The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Teaching - Would Love Some Input! (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

nnakao
View Profile
New user
El Sobrante, California
5 Posts

Profile of nnakao
Hi everyone! I have been asked to teach a beginner's magic class at an adult school (18+).

I want to include a variety of close-up style magic that will include each of the following effects:

-Vanish/Production
-Transformation
-Restoration
-Teleportation/Transposition
-Escape
-Levitation
-Penetration
-Prediction

I want them to be simple to learn, not need expensive props, and easily adaptable, so as to not give away a specific magician's secret (without them making their earned profit).

I think I have most of what I am going to go over, but I would love to hear some input from the community. I have plenty of time to make adjustments, if needed.

Thanks everyone!

-Nick
Nicholas D. Nakao
Magician Site: www.n2illusions.com
Magician Social Site: www.n2illusions.mixxt.com
Email: info@n2illusions.com
plink
View Profile
Special user
661 Posts

Profile of plink
Look in the children's magic section at your local library. If you at first present the trick in an entertaining manner and the explain that the secret is found in most children's magic books your students will begin to see that real magic hinges on presentation and not secrets.
nnakao
View Profile
New user
El Sobrante, California
5 Posts

Profile of nnakao
Thanks for the feedback. I do plan to show very easy magic to start off with. Actually, my plan was to use kids tricks, or easy enough for kids, so I could adapt the class into a kids class for the local Boy's & Girl's Club. But for now, I am doing this at an adult education school.

I want to try to get their mind frame set on the performance and psychology of magic and try to get them to appreciate the industry as an art. But, I still want to give them something that will excite them. Towards the end of the class, I want to have them all pick a few tricks from the class and try to put together a small show. I also want to give them a variety so they can experience more than one type of illusion in hopes they will find their passion. And, I want them to learn some of the basic "must have starters" types of illusions, such as, a basic Cups & Balls routine and Cut & Restored Rope.

I'm just trying to get some input from the community for opinions on a good illusion to include. I think I know what I will include already, but I'm always up for suggestions. Thanks for the input!
Nicholas D. Nakao
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
Hesperia, California USA
1904 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
Most people (99%) won't care about the psychology or history of magic. They just would like a few 'cool' tricks to show their friends. Some self-working card tricks, some simple coin tricks, and some mentalism is all you need. Stay away from tricks that 'everybody' knows (vanishing silk, 21 card trick). Books in the library, Barnes & Noble (Amazon) are all good sources for beginner tricks. You also may have to give some thought as to what would work better for adults and their situations as opposed to children.

I would save things that require props (like the Cups & Balls) for an intermediate class, for those who want to delve deeper into the art. It's hard to believe, but people think they are interested, but once they see how simple (not easy) magic is, they will lose interest. They will have fun, but very few, if any, will have the interest you have. So go have fun and don't expect much, expect to teach some people how to have fun with a few tricks. They'll be back if you do a good job for more.

Good luck, hope this gives you some things to think about. I've taught several classes over the years and they are fun.
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
How many classes how much time?

Teleportation: Sponge balls - two in the hand one in the pocket
Vanish: TT silk vanish
Transformation....cards and a DL
Penetration - CMH, or coin through hand.
Prediction - Card force
Restoration - Cut and restored rope
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5019 Posts

Profile of landmark
Magic for Dummies, despite the title, is a very good resource for beginners' magic and how to teach it. Harry Lorayne's The Magic Book is also helpful.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9025 Posts

Profile of funsway
You can get magic kits with 12 effect for about $4 each -- everything you need for a class. Then -- after they master a couple you can move on to better things. Suggest you do not waste time not money until each student demonstrates a real desire (demonstrate being the key).
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
nnakao
View Profile
New user
El Sobrante, California
5 Posts

Profile of nnakao
Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

I don't plan on going to much into psyche and history, but I will go over a little. And, I don't plan on spending any money on props, except maybe a deck of cards, and maybe a thumb tip... maybe. So, only about $2 - $3 per person. The rest will be items they will most likely have around the house. I want them to start looking at things differently. (Hmmmm, I can make a trick out of that)

I haven't decided the times yet. Thinking about once a week, 1.5 - 2 hours a day, for about 6 - 8 weeks.

The people that sign up will have a decent desire, because these classes will not be too cheap. So, there won't be wasted time, on my behalf. But, because of that, I want to make sure they get a quality class.

Thanks again for the input!
Nicholas D. Nakao
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Teaching - Would Love Some Input! (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL