The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Some advice on Fund Raising magic books! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
themagician64
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of themagician64
Hi Folks,

I have had a slump in doing entertainment magic shows this year. The worst in my 25-year career. The local fairs have been hit by cutbacks and terrible weather. Businesses are cutting back due to economy woes, and folks are not spending for birthday parties due to layoffs! (I live in West Virginia U.S.). I have been to every marketing site on the net for ideas. The Dean etc.

Fund raising magic seems the way to go for me. I still get to have fun doing the magic I like to do (entertainment) and at the same time there is a need for fund raising in the state. I am actually being asked to do more of these to help me out and the organization. I believe the choice is between two.... Stan Kramien's "Show Me The Money" or John Kaplan's System. Can some of you weigh in on the best? I need to get the ball rolling ASAP! Funds are getting scarce! I am definitely someone who likes to take the bull by the horns. Good direction and pre-made photocopies are a plus. (Small-town printers)

Sincere Thanks....
may the Greats Live On!
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I heard Kaplan's system is very good. I do not have it personally, but hear great things about it. I am also a graphic designer, so if you need any help or ideas for how to get some of your promo stuff done, just let me know.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
I own both! Please stay away from Stan Kramien's System unless you want to know all about telemarketing.

With the recent laws, telemarketers are going out of business and in Stan's book, he talks about using Attorneys, and with today's laws you'll probably need their services. This book is designed for a small group to sell-sell-sell so the fund raiser makes a lot of money. The concept is quite simple, more money less shows, through telemarketing your Illusion show and giving a portion to the sponsoring agency. It's easy for the Sponsoring agency, a little work, a place for show, and the rest is up to you to sell the show.

I found Kramien's system interesting reading but was really disappointed. I was also disappointed in the Café member who recommended it to me, saying it was better than Kaplan system.

Think of those phone calls you receive from people claiming they are representing your local police department looking for donations. Kramien tells you how to do that.

On the other hand, John Kaplan's system includes a project kit manual which the sponsor can pick and choose numerous methods of making additional money, such as Head Chopper Contest, or the Houdini Treasure Chest Drawing.

In either case, both require that you have a self-contained magic Illusion show, which includes a lighting system, a sound system, and an illusion show.

To do this properly, you will need a trailer (A truck/van to pull trailer), an Assistant, and a stage hand. (ShowTech is $2,400 for automated music system)

John Kaplan's method is a more detailed system and it requires complete study to understand it fully. He includes marketing methods, videos, and other ways to increase sales such as concession stands, magic kits, tricks/novelties for sale. The goal of Kaplan’s program is for you to make a set fee of about $2,500 per show and doing 100 shows a year and for the Sponsoring agency to make about $5,000 to $15,000 profit sponsoring your Illusion show. This way you set a client list which will continue year after year.

Kaplan also has additional sales such as his Christmas (Magic of Christmas) Family Illusion Show, his Trademarked (Stage Fright) Halloween Show, and a method to do a Dinner Theater (Night Magic) Show, each costing additional money to purchase the program. (I have all these) Now, all of this does cost a lot of money, about $300 per program. I have not regretted (ever) any one of these purchases, however, I was really disappointed with Kramien product.

Check out Kaplan's Upgraded Programs

One word of Caution, if you commit to a self contained Family Illusion Show, the investment is quite expensive.

Consider the costs:

• Van/Truck
  • Trailer ($4,000 Plus)
  • Illusions ($2,000 average each 4 required)
  • Magic Effects or Illusionettes
  • Assistant ($150 per performance and rehearsals)
  • Stage Hand ($150 per performance and rehearsals)
  • Lighting System ($1,000-$2,000)
  • Sound System ($1,000-$2,000)
  • ShowTech ($2,400)
  • BackDrops ($1,000-$2,000)
  • Professional Photos ($1,000)
  • Advertising and Marketing (10-20 percent of gross receipts)
  • Concession Stand Popcorn Maker, Candy Cotton, Juicer ($2,000-$5,000)
  • Magic Kits (Backroom Sales Item)
  • Novelties (Backroom Sales Item)
  • Gas, Food, & Lodging

There is more, but you really have to be committed to do this. Before the first show, it is easy to spend $25,000 in setting up an Illusion Show.

Now this does not take into consideration many other aspects of doing Fundraising Illusions Shows, such as web site advertising, flyers, brochures, setup of graphics for show program, etc.

It is not as easy as it seems and a lot of work in setup and breakdown, meetings with sponsors, teaching them how to market your show, monitoring their progress and sales, contract terms, glitches in getting started, getting your name known and reputation established.

At the very least, "Pack Small, Play Big" does sound appealing.

I hope this is a help to you. Remember this is an opinion on the fact I have both Kramien and Kaplan's Program and personally like (love) Kaplan's Deluxe Fundraising System. Also, I have never met either one of these professional magicians. I did call Kaplan to get some advice on finding an assistant. (Most of that "How-to" find an assistant is here on the Café in another section.)

One final point. Getting the Deluxe package is a cheap way of finding out if you really want to go that extra mile and invest into a full blown Family Fund Raising Illusion Show
Dennis Michael
Stuart Cumberland
View Profile
Loyal user
289 Posts

Profile of Stuart Cumberland
I have all of Stan Kramien's stuff and paid him for consultations many a time.

I have most of John Kaplan's stuff and communicated with him frequently.

Both promote on the premise of fundraising, but we're comparing apples and oranges here.

Kramien's system is telemarketing based. Yes. Now, I'm not an expert, but to the best of my knowledge telemarketing is not *illegal*. It is getting highly regulated, however.

I have worked for others promoting shows via telemarketing (magic show, circus, variety show and medicine show) as well as promoting my own shows using the Kramien system.

I've done it ethically, and I've done it legally. Everything above board. Oh yeah, I made great money doing it too.

The concept behind the Kramien system is to find a sponsor and basically do all the work for them. You book the venue, you sell the tickets and do the show. They just simply show up, take the credit and get their cut. It's a beautiful system. It has worked successfully for years. And still does.

Kaplan never liked the idea of doing telemarketing but interestingly, he loved Kramien's concepts. What Kaplan does is *charge* the sponsor for the show, but provides them with a HUGE kit that they can use to promote the show. He provides them with literally dozens of ways to make money. Basically, he removes all the risk of the sponsor booking him. Many of his sponsors make thousands of dollars profit. His concept is that he doesn't care how much they make (he doesn't take a cut), he only cares that he can book a ten week tour night after night at great fees. It works. And it works well.

John Kaplan has been very, very successful with this system. (I know, I'm Canadian and he's blazed Canada coast to coast).

Which is better? That's a personal choice. But knocking Kramien--who travelled coast to coast and night after night with a HUGE show--is poor form. I guess I'd have to admit that I'm a bit sensitive to Stan, as his advice has lined my pockets with plenty of cash. He means a lot to me, and the hundreds of people whom he has so freely helped.

Here's MY opinion, for what it's worth...

I've used many ideas from John Kaplans products. He's got some real gems in there. But I'm biased towards Kramien.

Dave's magic words were tight budget. Kaplan's system is great but will require a lot of investment to make up the project kits. Kramien's system requires very little up front costs.

With that in mind, I'd recommend Kramien's SECRETS book--get the Show Me The Money at a later date--and make darn sure you get his AWESOME book Illusion Show Business. ISB gives you a complete formula for producing a great full evening illusion show for a small investment. Gives you the ins and outs of a travelling show. It is AWESOME, IMHO.

Dens advice about the potential huge expense of a travelling show is real. However, after you read ISB, you'll see that you can also do it very inexpensively. You can book five shows, as Kramien suggests and rent a truck. With Kramiens formula, you only need four "bigger" illusions and the rest is small. It works. I've done it. I've also done it with my hypnosis show, and as Stan said, with that all you need is "a briefcase and a Cadillac."

BTW, the Garden Brothers Circus called me today on my business line to sell me tickets for their show. Yes, telemarketing is alive and well.

In good times and bad, groups are always looking for fundraising opps. If you can provide them with a solution, you'll have work. And money.

If you have any specific questions, please don't hesitate to ask, Dave.

Blair

Stage Hypnosis Secrets Revealed:www.Mental-List.com/masterhypnosis.htm
Stuart Cumberland
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Hello Blair,

Yes, you recommended Kramien's system to me and I read your above post and what you say is correct. We have a personal favorite and you stated yours and I stated mine. True it is a personal choice, however, I am not knocking Kramien system, I clearly said it is telemarketing system, and I am sincere about my disappointment in that system, mainly (in a nutshell) because I don't want to be a telemarketer, spending most of the time on the phone and managing others who are also telemarketers.

Telemarketing is not *illegal* and certain charitable organizations are exempt. As of this September 2003, if you call someone on the "Do Not Call List" it is a $11,000 dollar fine for each call. The Courts just fined a spammer of faxes 5.5 million dollars, which has similar rules and they said they are going after computer spammers next. The borderline between what is acceptable and not accceptable must be clearly established with these new laws. My first thoughts were that this might put Kramien System obsolute, however, there are situations where this might be acceptable and an Attorney needs to be hired to determine this. (I personally don't want this type of hassle or be bothered with having an Attorney on retainer. This is not meant to knock the Kramien System, only to point out the potential for legal problems with these new laws, and to point out the major difference in the two systems.)

I made it clear in my post that if telemarketing is what you want to do, do fewer shows, and spend lots of time on the phone, then Stan's system fills that requirement.

Also it is a personal choice on how one wants to present an Illusion show.

For instance, check out: Marketing a Jeff McBride Illusion Show One doesn't even have to know magic to make money telemarketing a show. Here is a system where one just markets a Jeff McBride Illusion Show, a Jeff McBride Lecture, and a Jeff McBride Workshop. This is ideal for Stan's Telemarketing system

I'm not one for hanging on a phone. Yes, I could sell an illusion show and with the profits I receive from the telemarket efforts, I could buy the 4 Illusions and then develop a show. This is possible with Stan’s system. (Not recommended), however, it is possible and you really don't need to be a good illusionist because many of the tickets that are sold are sold to corporations in blocks and those people will never show up as mentioned in Stan's book. Stan's system is a moneymaker.

Kaplan's system is universal in that many magicians do a shorten version of Kaplan's program and have been successful. There are a lot of variations to Kaplan's program and one can get heavily involved, or do a simple Dinner/Theater show for smaller organizations like firehouses, and club organizations. (Same Project GuideBook, less marketing and advertising tools are used.)

If one wants to "get a feel" for Kaplan's program and see if it meets what they are looking for then I suggest they get Kaplan's "Fund Raising Secrets" booklet for about $20. This is a brief but powerful introduction on what he has in his $397 program. This booklet outlines how an organization can make money sponsoring an Illusion Show. If this fits your idea on what you would like to do, then invest in the Kaplan Program.

I don't regret buying Kramien's "Illusion Show Business (ISB)" I did pick up some interesting bits of information, however, for the $100, half the book is on the life of Kramien, a kind of self-biography. The purchaser should know this before outlaying that $100.

Also one can make money and call their act an Illusion show, and work out of a car! To me this is not my concept of a full-blown illusion show.

In this Month's (January 2004) M.U.M. magazine, Duane Laflin has a very good article on a two-person Illusion show. This is a must read article for anyone who is considering doing illusions. Duane mentions the pitfalls of a large illusion show and the advantages of an illusion show that can be done out of a van or small trailer.

Topics include being self-contained with set-ups under two hours, streamlining sound systems, minimal lighting, Spider Backdrops Systems (Duane is the USA Distributor), Roll on/off easily packed illusions, using audience members to fill the stage. It is quite enlightening.

The main difference in the two is that Kaplan' system is a complete "HOW To" do a successful fund raising illusion show with videos, graphic designs, CD pictures, radio announcements for his Stage Fright and Magic of Christmas shows, and so much more. Kramien System is a complete "How-to" Successfully telemarket.

Here is some of what Kaplan's Program Offers:

Kaplan has detailed the below ten-step process to run a successful fund raising program:

• 1. Select an Event
  • 2. Book a Facility
  • 3. Assembly a Fundraising Team
  • 4. Develop a Game Plan
  • 5. Choose Your Piggy-Back Fund Raisers
  • 6. Promote the Event
  • 7. Sell Tickets
  • 8. Final Push
  • 9. Show Day
  • 10. Follow-up

For example #5 above Kaplan offers 30 detailed Piggyback fundraisers to make to ensure the client makes money and the program is a success. He also tells you how to sell these additional fund raisers.

• 1. Souvenir Program (most other fundraising programs never go beyond this point)
  • 2. Corporate Sponsorship
  • 3. Corporate Donations
  • 4. Newspaper Promotions
  • 5. Fantasy Auction
  • 6. Car Wash
  • 7. Ticket-Stub Coupon
  • 8. Pledge Contest
  • 9. 50/50 Drawing
  • 10. Door Prize Raffle
  • 11. VIP Pass
  • 12. Houdini Mystery Trunk Prize
  • 13. Bottle Drive
  • 14. Talent Show
  • 15. Pancake Breakfast
  • 16. T-shirt Promotion
  • 17. Corporate Challenge
  • 18. Magic Button
  • 19. Networking
  • 20. Co-Sponsorships
  • 21. Coat Check
  • 22. Corporate Rebate
  • 24. Top Hat/Rabbit Race
  • 24. Create a Brand new Fund Raiser Contest
  • 25. Theme Product Sales
  • 26. Dollar Auction
  • 27. Basket Raffle
  • 28. Exhibitors Table
  • 29. Sell un-used Piggy Back Fund Raisers
  • 30. VIP Pass Plus

Kaplan offers 16 methods where clients can easily sell tickets:

• 1. In-School Sales
  • 2. Telephone Sales
  • 3. Door-to-Door Sales
  • 4. Box-Office Sales
  • 5. Mail-in Orders
  • 6. Mail-Box Orders
  • 7. Corporate Block Sales
  • 8. Group Block Sales
  • 9. Membership Sales
  • 10. Shopping Mall Sales
  • 11. Retail Merchant Sales
  • 12. Special Event Sales
  • 13. Avance Ticket Sales Contest
  • 14. Membership Program Sales
  • 15. Email Sales
  • 16. Internert On-Line Website Sales

Kaplan offers 35 methods to advertise:

• 1. Posters
  • 2. Camera Ready Ad-Cuts
  • 3. Press Releases
  • 4. 8x10 Photos
  • 5. Reviews & Testimonials
  • 6. Announcement Copy
  • 7. Radio Broadcast Tape
  • 8. TV Broadcast VIdeo
  • 9. Camera Ready Flyers
  • 10. Ticket Request Form
  • 11. Teaser Ads
  • 12. VIP Ticket Flyer
  • 13. Camera Ready Logos
  • 14. Camera Ready Rubber Stamps
  • 15. Coloring Contest
  • 16. Pull-Out Tab
  • 17. Puzzle Piece Contest
  • 18. Mystery Trunk Contest
  • 19. Magic You-Can-Do Flyers
  • 20. Puzzle Page Flyers
  • 21. Hit lit Fluer
  • 22. Guillotine/Saw-in-Half Contests
  • 23. Guillotine/Saw-in-Half Flyer
  • 24. Wanted Poster Flyer
  • 25. Stickers
  • 26. Magic Wheels
  • 27. Ticket Sales Booth
  • 28. Sovineer Program Sales Kit
  • 29. Camera Ready Table Tent
  • 30. Magical Door Prize Flyer
  • 31. Feature New Article
  • 32. Camera Ready Optical Illusions
  • 33. Birthday Flyer
  • 34. Stocking Stuffer Campaign
  • 35. Scratch and Win Tickets Campaign

And Kaplan Offers 25 methods to promote the event:

• 1. Souvenir Program and Newspaper Combined Ad
  • 2. Promote the Day
  • 3. Simplicity 3- Step Promotion
  • 4. Classroom Walk Video Promotion
  • 5. Pre-Publicity Contest Promotion
  • 6. 15 Ways to Promote Other Events
  • 7. Expand your Family Market
  • 8. Frequent Flyer Promotion
  • 9. Coloring Contest
  • 10. Celebrity Guest Promotion
  • 11. Ticket Give-awy Promotion
  • 12. Ten Special Advertising Approaches
  • 13. Magical Door Prize Promotion
  • 14. T-Shirt Advertising
  • 15. Post-Show Campaign
  • 16. Big-City Campaign
  • 17. Box-Office Promotion
  • 18. Birthday Party Promotion
  • 19. Student Paper Interview
  • 20. Stocking Stuffer Promotion
  • 21. Preview Show Promotion
  • 22. Promote Yourself
  • 23. Color Flyers Promotion
  • 24. Millennium Baby Promotion
  • 25. Assembly School Free Show Promotion

All the above and much much more is detailed in Kaplan's Main Course, and his newsletters which can be located at Kaplain's Fund Raising Magic Web Site

It took a while to sort though the massive amount of information to come up with the above lists. Kaplan offers all the clip art and examples and samples on CD so you can fully understand his program. My goal is to duplicate Kaplan success, using his tried and true methods.
Dennis Michael
themagician64
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of themagician64
Thanks Guys!!

I just love all of the info and the breakdowns. Sincere thanks! I already have the show, illusions, lights and a committed and inexpensive staff etc. These systems still sound pretty involved.
Finding a sponsor that is willing to shell out the bucks might be tough around here! Most of the fire depts. are even tough. They have gone to these big bingo and raffle nights and literally make fifty thousand in one night in small towns! An entertainment fundraising package might be a tough sell. Telemarketing in this state is dying a slow death. Most have caller id's and don't answer the phone if they don't know you (I recently worked for a company recently to make ends meet). Most of the venues you can rent will only hold between 300-400 people, these are small towns remember. I will definitely PM a few of you though.
Thanks!!!!!!!!!
may the Greats Live On!
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
The John Kaplan; Fund Raising magic System:

I LOVE John's thinking...
I LOVE John's Planning...
I LOVE John's Attention to Meticulous Detail...
I LOVE the fact that John is willing to share his very own REAL LIVE, real-world stuff with us!

John's course is not so much “a course” as it is a look into the life, planning, activity and real world peak in to the life of a successful, REAL pro worker!

What is THAT worth?

The stuff you get with John's system is "HIS ACCUAL SYSTEM" for booking, producing, relating, motivating and doing what he actually does to get the RESULTS he gets constantly!

For this market, it is without a doubt the very best, most complete information on the subject to date! (Not even Stan has the level of information John has in his product!)

John has thought out every conceivable detail possible for this type of return.
- Back of Room Products and Sales
- Piggy-Back Programs
- The Whole Enchilada including ART, “THE” Sponsors Package (Which is worth more than 10 times the amount of the entire system all by itself!)
- Media and sales strategies that produce piles and piles of cash!
- The real-live video HE actually uses to book 100’s of thousands of dollars worth of gigs!
…Honestly, NOTHING is held back here! This is the REAL DEAL for about the price of one decent walk-around gig… geezh!

I’ve helped quite a few performers get their hands on John’s insane package with ZERO consideration of return.

I absolutely BELIEVE in his product and willingness to share ALL the real-deal dope for soooo little investment!

All that being said... and having done just about every type of fund-raiser known to mankind including phone rooms, sponsored dates, buy-outs, gift shows and mail-out campaigns and others! (The last two of which we exclusively pioneered nearly 3 full decades ago!)

The bottom line is… I LOVE the 'fund raiser' model for our industry! (Not just John’s, but the entire FUND Raising business model!)

EVERYBODY WINS!
- The organization get much needed “money and goodwill” associated to a fun, family event!
- The community gets an opportunity to support and participate in a worthwhile, family event that support their own community that they would have most likely paid to go to anyway!
- The producer/performer wins because he/she gets to facilitate all this 'goodness' and gets paid well to do so!

…How cool is all that?

But… (and that is my big BUTT! Hehehehehe!) I choose differently.

In my own experience, John’s program is waaaaaaaay too much work for waaaaaay too little money. AND, I love to sleep in MY OWN BED at night!

There is A TON to learn from John’s system to be sure! Honestly, there is very little he didn’t include in his information!

So why do I say I “choose differently”?

Simply stated… personal preference.

Like I said… I like sleeping in my own bed at night, for one and the type of systems he employs are waaay to much work for most US organizations, (though, like I said, it’s by-far, the BEST sponsor package to date!) so YOU end-up having to do more work than the possible payday you may get.

It’s like deciding to do a ‘phone room’ promotion or not. I choose NOT!

My system is 3 days from start to finish and we generally raise waaaay more money (for the time and money invested.) than systems like John’s will ever hope to produce. (AND I get to sleep in my own bed at night! – Woo Hoo!)

Now I say “MY” system… honestly what we should “all” should say (Myself, John, Stan, Rick, Geoffrey, Patrick and others in this industry) is “our compiled systems, based on all the work done to date that has worked consistently and persistently “for us” over the years… and is now formed into what we now call (each of us) “MY” (or each of our) system.”

Make sense?

MY system allows me to deliver hundreds and thousands of dollars to a particular school or organization in less than 3 days, (really 12ish hours…) INCLUDING the SHOWS themselves!

- Practically ZERO in marketing costs!
- Practically ZERO in sweat equity costs! (It’s SUPER EASY!)
- It’s self-marketed! Self funded! And self promoted! (Super SIMPLE!)
- It has enjoyed a 100% success closure conversion rate! (That’s right, NO-ONE has said NO! Not ONE!)
- The income potential is absolutely UNLIMITED with almost ZERO risk!
- You can CHOOSE to stay near home or travel if you like… It’s ALL up to you! (You generally make more if you stay near home just because of the expense associated with traveling!)
- You can repeat the system almost unlimited in EACH venue! (At-least 4 times in each venue! – Where your previous SUCCESS and re-relationship is! – Hello!)
- It’s ALL done for you, once you have the system in place! It’s practically self-working!
…and you enjoy ALL the benefits of all the other HOT features of all the other systems with practically ZERO risk!

- The same Back Of Room Profits!
- The same PiggyBack Programs!
- The same Multiple Profit Centers!
- The same Easy Sell! (Even EASEIR!)
- The same Quality of Impact! (And BETTER!)
- The same Promotional Opportunities!
- The same and BETTER Income Potential!
=> Loads LESS Risk and Work, Time and Investment for the Return and RESULTS!

All the same WINS and MORE! - What could be better than that, right?

…Based on over three full decades of research, development and real live experience at work! Really hundreds of years if you take into account all the contribution made, but let’s just say 30+ years of real live experience!

Though to explain the entire ‘system’ and what it works the way it does in every case, I would have to write a BOOK!

…I ain’t doin’ that here, tonight!

The super simplistic overview of this system is obvious. An easy to follow percentage split much like you are already familiar with where you do a show, they supply the venue and you both profit.

Easy, yes?

Do your show, share your talent and make everybody a pile of cash! How much simpler could it be? Take what you learn from John’s stuff add it to what you know about Geoff’s system and you are off n’ running in the right direction!

PLEASE don’t over analyze this… just go out and DO it! Help others, and make plenty of money for you all at the same time!

Apply all the same sound business, marketing and development tools you find right here and get off your butt and DO IT!

You don’t NEED another ‘system, course or book’! You have everything you need RIGHT NOW… just go DO IT!

Do you see the theme here?

DO IT!
DO IT!
DO IT!
DO IT!
…ad-infiniteum!

I hope that helps some…

I am at your service and in his service,
Deano
<><

PS
PLEASE share YOUR ‘success’ us!
Dean Hankey, *M.D. - The Dean of Success Solutions!
Serving & Supporting YOU and Your Success!
"Book More Shows... Make More Money... SERVE MORE PEOPLE! - Not Necessarily In That Order…"

(*Marketing Doctor) Smile
themagician64
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of themagician64
Thanks Dean!

You told me things I need to hear! I always did like the KISS program! I don't mind sleeping in a hotel once in a while, but not every night. I already have two fundraisers prospects set-up for Monday. The info I really need now is the percentages that work and an excellant type of brochure for direct mailing, a little further out of my home area.

Thanks!!!!!!!! Smile
may the Greats Live On!
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
There are several ways to do this. No “one-way” is best except to say; “what works best for YOU.”

Here are “SOME” examples:

- Some take a negotiated fee and that is all. (Accept what they sell BOR and other income streams!) Anything and everything made all then goes to the fund raisee. (More risk for the sponsor fund raisee.) This is closest to what John Kaplan does. He charges a set “negotiated” fee and the sponsor keeps all the ticket monies. (Doesn’t include BOR and stuff!)

- Some take minimum guarantees plus a percentage of the over-all… (Smaller risk to sponsor with apportioned reward for both)

- Some take ONLY a percentage with zero ‘minimum guarantee’. (Practically no risk to sponsor… apportioned risk and reward to both.)

Any number of split percentages is acceptable since it is all but FREE money to the fund-raisee’. Make sense?
40/60?
50/50?
60/40?
70/30?
Some still do ‘sliding-scale’ based on gross receipts.
… It’s all up to you and what you feel is right for your situation.

- Some also take the first “so much money” (Like $350 to thousands depending…) as a “minimum guarantee” then split the rest. If for some reason, the “minimum” number of tickets is NOT sold (less than the $350 in THIS example) the performer/fund raiser only takes what was brought in till the minimum is satisfied then, like I said they do a percentage of the rest one way or the other. (Still little risk for sponsor and apportioned reward to each)

- Others take the first “so much money” then split the rest until a max (Cap) pay-out of your fee (Like $800 or what-ever) then all the rest goes to the fund raisee. Once the MAX-CAP is made… ALL of the rest f the monies goes directly to the sponsor/fund raisee.

There are so many others that are too many to list!

NOTE:
NONE of these fees include any of your BOR, PiggyBacks, and Ad-Books… etc unless otherwise ‘negotiated’. - At the same time, YOU get NOTHING of the additional side fund-raisers THEY do like; bake sales and so on in conjunction with each event.

But ALL those detail are up for individual negotiation…

Bottom line… (In my opinion)
INVEST IN YOURSELF… Invest in John Kaplan’s system!

=> Oh, and by the way… YOU DO NOT HAVE TO HAVE A SO-CALLED “BIG SHOW” TO MAKE THIS STUFF WORK!

I have use soooo many different styles of programs that I know for a FACT that one does NOT necessarily out-produce the other in RESULTS one way or the other!

Simply put:
You DON’T, under ANY circumstance, HAVE to do “illusions” to make scads of money for both parties! NOT by a Looooong shot buh, buh! – Not by a long shot!

Often the bigger the show, the less the take on your side because of all the expenses. (Well Duh!) Simple math eh’?

SOME of the kinds of programs I have done:
- Full Blown Illusion Review Shows
- Hypnosis Shows
- Family “stand-up” type shows
- Educational programs
- Talent showcases (Kids from the school or community!)
- Teachers Follies, and local politician/celebrity follies.
- National Headliners
- Sporting events of every imaginable kind
- Games Shows
…and MORE!

They ALL work ‘about’ the same in the end. Often though, (again) the less EXPENSE, the more “profit” for YOU on your side of things.

This, of course is NOT ‘everything’ there is on the subject by a looong shot, but it “IS” enough for you to GO-OUT and make it work for yourself! If you want to cut some time and headache off you success time… GET John’s Stuff! (Really) I mean the GOLD package is LESS than you’ll most likely make on just ONE show at 50/50 equal split!

I hope that adds some clarity and supports your success a little bit further!

I am at your service and In his Service,
Deano
<><
"Book More Shows... Make More Money... SERVE MORE PEOPLE! - Not Necessarily In That Order…"

WVMAGIC
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of WVMAGIC
Deano,
May I ask a little more about the self promotion you do? Can you recommend a few techniques? PS Nice website
Thanks in advance
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Dean:

We are not worthy. We're not worthy ::bows down and kisses Dean's feet::

That is a wealth of information you just shared with us. Thank you so much for being as generous as you always have been.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

themagician64
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of themagician64
Thanks Deano,

I am already booking fund-raising magic shows with the info you gave me from last week. Kyle thanks for the pm's. Things are now falling into place!! Everyone, sincere Thanks!!!!!! Smile
may the Greats Live On!
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
You are always most welcome. Anytime I can help a fellow magician, I will do so. Thanks for asking.

I had 2 shows today and the new marketing things I used today both went over wonderfully. Just from a nice thank you kit given to the client, I landed a possible school evening show gig from it.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

MagicalPirate
View Profile
Special user
Shamokin, PA
828 Posts

Profile of MagicalPirate
Okay, Dean, quick question. How do you make it all happen in 3 days. Geoffrey's system is 6 to 8 weeks. I must be missing something here. I have got to get started for after the first of the year. Getting into the planning for the 6 weeks at the mall as Santa so have about 6 weeks to do my planning and then run headlong into the fund raising afterwards to keep the money coming in during the winter months.

Thanks

Martin Smile
Martin Blakley, CSH, DASH, CMSA
http://www.thehypnoguy.com/HYPNORESOURCES
http://www.docgrayson.com/
How To Sell Anything Online
http://tub.bz/?r=1z
Copyright to my own words retained 100%.
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
Sure,

Here ya' go brother...

Day 1) Assembly(s).
Day 2) Ticket sales.
Day 3) SHOW Time!

Of course, all the details and internal, SIMPLE promotions that make it all work is a complete course with I am not gunna' spell out here cuz I ain't that good a typist! (Hehehehehe!)

Like I said in the other post, over the last 30 years of doing it this way, It sells out EVERY-TIME and 99% of the time TWO (2) full sell-out shows in a night with people turned-away at the door cuz they didn’t get their tickets in advance (on day two)

Hope that helps some.

I am at your service and In His Service,
Deano
<><

Just because these threads are intricately intertwined, here is the other thread on Fund Raising Magic Shows:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......44&8

MagicalPirate
View Profile
Special user
Shamokin, PA
828 Posts

Profile of MagicalPirate
Just to be accurate in this thread. Yes, you can have to spend a lot of money putting on these shows. You can also do this with most of the material you already have. Just remember this is a family show and if you have good stage skills and are entertaining you can do this.

I have seen this done in my own home town with the Kramien style system. The entertainer and promoter took over 10 grand out of the community and the local organization made some money with no work. The show was transported in the back of a MiniVan and lasted about an hour. Smiles and fun was had by everyone. Not a person there would have wanted their money back or not thought they got their moneys worth. There were two illusions in the show and the rest was your typical show material and filler.

My point is anyone can do this and it is needed in your area. Don't wait til you can afford to put on the David Copperfield Multi Media Extravaganza. When you can the tickets better not go for $6 each. Organizations everywhere need your help and you don't do it for free. This can keep your calendar filled when those slump times come and nothing else is in sight. Unless your very good at budgeting there are times during the year when you money just doesn't flow like it should. Now there is no reason for the money to be tight.

I second Dean's Motion:

DoIt
DoIt
DoIt
DoIt

Martin Smile
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
Massive ACTION will cure any business slump or all that ails ya'!

NOW, just imagine what it would be like to apply massive action WITH appropriate knowledge!

Within the confines of these two short threads is ALL the information you need to get going in a successful show business career! (Really) Though it may not be EVERYTHING, it IS “more than enough” to be as successful as you are willing to make it now!

DO IT NOW!

You may never have ALL the information… so why wait?

DO IT NOW!

NOW is better than later!

DO IT NOW!

All it takes is massive LUCK!

DO IT NOW!
Do It Now!
DO IT NOW!
Do It Now!
DO IT NOW!

I am at your service and In His Service,
Deano
<><

PS
SUCCESS in Showbiz is all LUCK!

The more LUCK, the more success you will have!

DO IT NOW!

PPS

Oh yeah… LUCK Means:

L abor
U nder
C orrect
K nowledge

Though THAT might help some too. (Hehehehehe!)

Write me with your successful results! I want to know of your success!

By the way: DO IT NOW!

King Of Pop
View Profile
Veteran user
Estonia
392 Posts

Profile of King Of Pop
I completely agree with magic4u02 here Smile
God Bless You, I Love You From The Bottom Of My Heart
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
Woo Hoo!

I LOVE it when brothers and sisters can agree!

I remain, at your service and In His Service,
Dean
<><

MagicalPirate
View Profile
Special user
Shamokin, PA
828 Posts

Profile of MagicalPirate
I would suggest a great fundraising and booking information source is The Professional Entertainers Booking and Selling Manual by Roberta & Ken Griffin. It is loaded with forms, inside systems and the lowdown on running a phone room for fundraising. If you can find a copy I would highly recommend that you buy it immediately.

Martin Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Some advice on Fund Raising magic books! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.58 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL