The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Documentaries worth watching (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
I saw a few really good documentaries recently that I really enjoyed. All were centered around music.
I know there's a lot of music lovers on here.

– "Big Star: Nothing Can Hurt Us" – This one's about the band Big Star, a favorite of rock critics who never caught on with the general public,
but influenced bands like The Replacements and R.E.M.

– "Muscle Shoals" (2013) – A documentary about The Muscle Shoals sound and the founding of FAME studios by Rick Hall.
A pretty incredible guy. I really enjoyed this one. Great music.

My favorite was this one:

– "Good Ol' Fred: The Beatles Secretary Tells Her Story" (2013) - This one was really charming about a 17 year old woman who became the Beatles secretary for 11 years.
She headed their fan club and knew all their parents as well. A very down to earth lady who kinda shunned the spot light.
She may very well have given away millions of dollars of memorabilia to charities and fans, keeping only a few boxes for herself.

Any one else seen any good documentaries lately?
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Profile of Daryl -the other brother
Last week I saw "Blackfish". It's about the treatment of killer whales in places like Sea World and the human deaths they have caused. Hard to watch because of inhumane treatment but still quite fascinating.
longhaired1
View Profile
Veteran user
Salida
316 Posts

Profile of longhaired1
I am on a real New York kick these days. I have a list of 37 New York based movies to watch, and in addition to those I am taking in some documentaries as well.

New York, The City and the World is so far the best I've seen about New York in the 20th Century. It is one of I believe 8 films in the series (for a combined total of some 17+ hours of documentary) and explores in depth the problems of urban renewal, and the destruction of neighborhoods, with an in depth look at Robert Moses, including his plans to run no less than 3 expressways through Manhattan. This film increased my knowledge of the history of the city ten fold. Great doc:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv1ep2lJgIg
longhaired1
View Profile
Veteran user
Salida
316 Posts

Profile of longhaired1
..did not mean to post twice
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
I have watched many documentaries that have I not “enjoyed” at all and yet they been great documentaries. I mean if you watch The Soviet Story it very disturbing. I think most documentaries are worth watching whatever that means. What is worth?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
For me Life on Earth (BBC) and Cosmos were the two greatest documentary series ever.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
Quote:
On Apr 1, 2014, Daryl -the other brother wrote:
Last week I saw "Blackfish". It's about the treatment of killer whales in places like Sea World and the human deaths they have caused. Hard to watch because of inhumane treatment but still quite fascinating.
I saw the trailer for Blackfish recently, it looked pretty interesting.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1322 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
Quote:
On Apr 1, 2014, Daryl -the other brother wrote:

that's what I had in mind when I read the topic, so another vote for that.
Sent from my Typewriter
Dr. Van Van Mojo
View Profile
Special user
570 Posts

Profile of Dr. Van Van Mojo
Here's couple I've seen recently that I really liked.

Ain't In It For My Health: A Film About Levon Helm
Inspiring but also kind of sad. This was filmed just a few years before his death. It's an intimate and moving documentary about a true legend in rock music.

Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage
This one's a few years old but I just watched it a couple weeks ago. Very interesting and entertaining history of a great band.
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1226 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
I really liked "Guns, Germs, and Steel." It's a 3 part documentary based on the book of the same name about how and why some civilizations advanced and others didn't.
silvercup
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of silvercup
4192: The Crowning of the Hit King
silvercup
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of silvercup
Rocks with Wings (2001)
silvercup
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of silvercup
Second Guns Germs & Steel
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
The Beatles Anthology, Ain't In it For My Heatlh, both Cosmos series, Auschwitz: Inside the Nazi State, Man on a Wire, How the Universe Works, Ken Burns'Civil War and Baseball, Paperclips

I am a documentary junkie and my Netflix queue is about 70 percent documentaries and 30 percent of everything else.

The next one I'm going to watch is Werner Herzog's documentary about capital punishment; I've heard wonderful things about it.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
I'm watching Ken Burns' "The War" right now. Wanted to watch it again.

Vlad, I know you're a musician, if you haven't seen them already, I'm sure you'd love the three I mentioned.
– Karl Germain
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
It's not deep or heavy and certainly not disturbing but;

Trekkies

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120370/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

I haven't seen the sequel;

Trekkies 2

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0364079/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Profile of Daryl -the other brother
If you like rock music check out "It might get loud". Jimmy Page, The Edge and Jack White talk guitar.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Buena Vista Social Club
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
Quote:
On Apr 2, 2014, Daryl -the other brother wrote:
If you like rock music check out "It might get loud". Jimmy Page, The Edge and Jack White talk guitar.
I enjoyed that one.
– Karl Germain
Barry Gitelson
View Profile
Special user
Kona Hawaii
973 Posts

Profile of Barry Gitelson
Http://www.knuckleballmovie.com/

Great documentary if you are a baseball fan.
"Your talent is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God." Author: Leo Buscaglia
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Documentaries worth watching (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL