The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Train Tracking - by Atlas Brookings (262 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9..17..24..31..38..45~46~47 [Next]
C.J.
View Profile
Inner circle
There's a lotta rambling in my
2366 Posts

Profile of C.J.
I specifically asked Atlas this language question when I spoke to him, and asked what his "official" answer was. He thinks it would be a simple matter to break it all down, but let's not forget that it was *his* brain that conceived The Riddle, so what is easy for him will not be easy for others. I know that if I was really determined and dedicated, I would be able to translate Train Tracking, but to be honest, right now I see it as quite a daunting task. But, if the book contains a lot of the history and development of the effect, like Atlas described to me on Skype, then it will lay out a step-by-step process that will guide you in putting it into your native language. Just be aware that it will take considerable time.

This is not one of those "Brain Fart" ideas that gets typed up into an e-book in an afternoon and then sold before it's been road-tested. Train Tracking has been in development for 6 years, and has been performed to good reaction in the real world. It deserves the high price tag that may be attached purely on account of the amount of work that has gone into it. But let the buyer beware that it will cost you more than just money - if you truly want to use this, it will cost you time and effort to learn and practice. I anticipate a high proportion of buyers will buy this for the secret, and then never put in the time to actually start performing it. And that's their loss. Smile
Connor Jacobs - The Thought Sculptor
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Be fondly remembered.
bond19
View Profile
Inner circle
Blackpool, England
1320 Posts

Profile of bond19
With all the talk of 'work involved' could this be clarified? I'm not asking for specifics or to unfairly fish for methods. Its just some things such as maths & spelling I find really difficult. I'm just not wired that way. Does this rule me out? PM are welcome

Muchos gracias
Harry the magic man
View Profile
Loyal user
Spokane, Washington
270 Posts

Profile of Harry the magic man
I am also curious about the work put in. Is it experience or memory of a complex set of things. I guess what I'm asking is can you jazz with it. I as well am not fishing just curious if I have the time to put into it.
Best wishes,
Harry
Between the conception
And the creation
Between the emotion
And the response
Falls the Shadow
Life is very long- T.S. Eliot "The Hollow Men"
Gumar Oz DuBar
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of Gumar Oz DuBar
Quote:
On May 20, 2014, bond19 wrote:
With all the talk of 'work involved' could this be clarified? I'm not asking for specifics or to unfairly fish for methods. Its just some things such as maths & spelling I find really difficult. I'm just not wired that way. Does this rule me out? PM are welcome

Muchos gracias

Is there a way to fairly fish for methods? Not being a d***, I just don't understand the grammar of your reasoning for asking the question (although I understand your question and the reason you put forth, I simply don't share your grammar).

Also, CJ, I noticed that you happened to use the word ebook, and since you happen to know more than the rest of us waiting for the release, do you if it will be released in a physical form? (I ask this question almost every time something gets released, but I have an odd aversion to ebooks (generally). I much prefer physical copies.)

Very much looking forward to the release of this!
I write and edit text.
Gumar Oz DuBar
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Quote:
On May 20, 2014, Gumar Oz DuBar wrote:
Quote:
On May 20, 2014, bond19 wrote:

Muchos gracias

Is there a way to fairly fish for methods? Not being a d***, I just don't understand the grammar of your reasoning for asking the question (although I understand your question and the reason you put forth, I simply don't share your grammar).

Also, CJ, I noticed that you happened to use the word ebook, and since you happen to know more than the rest of us waiting for the release, do you happen know if it will be released in a physical form? (I ask this question almost every time something gets released, but I have an odd aversion to ebooks (generally). I much prefer physical copies.)

Very much looking forward to the release of this!

And I genuinely wanted to know if there was a way to fairly fish. I should've mentioned that as well, to lessen me coming off as a d***.
I write and edit text.
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3772 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
I'm not sure if you could detail the work involved in translating this to other languages without discussing the method or to be honest without being fluent in the language it is being translated to. I'm sure some languages would be easier than others to translate.

I get the idea, reading between the lines, that this is to be a physical book. I would certainly urge Atlas not to release it as an ebook but then Atlas is a pretty clever guy (understatement of the century) and so I'm sure he has already concluded that limited editions remain limited for far longer in physical form.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Harpacrown Too is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=harpacrown-too
Ophiuchus is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=ophiuchus
Totally Free Will is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=totally-free-will
Gumar Oz DuBar
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Quote:
On May 20, 2014, Mark_Chandaue wrote:
I'm not sure if you could detail the work involved in translating this to other languages without discussing the method or to be honest without being fluent in the language it is being translated to. I'm sure some languages would be easier than others to translate.

I get the idea, reading between the lines, that this is to be a physical book. I would certainly urge Atlas not to release it as an ebook but then Atlas is a pretty clever guy (understatement of the century) and so I'm sure he has already concluded that limited editions remain limited for far longer in physical form.

Mark

This was my original impression as well, I was a little shocked to read 'ebook', but either way I'd very much like to get this. My want for this material strongly outweighs my prejudice against the ebook format. Also, as you stated, the exclusivity will be better maintained with physical copies.
I write and edit text.
Atlas
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Atlas
Hi guys - first let me thank you for your interest and to CJ and Derek and Looch and Mark for their posts (and anyone else that I might have missed). When I was chatting to Derek the other day and his response was so phenomenal, I really regretted that I haven't personally experienced Train Tracking, and so can never know what it feels like. So your posts put a smile on my face.

Anyway, to address some of the questions here - I believe that Train Tracking can be adopted to most languages, and the process shouldn't be that difficult. Refinement of the process is what will count and that will take time and will come through performance. Like me, you'll have to go back to the drawing board once or twice, but as Gourmet mentioned earlier on here, a group effort by speakers of a specific language would be a great resource and would greatly reduce the time spent on making Train Tracking work in a chosen language.

And Chris, as to the work involved - I want to emphasize that if you take the advice that I give you in the book, and follow the steps I outline, it shouldn't be too much for anyone. There is no math involved, but some memory work is required - unless you are doing this over the phone.

Now, before you let that deter you, let me ask you this:

How many times have you driven down the road, singing along with music from the radio? Word for word.

Or how many movie scenes do you know by heart?

Or how many jokes can you tell?

That's all memory work, and in many cases, the above are more demanding than Train Tracking is.

But again, if you aren't yet ready to perform this in person, you can always perform it over the phone with the book open.

One way to look at it as though you are learning a few different effects - each of which gets a great reaction - which when you then combine into a bigger one, it is something that you begin to enjoy and actually look forward to. Looch and I went to dinner the other night, and he was SO close to getting my word. And he knew he was. And then he looked across at me and said something like 'Right, I've got to finish this thing now' - because when you are at that point, you can see how close you are to the goal and how strong what you are doing can be.

And yes, Train Tracking allows you to Jazz your performances.

Oh - and yes, it will released as a hardback book, not an eBook.

Best,

Atlas
CSK Sr
View Profile
New user
Pennsylvania, USA
14 Posts

Profile of CSK Sr
Just when I think it is not possible to generate more hype and interest in Train Tracking, Atlas posts another description of it and raises the anticipation even more!

CSK Sr.
C.J.
View Profile
Inner circle
There's a lotta rambling in my
2366 Posts

Profile of C.J.
Sorry if I threw everyone by using the word 'ebook'. I was trying to draw a distinction between the amount of effort I can see Atlas has put into Train Tracking, and the apparent lack of author interest that I've seen in some one-trick ebooks. I did not mean to imply that TT would be in ebook format. Certainly, in this age of internet piracy, anyone selling a valuable concept like this would be foolish to put it in PDF format.
Connor Jacobs - The Thought Sculptor
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Be fondly remembered.
bond19
View Profile
Inner circle
Blackpool, England
1320 Posts

Profile of bond19
Thanks Atlas for replying, and that's just what I was hoping to hear. I look forward to sharing your company and your creative mind at Newcastle.

Until then take good care.
Chris
Atlas
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Atlas
Quote:
On May 21, 2014, C.J. wrote:
I did not mean to imply that TT would be in ebook format. Certainly, in this age of internet piracy, anyone selling a valuable concept like this would be foolish to put it in PDF format.

I am looking into something that I'd like feedback on. I'm considering having the book printed in an Ultraviolet ink, so that all the pages are essentially blank and can't be read without a UV light, which would be provided with every copy. This would prevent the book from being scanned, but I don't know that I'd personally enjoy reading a book that was printed in this format.

What do you guys think?

Best,

Atlas
CSArscott
View Profile
Regular user
139 Posts

Profile of CSArscott
Novel concept very mystical, never heard of that idea before!

Two questions;

How many pages would we be looking at?

Easily replaceable standard UV bulb?
Chris
Gourmet
View Profile
Loyal user
262 Posts

Profile of Gourmet
Very good idea to protect this book ftom being scanned / photocopied.

but the downside is, that at least for me, a book printed in this fashion would be ( very?) annoying to read.
seamagu
View Profile
Special user
860 Posts

Profile of seamagu
My first thought was: Do it atlas

I think this would set an excellent precedent

However, prolonged exposure to UV lamps is not good though. But there may be other options

I'll mail them to you

Regards,

Sea
I love post its Smile
Gumar Oz DuBar
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Quote:
On May 21, 2014, Gourmet wrote:

but the downside is, that at least for me, a book printed in this fashion would be ( very?) annoying to read.

My thoughts precisely. Unless I'm wrong in understanding how this is going to work.

If this is going to be a limited release (which it most probably should be be) couldn't you put hidden marks in the books in different places, each mark representing a specific book? This wouldn't be as effective as making every page blank without a special light, but if someone were to try to upload it, then you would be able to tell who based off the mark. Then again, this is much much more laborious and I don't know how practical.
I write and edit text.
jaizon
View Profile
Inner circle
By time you read this I will have
1540 Posts

Profile of jaizon
Atlas,
It is an interesting idea, but in this age of internet piracy I'm not convinced
it would achieve the result you desire. Would it make it more difficult to copy...without a doubt. Would
it make it impossible? I don't think so. For example, some industrious pirate could simply buy
an original and type it out as a PDF and then sell copies of that. UV ink would make it quite a bit harder to read for the
real buyers. Does it matter to me? Not really. I will get it
when it comes out, even if it's printed in Morse code. Smile I'm very much looking forward to it.

Preston
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3772 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
I think the idea is good but I'm not sure how practical or comfortable it would be to read it by uv light. With a limited edition my protection would be to be very choosy about who I sell it to. That said I guess finding 150 people that you trust completely would be a major challenge. I must admit that the logic of copying this and spreading it defies me. To me it would be akin to letting all and sundry have a ride on your wife, or worse still someone you actually love!!

(Edit: I hasten to add that from my experience of Atlas he is very much in love with his wife, we are not all quite so lucky lol).

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Harpacrown Too is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=harpacrown-too
Ophiuchus is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=ophiuchus
Totally Free Will is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=totally-free-will
MatCult
View Profile
Inner circle
1518 Posts

Profile of MatCult
I think you should have the text of the book tatooed in small reversed script on the back of each purchaser and provide them with a series of specially-made magnifying mirrors they can rig up in their home in order to view their own back and read the manuscript.

This will prevent both piracy and re-sell profiteering.
"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business."
Gumar Oz DuBar
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Quote:
On May 21, 2014, MatCult wrote:
I think you should have the text of the book tatooed in small reversed script on the back of each purchaser and provide them with a series of specially-made magnifying mirrors they can rig up in their home in order to view their own back and read the manuscript.

This will prevent both piracy and re-sell profiteering.

The first thing I thought was 'selfies'. (Much to my dismay)

If it's set at a high enough price, I think that may weed out pirates from the legit ones. Who wants to give away something for free that they spent tons of money on? (Not what a lot of people want to hear, but face it, this type of concept/effect was gonna be expensive regardless, or at least it should be!)
I write and edit text.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Train Tracking - by Atlas Brookings (262 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9..17..24..31..38..45~46~47 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL