The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Train Tracking - by Atlas Brookings (262 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9..15..21..27..32~33~34~35~36..45~46~47 [Next]
Robert P.
View Profile
Special user
Kansas
556 Posts

Profile of Robert P.
Quote:
On Jul 27, 2014, Martin Pulman wrote:
Love your pulsing Avatar. Atlas! Is there no end to your talents!!!


Did his avatar always do that? (I just noticed it, haha)

Anyways, I was going to come in to respond but I think you and Atlas said it better than I could have. Now to get back to sacrificing some honor...
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1248 Posts

Profile of reese
Quote:
On Jul 27, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
I still want to know who sacrificed their "honor" to Atlas. I'd love to hear the juicy details. Smile

I don't want to see the video!
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
This works best one on one or for a small group. But it can be done on stage as well. As a matter of fact, Atlas SLAYS with it on stage.

With a lay audience, this is a true miracle. And utterly impossible. It's not one of those effects that was made to fool magicians. It was made to give a spectator a feeling of REAL mind reading and I swear it does. Mark Elsdon nailed it on the head when he said this about train tracking: "It feels like he's walking around inside your head." It truly does feel this way. It feels like the mentalist knows your every thought.

I honestly you can't compare this to a book test. It's totally different. The problem with book test in layman eyes is why? "Why do I have to say stop on a 'random' page to think of a 'random' word? Why can't I just think of a random word?" "Why do I have to write it down only for it to get torn up? That's the only logical way he could have known my word." We performers try to come up with good explanations for it, and sometimes we do! But that thought is still in the back of their minds. With TT (weird how TT suddenly went from meaning Thumb Tip to meaning Train Tracking. Bet that will confuse some older ones at some point Smile ) they REALLY think of ANY word they want. There's no books, no lists, no restrictions, and no process behind the selection of the word.


But the TT itself is fun for the participant. And it is all covered by great presentation. The biggest difference is instead of reading one thought, you read their EVERY thought. And it all happened inside their own head.


I personally wouldn't use this as an opener or closer. Although you absolutely could. I think it's biggest value is using it when I meet someone who wants me to read their mind. Or for a potential client. It works great in that sense because you would only have to do TT for them to book a show. Nothing else.

The only problem with TT is that it's going to be an experience tht I don't think could be topped. It's almost TOO strong. TOO real.

However, if using the stage presentation, it isn't as strong simply because the only person tht truly experiences it is the one who actually thinks of everything. Because of that, it could fit in anywhere ito the act and would be an amazing piece for the audience to witness but also wouldn't be SO strong that it couldn't be topped.

Let's pretend that mind reading truly does exist and YOU have just had the opportunity to meet him. Here are two options. Which one would affect you more?

1) You meet the mind reader face to face and he tells you your every thought.
Or
2) You go to the mind readers stage show and he reads every thought of someone on the other side of the room.

Obviously it would be WAY stronger to experience it yourself. That's the same with this. That's why I, personally, don't think I'll use it on stage.



Hope this helps.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Good input Maddy. But I disagree with EVERYTHING you said about book tests. There are excellent reasons for using a book rather than having a word selected at random- the main one being that most people will not think of very imaginative or difficult words. I emphasize that when I bring out an unabridged dictionary, pointing out that it contains nearly ten times as many words as most people have in their entire vocabularies.

It's all in the presentation, as always.
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
Quote:
On Jul 27, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Good input Maddy. But I disagree with EVERYTHING you said about book tests. There are excellent reasons for using a book rather than having a word selected at random- the main one being that most people will not think of very imaginative or difficult words. I emphasize that when I bring out an unabridged dictionary, pointing out that it contains nearly ten times as many words as most people have in their entire vocabularies.

It's all in the presentation, as always.



I KNEW you would say that! Maybe I really am a Mentalist after all!

Hehe, like I said, it has been done. There have been great presentations associated with them. I've even been told "that was the best trick I've ever seen you do" about a book test in one of my shows. By someone that had seen many of my shows. But because of the way it's presented, by the end of the routine they forgot the book was ever in play. It killed.


HOWEVER I have seen MANY terrible performances of book tests. Enough to know that most performers completely skip the important part of giving it context.




But glad you liked the input otherwise! Smile
Scott Soloff
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
960 Posts

Profile of Scott Soloff
Quote:
On Jul 26, 2014, kinesis wrote:
If you can impress mentalists like that think what you can do with a lay audience.


Derek,

I could be wrong here. If you're (not you personally) doing your job properly, the lay audience shouldn't know the difference.

Best wishes,


Scott
p.s. My intention is not to start a s#%* storm.
'Curiouser and curiouser."
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
Quote:
On Jul 27, 2014, Scott Soloff wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 26, 2014, kinesis wrote:
If you can impress mentalists like that think what you can do with a lay audience.


Derek,

I could be wrong here. If you're (not you personally) doing your job properly, the lay audience shouldn't know the difference.

Best wishes,


Scott
p.s. My intention is not to start a s#%* storm.


I think his point is that if mentalist are so amazed by it and think it feels real, how much more real does it feel to the laymen
SolidSnake
View Profile
Special user
534 Posts

Profile of SolidSnake
Not necessarily true. Sometimes magic tricks that are designed to be magician foolers can be too convoluted for a lay audience.
There is no holy grail!
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
Quote:
On Jul 27, 2014, Clel-Mentalist wrote:
Not necessarily true. Sometimes magic tricks that are designed to be magician foolers can be too convoluted for a lay audience.



This wasn't designed to be a magician fooled (as I stated above)


Why are you still up young man!? Smile
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On Jul 27, 2014, Magic.Maddy wrote:


I think his point is that if mentalist are so amazed by it and think it feels real, how much more real does it feel to the laymen


I think one has nothing whatsoever to do with the other. Mentalists and magicians are often amazed by things that lay audiences could care less about, or even notice. I've had mentalists amazed at my billet switches, for example. Regular audiences aren't amazed at all because they never even notice them.

Mentalists and laymen are entirely different audiences in almost every respect.

(I haven't read Train Tracking yet, but I am very much looking forward to, because I have a lot of respect for Atlas's work. So until I've read it, learned it, and actually performed it for laymen, I don't feel qualified to offer any opinion on it at all.)

Good thoughts,

Bob
sandsjr
View Profile
Special user
840 Posts

Profile of sandsjr
Quote:
On Jul 27, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Mentalists and magicians are often amazed by things that lay audiences could care less about


A perfect example of this is ACAAN, The HOLY GRAIL to many.

To a lay person there's no difference between the cleanest version you've ever seen and the invisible deck. In fact, I almost think lay people like the invisible deck better for some reason.
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
Quote:
On Jul 27, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 27, 2014, Magic.Maddy wrote:


I think his point is that if mentalist are so amazed by it and think it feels real, how much more real does it feel to the laymen


I think one has nothing whatsoever to do with the other. Mentalists and magicians are often amazed by things that lay audiences could care less about, or even notice. I've had mentalists amazed at my billet switches, for example. Regular audiences aren't amazed at all because they never even notice them.

Mentalists and laymen are entirely different audiences in almost every respect.

(I haven't read Train Tracking yet, but I am very much looking forward to, because I have a lot of respect for Atlas's work. So until I've read it, learned it, and actually performed it for laymen, I don't feel qualified to offer any opinion on it at all.)

Good thoughts,

Bob



I agree. I was just trying to interpret Derek's post to Scott Smile
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Yes, I knew that Maddy. I am, after all, the master mind reader.Smile
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
Quote:
On Jul 27, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Yes, I knew that Maddy. I am, after all, the master mind reader.Smile


Tis true!

ALL HAIL THE MASTER MIND READER!! Smile
sandsjr
View Profile
Special user
840 Posts

Profile of sandsjr
Quote:
On Jul 27, 2014, sandsjr wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 27, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Mentalists and magicians are often amazed by things that lay audiences could care less about


A perfect example of this is ACAAN, The HOLY GRAIL to many.

To a lay person there's no difference between the cleanest version you've ever seen and the invisible deck. In fact, I almost think lay people like the invisible deck better for some reason.


Let me correct that... with CAAN there's no difference. Sorry! I haven't thought about magic for a while.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Except for the fact that the Invisible Deck has been so widely exposed to laymen that I would rarely use it as usually presented. (I have used it, however, in ways that it would never be suspected, such as in a You Do as I Do routine with two decks.)
sandsjr
View Profile
Special user
840 Posts

Profile of sandsjr
Quote:
On Jul 27, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Except for the fact that the Invisible Deck has been so widely exposed to laymen that I would rarely use it as usually presented. (I have used it, however, in ways that it would never be suspected, such as in a You Do as I Do routine with two decks.)


Right. I know of a beautiful effect that uses it where nobody would suspect it. Amazing how many buried treasures there are.

I sent you a PM.
RedDevil
View Profile
Inner circle
Deep South
1241 Posts

Profile of RedDevil
Any updates on when the rest of us late purchasers will be approved to enter the forum (I am 146)? Looking forward to exchanging ideas.

thanks!
www.reddevilmentalism.com
F-F-U-L-Ri-F-F-Li-R-U-F-F
Investigative Mentalist
View Profile
Special user
Seattle, WA
501 Posts

Profile of Investigative Mentalist
FYI ... Atlas just told me that all copies of TT have been sold.

For once, I was in the right place at the right time. Since I'm just getting started as a serious mentalist, I've missed out on many cool effects and products from the recent past that are no longer available.

For those of you lucky enough to own a copy of TT, the TT Owners Forum is rocking with 128 Posts in 22 Topics by 91 Members.

See you there!
Investigative Mentalist
View Profile
Special user
Seattle, WA
501 Posts

Profile of Investigative Mentalist
Quote:
On Jul 28, 2014, RedDevil wrote:
Any updates on when the rest of us late purchasers will be approved to enter the forum (I am 146)? Looking forward to exchanging ideas.

thanks!


There are a couple delays for adding the remaining TT members.

First of all, Atlas is on vacation. He has earned the time off after working hard to write, print and ship the TT books.

Second, we are changing the way that we set up members in the forum due to some problems we have encountered with the first batch of forum members.

So my advice is to read the book and practice TT. That will keep you plenty busy.

The forum is a resource to use AFTER you have read the book.

My "guess" is that we will get the rest of the TT owners added to the forum within about two weeks.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Train Tracking - by Atlas Brookings (262 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9..15..21..27..32~33~34~35~36..45~46~47 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL