The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » What's the best Card's across routine you've ever seen? (30 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Ascanio has some clever ideas on cards across.
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Michael Close, which has roots in Mullica and Johnny Paul's routines is great. His hand prop is the best gag for this. Simon Aranson's Red See Passover is amazing. Played with it for a long time but I just couldn't work out a presentation that fit my style.
mrmagik68
View Profile
Special user
NYC
574 Posts

Profile of mrmagik68
For years I've been doing the version from the Mullica book, Showtime at The Tomfoolery, by RK. However, I shortened it so that the cards go across just once. It has got to be the strongest routine I do with cards for laymen. And it's super easy too, just can't remember the name.

Roberto
Original Card Clinician
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
The Mullica routine comes from Johnny Paul. I believe it is called Cheek to Cheek. Mike Close changed a few of the palms and added his own bits and published it in the Workers series as Butte ox? Two Butte ox.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Http://youtu.be/OKZAoLhYCnI
this is my verson based on a David Regal effect
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Micha-el
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of Micha-el
Years ago I saw Juan Tamariz perform a cards across. I believe it was a version of Larry Grey's Cards Across. It can be found in Dai Vernon's Further Inner Secrets of Card Magic. It might be the same trick that twistedace referred to in his post.
rawdawg
View Profile
Special user
Southern California
686 Posts

Profile of rawdawg
Juan Tamariz and Mac King.
One time, when I was young, I botched a sleight so bad, Vernon, Marlo & Miller rolled over in their graves. But I didn't see Elmsley, probably because he was behind the others.
Chris Bruce
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
213 Posts

Profile of Chris Bruce
All of the above are great. Michael Weber has a very convincing hands-off method. Really great as well.

Everything Tamariz does is superb.
Steve Suss
View Profile
Inner circle
1193 Posts

Profile of Steve Suss
I'm surprised noone mentioned David Devants from RRTCM. Alan Ackerman came up with some additional refinements. I've been doing Devants routine for over 50 years and have never looked back. One of my favorite card tricks.
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Quote:
On Apr 8, 2014, orchid666 wrote:
I don't remember the name if anyone could help, but I love the simplicity and directness of the bill Malone handling that's pretty much ALL palming. Thin it's was on one of the 'on the loose' tapes?
K

It's simply called "Bill's Cards Across". It can be found on one of L and L's 'world's greatest magic' complations along with Juan Tamariz' routine. I love them both; and the point is well taken about Bill's "simplicity and directness". Bill's is all palming, yes, pretty much imporomtu, no gaffs, etc. However, his character and humor is also definitely part of the trick. Lynn
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
In my opinion the best version of a thought of card across is Paul Wilson's Thinking it across, it uses a regular deck and can be done impromptu. You have one red card vanish from a pile of 10 red cards and appear amongst the 10 black cards or the other way round.

I think choosing a good solid version of cards across is very difficult these days due to so much exposure on youtube so choose wisely before investing your time and maybe try out some of the lesser known versions for example maybe John Carey's Interlocking Flyer or Interlocking Sandwich to name just two.
Steven Leung
View Profile
Inner circle
found the Magic Rainbow after
1614 Posts

Profile of Steven Leung
Quote:
On Apr 4, 2016, warren wrote:
In my opinion the best version of a thought of card across is Paul Wilson's Thinking it across, it uses a regular deck and can be done impromptu. You have one red card vanish from a pile of 10 red cards and appear amongst the 10 black cards or the other way round.

I think choosing a good solid version of cards across is very difficult these days due to so much exposure on youtube so choose wisely before investing your time and maybe try out some of the lesser known versions for example maybe John Carey's Interlocking Flyer or Interlocking Sandwich to name just two.

May I know the source where this effect from Paul Wilson taught? Thanks.
Most memorable moment - with Maestro Juan Tamariz & Consuelo Lorgia in FISM Busan 2018.

"Being fooled by a trick doesn't always mean they are having a good time" - Homer Liwag

https://hhpresents.com/
https://www.glitchstudiohk.com/
Sixten
View Profile
Inner circle
Floral Park, NY, U.S.A.
4654 Posts

Profile of Sixten
Maybe I can help?

(I'm not aware of that, above, title) Mr. Wilson has a version on his 'Extreme Possibilities', 2nd. DVD (of 4), item #3, titled: "Thinking It Over."
(It could be what Mr. warren was thinking of?)

Warmest regards,
Sixten Smile
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Sorry for my late reply and thank you Sixten for pointing him in the right direction for me Smile
Steven Leung
View Profile
Inner circle
found the Magic Rainbow after
1614 Posts

Profile of Steven Leung
Quote:
On Apr 5, 2016, Sixten wrote:
Maybe I can help?

(I'm not aware of that, above, title) Mr. Wilson has a version on his 'Extreme Possibilities', 2nd. DVD (of 4), item #3, titled: "Thinking It Over."
(It could be what Mr. warren was thinking of?)

Warmest regards,
Sixten Smile

Thanks Sixten to point to the learning source!
Most memorable moment - with Maestro Juan Tamariz & Consuelo Lorgia in FISM Busan 2018.

"Being fooled by a trick doesn't always mean they are having a good time" - Homer Liwag

https://hhpresents.com/
https://www.glitchstudiohk.com/
chappy
View Profile
Special user
764 Posts

Profile of chappy
I have a version that has its roots in a routine from The Card Magic of E.G. Brown. which is also the basis for the routine performed by Ricky Jay mentioned in another post above.
FARO FUNDAMENTALS, DETAILS OF DECEPTION and THE DEVIL'S STAIRCASE at www.thedevilsstaircase.com
Sixten
View Profile
Inner circle
Floral Park, NY, U.S.A.
4654 Posts

Profile of Sixten
& you're very welcome, Mr. Leung. Smile
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Apr 6, 2016, chappy wrote:
I have a version that has its roots in a routine from The Card Magic of E.G. Brown. which is also the basis for the routine performed by Ricky Jay mentioned in another post above.

I have one too Chappy we've probably both come up with the same handling Smile
chappy
View Profile
Special user
764 Posts

Profile of chappy
Warren,

Possibly, but my guess is they are quite different. While I used the above mentioned routine as a starting point, the resulting routine I perform ended up somewhere quite different. Here is a short description of some of the handling details that may help you compare them: From a borrowed, audience shuffled deck, a spectator removes twenty cards. They look at the first ten cards and simply think of one of them. The performer does not see the faces. The spectator holds onto the ten cards. The remaining ten cards are given to another spectator to hold. Without the spectator naming the thought of card, the performer retrieves the other (destination) packet, counts it to show that an extra (11th) card has "arrived". Without ever naming it, the card is given to the spectator to confirm that it is their thought of card.

If you have any interest it is published in The Devil's Staircase (2014).

Best,
Greg
FARO FUNDAMENTALS, DETAILS OF DECEPTION and THE DEVIL'S STAIRCASE at www.thedevilsstaircase.com
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Chappy, that sounds like a dealer add ie the magician never touches the cards and the spectator does everything Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » What's the best Card's across routine you've ever seen? (30 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL