The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Al Schneider's One Cup and Three Balls routine (26 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1009 Posts

Profile of Quentin
A cup and Balls routine from Al Schneider.

It is elegant, simple, direct and lasts about one minute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvE0gTou......embedded
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2004 Posts

Profile of puggo
Thanks Quentin

Very nice.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3456 Posts

Profile of Julie
Al Schneider = superb performer and I honestly believe this is one of his best routines (right up there with Matrix)!

Julie
fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of fortasse
What can I say? Brilliant, simply brilliant!

Fortasse Smile
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27136 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I'll defer opinion on the clarity and deceptiveness of the routine till I show some laymen the clip and ask them if they believe the item looks magical and whether they believe it could be done live at the lunchroom table.

The first load looks familiar. From harry lorayne's apocalypse.

Okay lets see how things go.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Al Schneider
View Profile
V.I.P.
A corn field in WI surrounded by
1080 Posts

Profile of Al Schneider
Jonathan, you miss the entire point of this routine.
You really don't get it.
The point of this routine is to demonstrate that very old and standard moves are effective.
There is nothing new here.
What is new about loading a ball under a cup?
What is new about a false transfer?
I used Rubenstein's twist lap move.
The load is just a load.
Twenty years ago someone wrote me and told me that bit by the edge was used by some guy in LA.
There is nothing new here.
This stuff is in every cup and ball book since the beginning of cup and ball time.
The point is that with correct body language and technique the old stuff looks great.
But no. Everyone wants some fancy sleight that takes us out of the box.
This is not art, it is technology. I can write down every little motion in that sequence and explain its purpose and reason.
The initial motivation for doing the routine was to do three false transfers in a row without a wand and without justification.
Is it a put or a take? I don't care.
The primary goal of the routine was to show the power of the glance at the point of executing a move.
And please have some REAL people watch it.
Maybe some real people can tell you what is happening.
As I think abut it, I think you are really fooled and you yourself do not realize it.
I am considering offering the routine to Genii. Haven't spoken to them about it yet.
The routine is presently in a book titled, The Theory and Practice of False Transfers. Its on amazon dot com.

Al Schneider
Magic Al. Say it fast and it is magical.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27136 Posts

Quote:
On Mar 30, 2014, Al Schneider wrote:
Jonathan, you miss the entire point of this routine.
You really don't get it....
Al Schneider

Most people do better when they start a dialog with another person by at least stating that the other person's perspective and their points of interest are valid.

Your video is what it is. I'll reserve judgment as to the routine's effectiveness to the opinions of laymen - elicited in a productive or neutral frame so's not to taint their expression of opinion.

Every sleight in a routine is someone's hard work. If you're okay with a shrug and "nothing new" when it comes to citing your work in publication - so be it.

I happen to like that first load sleight.

As to what you imagine your point is, what anyone else would imagine you thought your point (or objective was) is or even whether there is any singular unambiguous verifiable point ... that's part of your model.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27136 Posts

Update - first normal person reaction - each vanish/appearance worked. All of them. Smile
I set back and watched them respond to what they saw fullscreen.
more as it happens.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Excellent.
MikeDes
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal
1177 Posts

Profile of MikeDes
Debate aside ... I liked it!
Jeff Haas
View Profile
Special user
913 Posts

Profile of Jeff Haas
Wow, that looks great. I've always liked Al's work - I bought a copy of "Al Schneider on Closeup" when it was first published and it was very influential in my sleight of hand.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I'm in my office, watched it 3 times. Glad I'm alone because I dropped several F bombs. EXCELLENT Al!
Al Schneider
View Profile
V.I.P.
1080 Posts

Profile of Al Schneider
Ladies and Gentlemen

Thank you very much. Perhaps you would like to know the history of this little routine. There was a discussion one day in this forum about false transfers. Some voiced the idea that false transfers do not really fool the laymen. I suggested that if the move is done with the right attitude and body language, the move works really well. Many believe that vanishes with Retention of Vision are superior. I believe they are not. The false transfer should be invisible to the audience and should be presented so the audience is aware of a transfer subliminally, so to speak. My words did not carry a lot of weight. So, I decided to make a demo of what I meant. One of the things I strongly believe in is the power of glancing at the audience at the moment of deception. I set out to do three false transfers in a row and blantly use the glance to show this technology. I could have used coins but I chose to use a cup routine thinking 3D objects would be more visible. So, I set up the sequence with three vanishes. I planned to put the routine on Youtube as a vehicle for presentation. As it would be viewed by the public, I thought it should have a conclusion so the kids will not post stupid comments about you did this and you did that. I decided to produce the large ball as is customary. However, I thought I would add a kick to it and suggest to the audience that instead of making the balls go to the cup one at a time, I would cause all to disappear and suggest they would appear under the cup. Curiously, when things disappear, the focus of the audience becomes stronger. Here, however, it worked in my favor because when the balls disappear, the audience believes they will be under the cup. Then they do not see the three but a large ball. I didn't know how to make all three disappear so I was forced to use Dr. Rubenstein's twist move. This took about an hour to work out. I set the camera up and took about 10 takes and took the one that sort of worked. There are still errors in the routine. During performance I had to move the balls a bit to clarify what I was doing. Anyway, it made my point about using body language in false transfers.

I presented that routine to make the point about false transfers in that other thread. Subsequently, several had to disect and analyze the routine explaining to the members here what it was all about. I did not welcome that. I just wanted to stress the importance of looking at the audience at the moment of transfer. From my perspective I have a large body of magic deceptive technology and I used elements of that to make a point in this little routine. It was never intended as a perforance piece just a simple demonstration of technology. To me, this has gotten way out of hand.

However, I am very glad to those that have made these very nice comments. The comments continue to make my day. And thank you Quentin for posting it.

All the best.

Al Schneider
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1860 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Looking at the audience while performing a false transfer is misdirection. John Carney has stated that every move should be accompanied by misdirection wherever possible. It's excellent advice.
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1860 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
I might add that that sort of misdirection works better in person than on video. That being said, the third transfer passed me by before I realized what had happened.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27136 Posts

Quote:
On Mar 31, 2014, Ray Haining wrote:
I might add that that sort of misdirection works better in person than on video. That being said, the third transfer passed me by before I realized what had happened.

Interesting Ray - do you do the Rezvanni or Benson type bowl routine? I like the idea behind narrowing the distance and time in the method so Al can get a clean display of both hands after the vanishes. Interesting way to cut the Gordian Knot others live with when getting one ahead. Agreed about the attention management.

@Al, it works out as easier if you keep audience focus up at eye level most of the time so the audience does not get trained to go checking your hands and catch awkward moments in routine. Sleights that offer a "burn" seem okay as long as they are seen in peripheral vision and there are not too many tells to shift attention to the wrong hand. Doing an Ed Norton type wind up before a seemingly mundane action looks odd so maybe it's best to shift audience attention out of the way by looking at them and saying something other than "stare at my hands more" Smile

Smile
TStone
View Profile
V.I.P.
Stockholm, Sweden
777 Posts

Profile of TStone
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2014, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
@Al, it works out as easier if you keep audience focus up at eye level most of the time so the audience does not get trained to go checking your hands and catch awkward moments in routine. Sleights that offer a "burn" seem okay as long as they are seen in peripheral vision and there are not too many tells to shift attention to the wrong hand.

I'm not sure I agree.
It is the shift of focus, the saccade of the eye, that is important. When that is timed correctly, the false transfer becomes fool proof.
Since movement attracts attention, and since the peripheral vision is better at catching movements than a direct gaze, it would generate a shift of focus that is the very opposite of what one would want, if the gaze already is at the face when the false transfer is initiated.
It is done right in the video clip.
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1860 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Jonathan, I've never done the bowl routine (yet), just chop cup (Don Alan) and cups and balls (Vernon).

There's a certain buildup in doing the same vanish three times in a row. As the spectators are fooled each time, their attention actually seems to relax, rather than increase, as one would expect. This happened to me as I watched the video. By the time the third pass was executed, it went right by me before I realized it had taken place. Also the perfection and precision of each pass is crucial to producing the effect of vanishing balls, each one more puzzling than the last, yet using the same method each time.
Al Schneider
View Profile
V.I.P.
1080 Posts

Profile of Al Schneider
Jonathan
I do not desire dialogue nor do I value your input. It is condesending and full of innuendo. You have an incesant desire to drop names and names of techniques of which I do not believe you understand. You also refer to other texts to demonstrate your intelligence or lack thereof. I once attempted to look up your references. On the one I searched thre was nothing relative to what you said. For 25887 posts and lots of babble I have seen little action of you doing anything other than destroying the threads you visit. Please produce a video of you demonstrating the techniques you speak of. How about just showing a video of you doing a french drop. Then have your friends evaluate it and report back to us. You have subtlety accused me of doing a routine that could not be done in, what you call, "live at the lunchroom table." I am insulted by that. THen you claim the position of testing what I did. How very condesending. You really don't get it. Curiously, when I was in New York having lunch with the guys, your name came up. You were discussed for about a half hour. The discussion was about your incessent lack of abiiity to see reality and live in some kind of made up world. In your last post you had to refer to three names just to express your brilliance. How dare you give me advice on such a smooth and well developed routine. You do not offer intelligent interaction but a poor plea to be recognized. Your efforts help noone but tend to end threads. You are a troll.

I apoligize to the good people of this thread but this guy has haunted me for ten years. I have left the forum because of his behavior just so I can avoid his ignorant babble.

Al Schneider
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27136 Posts

Al, For someone who does not wish to engage in dialog you sure write a lot, in public, in a way that's directed to the other person and their feelings.

What you claim are my sentiments, knowledge etc are something in your imagined world. I like to think better and kinder things about other people and their their worlds.

I hope folks follow your example in using eye contact during a sleight to make their false transfers more effective.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Al Schneider's One Cup and Three Balls routine (26 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL