We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Train Tracking - by Atlas Brookings (262 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..18~19~20~21~22..27..31..35..39..43..45~46~47 [Next]
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3054 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
So, Train Tracking will allow us a totally impromptu method to reveal not only thought of words, but pin codes, birthdays etc! If it wasn't an Atlas Brookings release I would be beginning to harbour serious doubts about this effect. It just sounds too good to be true. However, it is an Atlas Brookings release, and we all know he has always delivered the goods. I'm so happy this is going to be a strictly limited release. The fewer trains on the track, the safer we'll all be!
SolidSnake
View Profile
Special user
534 Posts

Profile of SolidSnake
Lmao, I keep hearing from people about his whole - glad it's a limited release. The main reasons I hear are as follows:

1) A limited release or expensive release will stop lay people finding out. Yea and so will a $10 magic book. If someone is interested in something they will buy a book etc - yea a casual interest may stop an expensive purchase but that's it. Those not that interested or that don't want to perform magic will not pay even $1 to learn a secret out of simple curiosity. I have yet to meet a lay person that has read Annemann or even heard of him. It's simple - I have no interest in say Cricket, so why would I buy a book on Cricket?

2) A limited release or expensive will help to keep the effect pure/non diluted/away from amateurs. Well to me this is elitist nonsense. Why should an effect only be available to those with a large budget or lucky enough to purchase at a designated time and place? Nothing will be diluted by an amateur learning and practicing an effect. They are in a completely different market to a professional - mostly entertaining themselves and maybe friends and family. A pro is going out and working. Nothing is taken away from a pro by an amateur learning and maybe he too will be a pro one day.

This is my little rant. I have nothing against Atlas or anyone else that chooses to do business in whatever way they want. I just think that this whole limited special edition stuff is nonsense. I'd even go as far to hazard a guess and say that books that are limited and expensive may be that way for much more mundane reasons. Such as - price to print a book, number of prints available at price, how many might be sold etc.

If I were releasing an effect - no matter how great I thought it was - I would at least try to make it available to anyone that wanted it. Yea, I might charge what I think it is worth but I wouldn't make it a limited 100 people ever can only get it. I'd just make a pdf and be done with it.

My little rant over - feel free to flame me for my thoughts on this. I hope that Atlas has a successful release and I look forward to reading some reviews and making an informed decision - if there are any copies left!
There is no holy grail!
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
Last time I posted I had one less than
1197 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
I think that the reason is because he wants to keep the secret of the trick under wraps. He does not want any fool with money to be able to learn the secret. Also from what I understand it takes a lot of dedication to learn to do it, so he did not want to let people know how to do it who will not learn to do it.
Reality is a real killjoy.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18822 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Hey! I'm a fool, and I have money - lemme buy it!
I've asked to be banned
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18822 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I thought it said on an earlier page, that there is a mild vetting process involved too...
I've asked to be banned
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Where would you all be today if Annemann, Corinda, Henry Hay, Devant, Professor Hoffman, et al, had only produced limited editions?

Limited editions are fine, I guess, but they really do nothing to advance the art, simply because they generally cannot become influential works or be a part of the body of knowledge upon which future works are based and from which they are inspired.
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3054 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Quote:
On Jul 8, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:

Limited editions are fine, I guess, but they really do nothing to advance the art, simply because they generally cannot become influential works or be a part of the body of knowledge upon which future works are based and from which they are inspired.

It could be argued the two routines in the limited first edition of 'Pure Effect', which were excluded from future editions, did more to influence and, arguably, advance mentalism in the Uk than any publication in the last 50 years.
MrThomas
View Profile
Regular user
Magdeburg
120 Posts

Profile of MrThomas
Quote:
On Jul 8, 2014, magicmerlz wrote:
As another who has pre-ordered I would absolutely love to be properly Train Tracked before reading the book...just to experience it before learning the secret. I do miss that feeling I used to get when experiencing an effect for the first time...obviously once we gain a little knowledge this feeling can never be replaced.

Quote:
On Jul 8, 2014, magicmerlz wrote:
Not a bad idea...I'm in as a test subject.
Anyone else?

Me too! Smile
I think, many people here share your point Matt. I do at least. So my name can be put on the imaginary list of "TT test subjects" as well. That concept of training, for more experienced Trackers, with test subjects (who already own a copy but delay to read the method) should be included as a subsection in the TT-board.

Thomas
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2443 Posts

Profile of NeilS
I have just bought my ticket to go train tracking - getting ready for what promises to be a fascinating journey.
Rolyan
View Profile
Special user
I'm fencing in my land; so far there are
586 Posts

Profile of Rolyan
Quote:
On Jul 9, 2014, Martin Pulman wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 8, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:

It could be argued the two routines in the limited first edition of 'Pure Effect', which were excluded from future editions, did more to influence and, arguably, advance mentalism in the Uk than any publication in the last 50 years.

Really? You honestly believe that?
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18822 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:

in your opinion, in what way? both techniques had been previously published in other effects/presentations...
I've asked to be banned
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3054 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Quote:
On Jul 9, 2014, IAIN wrote:
Quote:

in your opinion, in what way? both techniques had been previously published in other effects/presentations...

You are quite right that neither routine was original in its method, though it could be argued that Reminiscence took a certain technique and pushed it to uncharted waters. I would argue that Derren's work arrived in the right place at the right time (just after the first Blaine special), and its influence has been enormous.

As many people here remember, mentalism -at least in a UK context- was very much a minority interest in the magic field until the late 90s. The choice of books on the subject was limited in the extreme. Dealers would look at you with a rather withering, distrusting stare if you requested mentalism material. When Derren gave his International lecture in 1999(?) it felt like a breath of fresh air. It seemed utterly vital and new. His message of invisible compromise and pure effect had the force of a rallying call. His material may have been a mash-up of Canasta, Geller, Hilford and Knepper but it had never been embodied so perfectly in one individual. And an individual with such showmanship.

It was the transmission of Derren's first series Mind Control that kicked off the current mania for mentalism in the UK, particularly of the psychological/NLP variety. Magicians keen to jump on the new bandwagon naturally turned to Derren's book and, finding that two routines had been removed became desperate to find them (no change there then!). I remember a, now very well known, mentalist begging me for a photocopy of both routines. I didn't supply them but soon after he was publishing his own work written in a distinctly Derren manner-and most of the material used the techniques in the missing two routines. I would argue that all of the new young(isn) Uk mentalists are in debt to Pure Effect and its influence-whether they know it or not.

I write all of the above in a UK context, of course. But then, I don't think it is coincidence that much of the most exciting new activity in the field in recent years has originated in the Uk. Or that the focus of that activity has been extending the concept of invisible compromise and pushing the principles employed in Lift and Reminsiscence to dizzy, sometimes uncomfortable, heights.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
In the sense that limited editions by notable performers/creators are often widely, and many times illegally, shared, they do to an extent become part of the main body of work in mentalism. But, more often than not, most limited releases are simply forgotten after a year or so.

And it's hardly surprising that material released in limited editions is often innocently reinvented by those who have to access to the work.
sjrw
View Profile
Special user
564 Posts

Profile of sjrw
I'm in a similar boat. This sounds fantastic, but I'd really love to experience it before I buy.
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
So I've now had a good nights sleep since I was train tracked.

Now I'm even more fooled than yesterday. I'm trying to think back on the process and work out how in the world he knew my word... I understand bits and pieces, but goodness, I don't see how it is possible. When I try to back track, I just don't get it. This is killer.
SolidSnake
View Profile
Special user
534 Posts

Profile of SolidSnake
Can someone described what the effect actually is? Sometimes people are saying it is diving a thought of word.

Then other times people mention diving multiple words. Then there is mention of 3 person version that makes you think of 1 ahe*d.

Does the performer write anything? Is there multiple reveals? Would be useful if someone could write a good description.

However, in this day and age - if it is soo good, why is there not a simple video to watch? Some have said that the method takes a lot of practice - if so a simple video won't expose it.

Fair enough if what was being sold was a collection of effects but In this case - it is one effect.
There is no holy grail!
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3383 Posts

Profile of Looch
The effect can become pretty much anything the creative mentalist wants it to become. In it's simplest terms, participant thinks of any word (nothing written down, nothing forced) and after taking them through an internal process, where they just think of things associated with their word. Within a short period of time the performer is able to reveal the thought of word. The performer is then also able to reveal every thought the participant has gone through during this internal process

For those who have experienced TT on action, most have pre- ordered a copy of the book, I think that speaks volumes

I've experienced TT many times now as I'm learning the process, it is as pure a demonstration of thought reading I've seen. A beautiful piece that Atlas has spent years perfecting, he was (and still is in many ways) unsure of whether to release this because it's his 'baby' so to speak. He's very protective of his creation and the hard work that's gone with the development. For that reason it is a limited release and will only be available to those who he knows and has invested an element of trust in his work.

With hard work and practise, they will not be disappointed! Atlas has never attempted to seek attention, praise or credit from his peers with this piece, he is putting out something that will genuinely change the way the purchasers will be able to reveal a thought.
My Mentalism Products: https://www.readmymind.co.uk/
Bookings: https://looch.co.uk/
BCE
View Profile
Loyal user
255 Posts

Profile of BCE
Quote:
However, in this day and age - if it is soo good, why is there not a simple video to watch?

Because "in this day and age," there are already way too many videos, that's why. If I had felt Train Tracking was primarily intended for people who need just "a simple video to watch," I would not have pre-ordered it. The effect has already been described ad nauseum.
MatCult
View Profile
Inner circle
1518 Posts

Profile of MatCult
There's a video of Art Vanderlay cloud-sculpting and look where that ended up! I respect the "no video" stance.
"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business."
fadattf
View Profile
New user
AT
55 Posts

Profile of fadattf
Quote:
On Jul 9, 2014, Magic.Maddy wrote:
So I've now had a good nights sleep since I was train tracked.

Now I'm even more fooled than yesterday. I'm trying to think back on the process and work out how in the world he knew my word... I understand bits and pieces, but goodness, I don't see how it is possible. When I try to back track, I just don't get it. This is killer.

Since I have already bought some other manuscripts from Atlas I had no doubt that this will be another genius masterpiece.

But when I read such posts I can't wait to read this book...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Train Tracking - by Atlas Brookings (262 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..18~19~20~21~22..27..31..35..39..43..45~46~47 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL