The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Repair help needed (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magicjosh1725
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of Magicjosh1725
I am having trouble with 2 of my props. first is my cig thru quarter the band broke and I can't get a new one in it. Second I have a dime and penny and there stuck together but the dime is inside out I've shook the day lights out of it and it won't come apart. anyone HELP !!!
Smile
OLD TIMER
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of OLD TIMER
Cig.thru quarter you I think you need to clean out the grove with a needle before trying to install the rubber band. Penny to dime you can purchase a penny bang ring to seperate the coin.
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Put the coin in a glass and shake it a few times, if that doesn't work you may have to purchase a new one.
As far as the quarter goes, when did they start using rubber bands? The one that I used to have had a metal spring.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
A Bang Ring should help the penny/dime.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
themagician64
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of themagician64
Johnson products still makes the best with the real spring. The rubber band ones are sort of cheaper knock
offs. Spend the $25.00 and get a Johnson availabe at some of the better magic shops!
may the Greats Live On!
Magix
View Profile
Elite user
432 Posts

Profile of Magix
I had the same problem with dime and penny. I used a needle to very carefully pry the two pieces apart.
Brian D
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of Brian D
Although I've never used one,I believe the cig thru with the rubber band allows you to show both sides of the quarter.I have only used the Johnson version switched for a borrowed quarter so I've never had to worry about showing both sides. Smile
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
The Cigarette Through Quarter that you have needs to be pried apart. There is a small slot for a jeweler's screwdriver where the two pieces meet. Pop it open and clean the groove all the way around the inside. Use crazy glue gel on the small piece and only a tiny bit. (You can do this over and over if you don't use too much) Be very careful to make the hole side line up perfectly. I own both types but use this one. The bands will last twice as long if you pull your fingers through saran wrap and make 'skins' on the fingers that touch it. Your finger oils and dirt kill the bands quick. Double banding can save you if one breaks in front of specs but it will behave different with the extra force.

Get a bang ring for the penny and dime. It will last longer than a dozen sets of the coins
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20517 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
The cigarette through quarter is a very good trick that also works with rolled up dollar bills and pencils. I have one with a spring and three with rubber bands. (And the close up guys think that I only do stage magic!)

Frankly, the only time I like the metal spring model best is when I have to replace bands. Given a choice I would only own the rubber band models. To replace the band, the smaller side of the coin will have to be broken loose. A dental tool works best. Then the groove needs to be cleaned as if for surgery. Replace the band on the whole side and make sure it is working before it is glued back into place. I use rubber cement because it makes it easier to replace next time. If it comes loose, it will stick back from just pressure.

Enjoy!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Repair help needed (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL