The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Mystery Box (New Version) by John Kennedy (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1739 Posts

Profile of wally
Can you still buy the Mystery Box II, this seems to be the best.
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5649 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On Mar 29, 2014, twistedace wrote:

Man am I glad I have my wooden box. This looks awful.

Quote:
On Mar 29, 2014, John Kennedy wrote:

I've read this thread and decided that I should "explain myself."

* The biggest request has always been a "replaceable gimmick" so that users could choose their own brand of playing card, money, etc.

* The problem I always had was the precision of the gimmick (hundredths of an inch instead of thousandths). This is largely due to wood, which constantly "moves" and has limited precision.

* I decided to try an injected box so I could achieve greater precision.

* After multiple designs, I really liked the modern pagoda look in a two tone black and gray.

* I understand the charm of wood and I anticipated negative feedback from some.

I see that precession in terms of tolerance value was of greater importance than the aesthetic look of wood and thus made you opt for the box to be made in ABS plastic.

Both, the wooden look as well as the fine tolerance, could have easily achieved in ABS plastic as well.

Also, when we talk of a Pagoda design, IMHO the lid of the box (which plays no significant part in achieving the effect) could have been designed in the shape of a Pagoda roof thus giving the box a much better aesthetic and ancient look.

Just my thoughts.

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET, there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
kris attard
View Profile
Elite user
Malta
431 Posts

Profile of kris attard
So is the original Mystery Box the item that is listed on john Kennedy's site as Exotic Wood Mystery Box?
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2020 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On Oct 27, 2014, kris attard wrote:
So is the original Mystery Box the item that is listed on john Kennedy's site as Exotic Wood Mystery Box?

Sort of. The originals weren't made of "exotic wood" and were correspondingly less expensive - about the same price as the current "new" model.
AdamChance
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of AdamChance
It looks like it's not too hard to make plastic look like wood.

Check out this YouTube tutorial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4I1SHJSveU

I only have the original Mystery Box and I would like to upgrade to this new version or possibly to David Penn's new Mystery Solved. Both boxes allow you to use any style of card, billets, paper money, etc. which I think is a huge advantage over the original Mystery Boxes. But it seems like the new Mystery Solved Box could have some limitations that the Kennedy Mystery Boxes don't have. So if we can make the new plastic Mystery Box version look like wood, that might end up working better than the new Mystery Solved. Just gotta wait for some reviews of Mystery Solved to see how the two products compare.

If anyone who owns this new plastic version wants to give the wood painting a try, I would love to see how it turns out and how difficult the process is.
rmendez
View Profile
Inner circle
San Antonio, Texas
1321 Posts

Profile of rmendez
I have always wanted a Money Mystery Box with a real bill. I have since purchased Clarity Box by David Regal for parlor settings and Mystery Solved by David Penn and the new Mystery Box by John Kennedy for intimate close-up settings. They have all made wonderfully welcomed new additions to my professional performing repertoire.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4644 Posts

Profile of videoman
Although admittedly expensive, my favorite box is now the Miracle Prediction Chest, a simply beautiful box and I just love that the lid hinges and it locks.
Dannicus
View Profile
Special user
San Diego Ca.
616 Posts

Profile of Dannicus
All the items being discussed on this thread are excellent. The Miracle Prediction Chest is made of red oak, is very small, has an integrated lock like a tiny jewlery box, and can be changed in a matter of seconds to money, a billet, a playing card, or whatever. It is completely examinable in its locked state before the effect and in its lid opened state after the effect. I hope this helps answer some questions.
Owner of Handcrafted Miracles, San Diego
www.handcraftedmiracles.com

See our items and like us on Facebook at
www.facebook.com/handcraftedmiracles
rmendez
View Profile
Inner circle
San Antonio, Texas
1321 Posts

Profile of rmendez
Where can this be purchased? Thank you.
rmendez
View Profile
Inner circle
San Antonio, Texas
1321 Posts

Profile of rmendez
I just purchased a Miracle Prediction Chest and am eagerly anticipating it's arrival. Clarity Box, Mystery Solved, and Kennedy Box are also wonderful items made to be performed with in the real world of which I have had wonderful success with.
rmendez
View Profile
Inner circle
San Antonio, Texas
1321 Posts

Profile of rmendez
I just received this marvelous little wonder and wanted to share my enchantment and satisfaction with the rest of the magic community. These are lovingly and meticulously hand crafted in a variety of exotic woods and the finest materials available by a master craftsman and magician with many decades of experience. The diabolical method is unlike anything I have ever seen and will absolutely fool everyone. A card, dollar bill, or prediction appears three dimensional from all angles because it is. This is the only box I have ever seen with an embedded lock and ornate key that can be locked and given to a spectator to hold or put into their pocket. Although I love the transparent boxes on the market, they provide a different type of an illusion - a transposition of two bills clearly shown before the commence of the effect. The illusion provided by this opaque masterpiece adds mystery and wonder as the contents of the box are not revealed until the conclusion of the effect. In my humble yet professional opinion, this makes all other offerings on the open market look like magic props/toys in comparison. This is classy enough to be reserved for the most formal and intimate of settings yet functional enough to be performed in any real world setting. There are a number of different products that achieve the same results but none quite like this one nor in the same class or league in terms of quality as far as I am concerned. This was clearly made by a passionate professional for professionals. A real pleasure to own and perform with and comes highly recommended.

This was an unbiased review as I am a professional performer and in no way affiliated with the creator.
yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
784 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
Has anyone who has the new Kennedy Box and have made it to look like wood? maybe using spray paint or stickers?
"Talent without passion is talent wasted.."
Randy Marsh
View Profile
New user
46 Posts

Profile of Randy Marsh
So I was just thinking about this wonderful little box, and I wanted to share some of my thoughts with everyone.

I have been using this primarily as my finale to my ambitious card routine. It goes over very well every time. I'm normally pretty good with my mercury card folds, but it's not a move I love doing. I was just thinking that it's not necessary for the card to go into the box immediately. I've got all the time in the world.

When you begin your set, start by putting the box next to a spectator and covering it with a glass or transparent plastic box, or whatever. Tell the spectator to watch the box and make sure not to let anyone near it. Then tell the spectator that you'll show them at the end what is in the box. So before you start any tricks, just say "Let's put this box over here and don't let me forget to show you what is inside at the end". Then you do your ambitious card routine first. Then proceed with other tricks. Then just find some time later in your set to do a perfect fold of their card. If there's a trick where you turn around for a few moments while the spectators are making a selection or something like that, you can use that opportunity to fold their signed card.

I think that breaking up an effect like this is good. Especially since a card to wallet ending for an ACR is also very powerful (this allows you to do both without overshadowing the card to wallet). But the main reason why this is good is that it frames your set well. You start with a trick where they sign a card, and you're ending your set by revealing their signed card in the box. You also told them in advance that you were showing them what was in the box at the end, so they know that's the end of the performance. If you work restaurants, I would imagine that you always want to finish off strong, which isn't always possible if you're in the middle of a trick and the food comes. So whenever you're ready to stop doing magic, you just reveal their signed card in the box, and you're outta there.

I think effects where you can get a time delay thing going on is worth doing. It gives them a lot more to think about when you walk away.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4644 Posts

Profile of videoman
When the last couple of posts refer to a "wonderful little box", you're both talking about the Miracle Predction Chest, correct?
Kind of confusing since this thread is about a different box.
rmendez
View Profile
Inner circle
San Antonio, Texas
1321 Posts

Profile of rmendez
I own the new John Kennedy Mystery Box II and am interested in replacing the photocopied bill or card from the exotic wood model. Has anyone managed to do that successfully?
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3257 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Feb 19, 2017, rmendez wrote:
I own the new John Kennedy Mystery Box II and am interested in replacing the photocopied bill or card from the exotic wood model. Has anyone managed to do that successfully?

This is when The Destination Box or something similar is far superior as you can have virtually any small item appear in the box and even allow the spectator to remove it themselves.

It's worth looking into if you have no joy Smile
glennn
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of glennn
I'll add my name to those who prefer the original Mystery Box. While both great props, I prefer the look of the original version, for my tastes.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Mystery Box (New Version) by John Kennedy (8 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL