The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Thurston 5 card vanish? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Nate The Magician
View Profile
Regular user
159 Posts

Profile of Nate The Magician
Does anyone here know of any sources where one can learn the Thurston 5 card routine?
Thank you,
Nate.
61magic
View Profile
Special user
Sacramento California
775 Posts

Profile of 61magic
Jeff McBride's card manipulation series, available on DVD or download. There is no better teacher for this.
Professor J. P. Fawkes
Nate The Magician
View Profile
Regular user
159 Posts

Profile of Nate The Magician
Aha. Thank you very much.
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
You could also go to the book that many magicians--from Marlo to McBride--probably learned it from: the little book _Howard Thurston's Card Tricks_. Marlo also explained the move in his book _Card Fan Productions_ and tells how--even though he was familiar with the move--he was fooled by it when he saw Bill Baird use the move at a performance in a Chicago theater. Do a web search on
+"Howard Thurston" +"Card Tricks" +pdf
and you'll find a copy on-line.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Maybe not the classic Thurston 5 card vanish but a nice similar idea, Salvano: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9_h0A1hVIY
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Apr 5, 2014, Anatole wrote:
You could also go to the book that many magicians--from Marlo to McBride--probably learned it from: the little book _Howard Thurston's Card Tricks_. Marlo also explained the move in his book _Card Fan Productions_ and tells how--even though he was familiar with the move--he was fooled by it when he saw Bill Baird use the move at a performance in a Chicago theater. Do a web search on
+"Howard Thurston" +"Card Tricks" +pdf
and you'll find a copy on-line.

Yes! Bill Baird didn't just do billiard balls!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Heck Dick other than a couple of us most guys don't even know about the "Magnificent Fraud". God what a smile! And T. Nelson Downs did not only do coins.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Right Richard! T.Nelson used a FLAG STAFF to close his club act! Faucett Ross told me a lot of stories about Downs.

I never saw Paul Braden (a lot of young guys wont recognize THAT name!)do anything but cards, but, I'm sure he could have!

Do you remember George Johnstone's Silks and Flowers act??? --Or, how about Marvin Levy's "Silk Merchant"?

I think I was born too soon! I gotta get an avatar up, before I get much older!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
I know "Braden"...no wait, I'm in my 60's!
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
Whether the "younger guys" would recognize Paul Braden's name depends on
1) who their mentor was, and
2) whether they read books on the history of magic in addition to books of tricks.

One of the reasons that Earl Edwards and I got along so well was that I had read books like _Panorama of Magic_ and _Illustrated Magic_ with the additional chapters by Barrows Mussey as well as the books that Mussey wrote under his "Henry Hay" pseudonym. The annotated Biography and Bibliography in _The Amateur Magician's Handbook_ was a lot of fun to peruse. Ring 103 had a "Rice Bowl" competition once and I was on one of the teams. The moderator asked: "Who wrote _Fifty Years in the Magic Circle_?" and I immediately responded, "Signor Blitz!" thanks to Hay's book!

A lot depends, too, on whether the public libraries have magic books with a chapter or two that discusses the history of magic--and whether the current authors of magic books include that kind of information in their books.

On a light note:
There is a neighborhood community in Virginia Beach, Virginia called "Magic Hollow" with street names like Blackstone Trail, Cardini Place, DuBois Place, Durbin Place, etc. Ring 103 had held a "Rice Bowl" quiz and one question was "Who wrote _Fifty Years in the Magic Circle_?" As one of the members of one team, I immediately answered (thanks to Hay's book): "Signor Blitz!" Everyone in the room was stunned! Less than a week later I was driving around in Magic Hollow with another member of Ring 103 and guess what street we turned onto:
BLITZ COURT!

----- Sonny Narvaez
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Thurston 5 card vanish? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL