 2014, Robmonster wrote:
I've never used a Kennedy box, but have always been interested in the,. Can you add some other items into the box, so they can be seen inside with the folded card and they fall out with it? I'm thinking of small coins, or ticket stubs... that kind of thing.

R

Yes you can.
I like to have a coin or ring in mine. And I have a rubber band around it too. No need for rubber band, but I just like it.

I like the sound of the coin. I shake it; saying there is a prize inside for after a card trick I'm doing.

I then dump out the coin/ring along w their card.

I got this idea from Barry Taylor; an excellent magician in MD.
bob44leo
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of bob44leo
I purchased the new Mystery Box, never had the old one, and love it. As someone said great for close up and walk around effect because it's small and instant reset. I have the Clarity Box but use it for platform performance. Have no issue with the look and it can most definitely be examined although usually not an issue. Also love the routine provided since you don't need to do a Mercury ---- ----!
AdamChance
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of AdamChance
Has anyone tried spray painting their box? maybe a black mat type would look good.

i love my wood one... but it would be cool to be able to have things other than cards in there... you could probably do some awesome mentalism stuff with folded pieces of paper maybe with a question mark drawn on them.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I used the first version for a long time. When they looked inside, they would say it looks like a piece of a card. The second version looked a bit better, but still didn't look like a FOLDED card. I now use the Lightning Box and LOVE it. It looks like a folded card, because it IS a folded card. It's part of a larger routine, which holds props from a previous trick.
dlcmagic
View Profile
Special user
887 Posts

Profile of dlcmagic
I've had a few mystery boxes. An original and a couple of the version 2 with the 3D effect.
A months ago I purchased his new version. When I first saw it I thought as many do. I didn't like
the look of it. It's plastic, looks like a Tenyo prop. But I gave it a chance and took it to a strolling
gig to really test it. As it turns out no one questioned it at all. It still got great reactions.
I like the fact that you can customize it. Use any color card you want or use it for a bill.
I still prefer the wooden look but the true test is on the gig.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Quote:
On May 1, 2014, pepka wrote:
I used the first version for a long time. When they looked inside, they would say it looks like a piece of a card. The second version looked a bit better, but still didn't look like a FOLDED card. I now use the Lightning Box and LOVE it. It looks like a folded card, because it IS a folded card. It's part of a larger routine, which holds props from a previous trick.

Whereas the Tommy Wonder box looks exactly like it contains a folded card, because that is exactly what it does contain.

Nobody has ever questioned that box when I've used it; then again, the box is put away at a very specific point, which was meticulously explained by TW many years ago.

I wonder why so many look for more elaborate solutions.
Kbuck54
View Profile
Veteran user
344 Posts

Profile of Kbuck54
I will stick with my Mystery Box II, My card looks exactly like a folded card. Love the wood look, The new one does look like it came in a cheap magic set. The price is a bit high for a peice of plastic, presisian or not.
JMTC
Keith
SHAZAM!
yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
784 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
Anybody actually repainted/changed the look of the box?
"Talent without passion is talent wasted.."
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1739 Posts

Profile of wally
Mystery box 2 or the new one, mmmmmmm which one shall I buy,
colin underwood
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of colin underwood
I had a good look at the Wooden version owned by a friend last night and prefer that one ,I showed the pics of the new box to fellow magicians at meeting last night. Response was it looked cheap n Tanyo type quality.
I am wondering what the hex nut design is for? Because that really doesn't make sense. I have wondered if spraying the box all black would work or the grey parts to yellow and call it the smallest aeroplane Black box. ( making it topical). I have clarity box and if that was smaller would use that. I have just ordered the Wayne Dobson 360 box and hope it brings compactness to this whole debate while being examinable as well.
Tommy Wonder box I use at present and really wonder why I am looking at all these other options. When you open it , you can see a genuine card and because of the lid arangement closing on the gimmick , this makes a very good convincer. Placing the box away while the spectator looks at his signiature deals with the non examinable aspect.
Seems the wheel is going round and round on this debate.
JackMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1820 Posts

Profile of JackMagic
Quote:
On May 4, 2014, Kbuck54 wrote:
I will stick with my Mystery Box II, My card looks exactly like a folded card. Love the wood look, The new one does look like it came in a cheap magic set. The price is a bit high for a peice of plastic, presisian or not.
JMTC
Keith

Have to agree No Need to re invent the wheel when this works Fine

The Obsession of Magicians that you have to have everything examined is rubish , You show a wooden box with a card in , you tip it out and the card is now in your hand

The Box is empty !

What's to Examine !
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
3822 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Despite my earlier comments, I got bored and ordered the new version because I wanted to be able to update with Phoenix backs. Boy is it ugly and it feels cheap. I showed my wife and her immediate reaction was "what the heck is that?" I told her it was my new Mystery Box and she immediately responded, "that's hideous. You're not using that." It works great. So this is purely an aesthetics issue. I'm fine with it being made of plastic but I'm surprised/disappointed at the color/design choice.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Mystery Box (New Version) by John Kennedy (8 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL